No networking after minimal installation: NetworkManager.service not enabled

HOW TO REPRODUCE:

• Using Manjaro Architect, install Deepin minimal (perhaps also with other setups)

RESULT:

• No networking using any interface, as NetworkManager.service is not enabled by default.

WORK-AROUND:

sudo systemctl start NetworkManager.service
sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

@Chrysostomus @linux-aarhus

2 Likes

No idea what might cause it, networkmanager is enabled in the profile. Do you get this with any other edition? Do you have the installer log file?

I haven't tested, but I will do so and let you know :ok_hand:

1 Like

By the way, where's the code for that package list?

While trying to test the bug, a second one appeared.

I was trying to install Manjaro on an external drive, but during the desktop selection Architect crashed.

Interestingly that bug is due to a missing coma surrounding 'NetworkManager' :smirk:

1 Like

Changing the coma haven't fixed the initial bug.

I'm trying to find the installation log, but I cannot see it anywhere.

20200219_000657

Nothing on the target /mnt. Where is the log supposed to be?

It seems editing gitlab with a mobile device has its perils.

/mnt is where the root of your new installation was mounted. After closing the installer it gets unmounted. On your installed system it should be /.m-a.log

Log

02/18/20 22:59:46 enable avahi-daemon cronie ModemManager NetworkManager tlp tlp-sleep ufw  Failed to enable unit, unit tlp-sleep.service does not exist

Can you test if any of these services was enabled? I wonder if the one bad service is killing the whole loop. But even then, networkmanager should have gotten enabled before the loop died...

None is enabled.

Thank you! This confirms my suspicion.

It should now be fixed for most profiles.

2 Likes

Thank you :clap: :star_struck:

Likely it would also be a good idea that Architect stopped the installation on error, rather than silently continuing with it.

For that only the following command at the beginning of each .sh file is needed:

set -e

And making sure errors are logged into a noticeable place for the user. For example now Architect closes the terminal window on exit, just instructing the .desktop file to leave it open would do it.

Also there's this tool I use for these scenarios, silently, just in case you wanted to have a look. What it does is making error logging saner just by logging the exact line that made a program crash.

I would prefer it to enable the services that exist and report the nonexistent ones. People break their iso-profiles so often that having the installer error out on those would not be a viable approach.

Error logging could use much improvement. Unfortunately I don't have as much time with manjaro-architect as I would like to. If you wish to contribute to it, you are welcome to do so:

=== LIKELY NOT FIXED ===

I think that with the current list Architect will still crash, as neither bluetooth or org.cups.cupsd are installed with deepin minimal.

In fact most likely we don't need both a full installation and a minimal installation. Just providing a base system, with only the very basic tools, will do it.

=== MISSING BASIC UTILS ===

Also the current deepin minimal profile seems to be missing some of those basic utils.

I have also installed these which are like a must have for any system:

deepin-screenshot deepin-system-monitor eom mate-calc noto-fonts-emoji p7zip pluma qbittorrent soundfont-fluid soundfont-fluid unrar variety vlc vlc-plugin-fluidsynth yelp

And I have uninstalled these (among others):

deepin-calendar deepin-editor deepin-music gufw hexchat

=== CONTRIBUTING ===

The thing is that if I contributed to Architect I would be changing so many things that most likely it would be ending a completely different installer. As I simply think that the Architect design, even when useful, is quite prone to mistakes and takes too long to complete an installation.

So even before this conversation I decided to do that, instead of firefighting the bugs.

The thing is this will take some time, and I have to fix some problems before that. For example the problem that I cannot longer publish software in Arch Linuxes.

I've also considered rewriting manjaro-architect from scratch in either python or bash. To first make a noninteractive and scriptable CLI-installer, and then add a curses TUI interface for it to generate configuration.

That option is already available in another menu branch.

The main installation method (pull iso-profiles and use them as template for the installation) has the problem that it requires maintainers to keep their iso-profiles up to date. I designed it this way in hopes that it would make m-a resilient to changes and iso-profiles would be maintained organically, but in practice it has meant that I have to semi maintain all the editions.

Anyway, if you are interned in collaborating on a installer project at some point, let me know.

1 Like

The root cause of this is that testing the profiles takes time, as Architect doesn't validate them but relies on crashing for testing.

If validating profiles was instant the contribution problem will go away. Also automatically exposing which no longer meet the requirements to their contributors would be interesting.

I have many ideas related to this. When the time comes I will make some prototypes and we could talk on them.

Thanks again :ok_hand: :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by