"No bootable device" after manual partitioning Manjaro 18.1.3

First off, I admit I am very very new to Manjaro, so I'm afraid any advice will have to be very simple for me to understand.

I have recently been trying to install the latest version of Manjaro on my new laptop, the Acer Aspire E15 -(I can give the exact model if needed). I intend to also dual-boot Windows 10 (as much as I dislike Windows) to run a couple of needed programs. However, that's another topic, and the task I am trying to accomplish is simply manually partitioning Manjaro.

My setup is this: a 256GB nvme SSD, and a 1TB HDD. I wanted to install my system, root, programs, or whatever on the SSD, leaving enough room for Windows later, then mount the HDD as my /home Manjaro folder for storing data. I assume the only way to do that is to manually partition.
However, every single way I have tried to do this has utterly failed, ending up with the dead-end "No bootable device" message from my Acer.

This is what I tried: first, a 512 MiB FAT32 partition with the mount point of /boot/efi and bootflags 'boot' & 'esp', then a 70GB ext4 partition mounted at /, then some swap -- all of which on the SSD. Then I formatted the HDD as ext4 and gave it the mount point of /home. Nothing wrong, right??

However, finishing the installation and rebooting gets me the "no bootable device" thing again. Basically, I have exactly followed this tutorial and it hasn't seemed to work.

Is there something obvious I am missing here?? I know it has to be something with some sort of boot file missing or something, but I'm really clueless, since I have almost zero knowledge in this area.

Any advice on how to fix this, or a proper (better than what I've done) way to manually partition would be HUGELY appreciated.

Some Acer models are difficult to set up uefi boot entries. Take a look at these 2 links. Maybe these can help. If you have a different method to fix, document it here so others can refer to it as well.
Link 1
Link 2

You may want to take a look at this common tread.
Common reference link

2 Likes

Just to confirm, my problem was indeed the Acer Aspire firmware (or whatever you call it) that didn't recognize the Manjaro boot file as legitimate until I added it as a "trusted" file, as shown in the first link in the reply above.

Thanks again so much for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by