No grub after installation alongside Win10

Hi all,

I just finished install Manjaro after spending a while on a borked Solus install.

I've been dual-booting alongside Win10 and I was hoping to continue to do that, but after installing Manjaro I'm no longer prompted by grub to choose an OS. Upon entering my encryption key when prompted by LUKS, it just sends me right into Manjaro. I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this, as I'm reasonably sure I made the /boot/efi partition correctly.

sudo parted -l

gives me:

Model: ATA ST4000DM000-2AE1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name                  Flags
 2      1049kB  2101GB  2101GB  ntfs            Basic data partition  msftdata
 1      2101GB  2102GB  650MB   ext4
 3      2102GB  2110GB  8598MB  linux-swap(v1)                        swap
 4      2110GB  4001GB  1890GB

Model: ATA Samsung SSD 840 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB  105MB   primary  ntfs         boot
 2      106MB   222GB  222GB   primary  ntfs
 4      222GB   222GB  537MB   primary  fat32        lba
 3      222GB   250GB  27.7GB  primary

I'd spend more time on this right now, but it's approaching 1:30 AM. Motivation is getting low and I need to throw my backed up school files onto this OS for class tomorrow. I'd appreciate some input.

Hello,
You did all fine, just press Esc after BIOS logo and the GRUB menu will show up.
Also have a read here

It doesn't seem to be working that way, unfortunately. When I press escape before the LUKS prompt I'm greeted by this:

20200401_075856

when I press escape after LUKS, all I get is this before booting into Manjaro:

20200401_075953

I put sudo grub-editenv - unset menu_auto_hide through terminal and it didn't change anything.

Ah ... ok, now is more clear, but still out of my expertise. I don't quite understand why you get the no such cryptodisk found and how to set it back to the correct one .
Maybe this will help

I'm completely unfamiliar with chroot, how is it applicable to my situation? Can I access/edit grub from Manjaro with it?

You should be able to do what is explained in that link, yes. :slight_smile:

Your partition scheme looks strange to me. You have a gpt partitioned disk sda without /boot/efi partition and a msdos partitioned disk sdb where partition 4 looks like a /boot/efi partition. Windows is definitely installed in legacy mode so, to boot both systems from grub menu I would expect you to have both OS installed in the same mode. In case you installed Manjaro in legacy mode please read here what this means for grub:

1 Like

Yeah I know it's odd. This system has seen Mint, Solus, and now Manjaro in dual-boot with Windows over the last 3-4 years, and I vaguely remember Mint not playing nice with whatever UEFI/BIOS settings I had at the time (Secure Boot, I think?). It was my first Linux installation so I probably bungled something along the way that snowballed as I installed/fumbled with Solus.

Blockquote
Windows is definitely installed in legacy mode so, to boot both systems from grub menu I would expect you to have both OS installed in the same mode.

Well the Manjaro installer complained when I didn't set /boot as EFI, so I installed Manjaro in EFI mode.

At this point, should I just reformat my SSD using GPT and reinstall both OSs? I can back up my important files that are currently on Manjaro, and all my important Windows files are on the NTFS partition of the HDD. This seems to be the most direct approach to fixing the underlying problem, but I'm terribly inexperienced so I'm not sure.

Yes, this would be the best solution. Start with Windows first.

Then follow this guide:

1 Like

I'll get on it later today then. I've got some school stuff to bang out before I go about nuking two operating systems. I'll report back when it's done. Thanks for the prompt assistance and suggestions so far.

20200401_190241

Success! Thanks again guys!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by