Nextcloud client refuses to work

So I recently switched from Mint to Manjaro in order to get both my Intel and Nvidia graphic cards working in tandem and, so far, it's been working wonders. However, I was a big user of the Nextcloud client as an open source alternative to services like Dropbox.

On Mint, I just downloaded the appimage and it worked out of the box. On Manjaro, the appimage won't open (Stating that there are some xcb stuff that I don't have installed, except I do) unless you use the following command (that I found on a github thread)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/qt/plugins/platforms ./Nextcloud-2.3.3-x86_64.AppImage

and even then, when I set up everything and the actual syncing process starts, every single download gets cancelled for no apparent reason.

I tried downloading the nextcloud client from the repos of manjaro but it wouldn't even create an icon on the menu for me to open it. I wound up finding a client on the Arch User Repo through the command yaourt but the installation crashed every time I tried, stating that it couldn't edit a directory (I tried using sudo but they don't let you use it because it could ruin your distro)

Please help, I have no previous experience with Arch at all, thanks!

Without actually sharing the errors you are getting it is going to be hard to help you.

That being said, have you tried using the version that is in the AUR instead of the AppImage?

Here are the exact errors for both the appimage and the aur installation through yaourt

AppImage:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

(process:4657): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:42:16.720: g_file_test: assertion 'filename != NULL' failed
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted

For yaourt

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-david/aur-nextcloud-client/src/client_theming-2.3.3/build-linux/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build nextcloud-client.
==> Restart building nextcloud-client ? [y/N]

Do you have base-devel installed?

Also, yaourt is not actively developed. You should consider switching to yay or pamac

I just installed base-devel, and right after that I tried insalling the client through yay and I got a pretty similar error message

==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Starting build()...
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
See also "/home/david/.cache/yay/nextcloud-client/src/client_theming-2.3.3/build-linux/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
    Aborting...
Error making: nextcloud-client

Manjaro has appimagelauncher, which is a helper application for running and integrating appimages.

The Arch Wiki is your friend and should be your first port of call for anything you don't understand.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nextcloud

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aur

As pointed out above yaourt is no longer developed, you should use an alternative like yay or trizen.

If by appimagelauncher you mean that useful pop up that asks if you want to integrate the appimage into the system, then yes, I noticed that and I found it really useful, however using both a terminal and that image launcher I got those errors mentioned above.
As for the wiki, I skimmed through it and realized that it was mostly addressed to people interested in installing the program that would allow you to use your pc or server as remote storage. The program I need, however, is the client, which they do mention briefly, linking to the aur site of the client which is the one I've been trying to install through yaourt and yay. From both of them, though, I still get this error

==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Starting build()...
See also "/home/david/.cache/yay/nextcloud-client/src/client_theming-2.3.3/build-linux/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
    Aborting...
Error making: nextcloud-client

I thought this meant make wasn't installed. If you installed base-devel you should have make installed.

Did you try opening a new terminal? Does which make return results?

This is the result

which: no make in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)

That looks like it isn't installed.

Does it get installed if you run:
sudo pacman -Syu base-devel

Just remember that AUR packages are not officially supported, are user maintained, and are not guaranteed to build in Manjaro.

You should always check the AUR page before installing, understand the dependencies required, and check the comments sections for known issues / workarounds.

The AUR is a great aspect of Arch and Manjaro, but care should be taken when installing / updating all AUR packages.

I don't use Nextcloud, so this question may be irrelevant, but can the owncloud client package in the official repos be used to connect to Nextcloud servers?

Thank you!!
I had used sudo pacman -S base-devel instead of sudo pacman -Syu base-devel(I still don't know what the difference is, but that info is one duck away)
now I managed to actually install it through yay!

Thank you so very much!

Technically, yes, it should work with owncloud since it's simply a webdav connection. That being said, the server I use is intended to be used with nextcloud (both on the browser and as a program). Thankfully, though, I managed to install thanks to you and to dalto!

From what I gather it was a very rookie mistake, but this is the newbie corner after all!

1 Like

Does an upgrade first ...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages

For Nextcloud there is the Flatpak too

the -y perform a partial upgrade, the optimal command should be

sudo pacman -Syyu base-devel --needed

since part of base-devel is already installed

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.nextcloud.Nextcloud :yum:

Try, nextcloud-desktop 2.5.0-1 from aur, if you don't mind that it isn't the stable release (yet)
I'm using it and it works fine on 17.1.12/KDE

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by