No device map

Hi everyone,

I already posted in this forum before, I couldn't resolve my problem but I think I found a way to solve it.

I installed manjaro following the user guide.
And now I can't boot manjaro using grub since it simply doesn't appear, I have to plug the usb key I used for the installation and from there "choose bootloaders" and finally "grub" and there I can boot manjaro.

And after running sudo update-grub the following message appears :

Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.2-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.2-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.2-x86_64-fallback.img
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

It's saying to check my device.map file, and after checking, it appears that this file doesn't exist.
I went on every forum I could for a few days, but the only command I could find to generate this file is : "grub-mkdevicemap", however in return I get a command not found error.

I tried reinstalling grub but that didn't solve the problem.

I'm quite lost, any help is welcome!

Thanks

normal user cannot create file in system folder
try using:
sudo grub-mkdevicemap

Can you post the partitioning and grub.cfg?

This is not your actual problem. It's about LiveISO usb drive and is normal.
Read this, specially the Uefi Additional commands section workaround and apply for your drive/partitions setup (read thoroughly).

1 Like

OP has read it. As the 2 excellent links in it on Acer.
Problem is, the link where it is required to enable secure boot and then set manjaro grub as 'trusted' in Acer's bios may not have been done faithfully. But perhaps it may be true that his version of Acer may just not be of the same method, or even not possible.

Anyway we done our job, whether OP can succeed is another matter.
Good luck and wish OP the best.

1 Like

But we should raise/advise against double posting!!
:tired_face:

That is understandable and quite rightly so if the OP hopes that others, like you, can have a better solution than those given in the other topic. I'm not at all disappointed, far from offended.

And if you or others have a idea, whether it works or not, is quite welcome by me too. Far from displeased. That's how we all improve. Cannot take things personally, or worse egoistically.

Cheers, partner.

The point of not double posting has nothing to do with egoism or other low level human properties, rather about full info, in order to help OP. I thought it was clear to all.
Maybe different spirit tonight?

1 Like

Ok, got it. You are right.
Perhaps I'm just trying to justify the OP's reasons. And probably not necessary too.
Cheers.

2 Likes

I chose to create a new topic because the problem, indeed has to do with another post, but it's a problem that people could experience without having the first problem.

To me it was a problem different enough from the first one.

Hope that these sentences mean something :thinking:

Thanks anyway for replying, I'm glad you did not take it personally gohlip, it was not my intention since I just wanted to discuss another topic.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by