Newer kernel version as default?

Well, currently linux419 won't boot in VirtualBox. Just created an ISO to test that. Will see how it will go in the coming weeks.

The LTS kernel policy has the advantage to encourage users to try development and beta releases. Many users don't have any problems, some even enjoy trying a development or testing ISO, many realize the benefit for the community which their test of such an ISO would bring. The fact that there are some users who don't care to try a beta ISO doesn't make me too sad.
The result that they don't become Manjaro users can be seen as a positve side effect of the release policy.

This has been discussed a number of times, and it comes down to a number of approaches.

Approach Benefits Drawbacks
Install LTS kernel Known stable kernel, users can keep same kernel for years Newer hardware not necessarily compatible
Install latest stable kernel Best new hardware support Users must manually, frequently, switch to new kernel or be on unmaintained EOL series and find drivers break over time
Install "linux" metapackage which tracks latest stable kernel Users always on latest stable automatically Users find early kernel point-releases introduce regressions and complain about being forced to upgrade

So. Pick your poison - which one of the three potential down-sides is the worst experience for users?

3 Likes

Now that makes way more sense. Default to the LTS kernel, but have the newest kernel as well. Best of both.

If that was possible yet, not much extra work, then that might be something to consider.

On my iGPU I cannot use all the features of amdgpu, for https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#AMD_DC I need a kerenl > 4.14. But that's not a big issue.

Philip!
Here is what I have if I try to install current official iso.

There are many other posts you can find with the same problem.
I respect you, but it is really problem.
I used ubuntu for awhile because of this.
Your advice to use dev iso works for me - now I write this message from Manjaro.
But I can`t understand this situation any way - 4.15 kernel does not have this installation problem, and even ubuntu LTS uses 4.15 as default. Fedora offer 4.16 at start. Manjaro is rolling release stays at 4.14..

1 Like

Not my own situation, but I dealt with a wifi issue earlier today where the adapter did not work on the LTS kernel, but did with 4.18.That happens pretty frequently. Wifi might not prevent an install as long as other means of connection are available, but this must happen fairly often with video or other drivers I would think. Certainly worth thinking about as a possibility.

Both kernels are EOL now and not recommended to be used. Since v4.17 got now tagged as EOL and v4.18 still has issues, we went with the best kernel we had back when creating v17.1 back in December 2017, which was linux414 lts series. Also we had development releases with newer kernels always. Some don't use them as they might be unstable or only offering XFCE, KDE or Gnome. However, all released ISOs are tested at least in VM.

For reference, current 4.18.x series dosn't support whole Intel Core 2 Duo family of processors because of a "rebel" commit.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=239672

LTS kernel works just fine. So maybe latest kernel is better for newer hardware in most cases, but in many cases is worse for older hardware. Newer LTS seems like a good compromise between both worlds in that regard. And dev isos are a great plus for those new installs that need the latest code yes or yes. I like it the way it is now, but that's just me.

4 Likes

I have a machine with Xeon E3110 Xeon L3110 and linux418 works on it.

My bad, maybe whole Wolfdale family aren't affected. But at least lot's on Penryns are. In the link I posted @ archforum there is at least one E5700 (wolfdale) affected, but you know... I swear my Penryn is.

1 Like

There is a significant number affected and that's enough to keep 4.14 default until Manjaro 18 release, IMHO.

I agree 4.14 should be the default, but if 4.18 could be included that would be a win/win.

1 Like

Well, the issue is most likely this commit. I've currently issues with linux417+ due to this. On my Ryzen I can't reboot or shutdown properly.

Here are the changelogs for linux417 and linux418 on that matter.

1 Like

I don't have deep technical experience w/linux, so I may be way off here (at least it is the Newbie forum, lol :wink: )...

Kernel 414 works fine with my hardware, my concern is more with security updates. It seems that 418 has fixes for some of the recent Intel shortcomings, but not 414? That would be the driver for me to want a newer kernel, is to cover the latest of the never ending serious security issues. And here is where my ignorance raises its head, maybe the patches to 414 cover those anyhow, the newer kernels just add other features?

I keep debating upgrading to 418, which seems pretty simple with the Manjaro control center. But, I worry about breaking something. And at least through two stable updates, I have had no issues whatsoever, so I hate to bring some on myself.~

FWIW,

Carol :slight_smile:

I think security fixes get backported to LTS kernels.

3 Likes

Ah, ok, thanks!

So, I guess, nvm, lol... :blush:

1 Like

LTS kernels get all the security fixes. You can check about L1TF for example here. Manjaro 17.1.12 is fully patched against it.

2 Likes

Well, it is not so easy and there are different opinions. It is most important to find out what your use case is: Do you want to minimized administration burden then use an LTS kernel. Do you have enough time to keep with the newest stable releases and install new kernels when they become available, then go with the latest stable kernel. See what Jonathon wrote above

and what Greg Kroah-Harman wrote in his blog

Anyway, it is good that someone asks such questions from time to time.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Sorry for the derail, it just seemed a bit related b/c I thought it might be a reason people might want a newer kernel. :slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by