nss>=3.51.1-1 and lib32-nss>=3.51.1-1 updates require manual intervention

i can confirm that i needed to use

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib\*/p11-kit-trust.so

to update my system.

updating failed otherwise (with the mentioned error messages)!

2 Likes

If this is going to be required for the stable branch, perhaps manjaro-system can be updated to do the manual intervention for them? It has been done before when packages that are installed on almost every single Manjaro install require manual intervention @philm

2 Likes

I can confirm I also had to do this last night on XFCE.

manjaro-system package can handle it without user input after applying proper changes in @philm . :wink:

1 Like

I've been using EndeavourOS since that launched, and Antergos before that, to be as close to the Arch base as I could with an easy to use installer. I have not yet tried Manjaro, but after this nss-* upgrade manual intervention on all of my 6+ machines in the house, I'm frustrated to say the least.... I really have come to the point of loathing manual intervention upgrades like this, after doing them for the past how many years...

Does Manjaro fix these issues while they hold back updates until stability can be tested? I would gladly switch all my machines if the holdbacks on updates prove worthwhile for stableness.

Normally yes, here's the last time manual intervention was required: [Stable-Staging Update] 2020-03-23 - Kernels, KDE Frameworks 5.68, Gnome 3.36, LibreOffice 6.4.2

Like FadeMind says manjaro-system can do the manual interventions for the user

What? Someone foisted Arch onto 6 machines? What a dirty, lowlife scoundrel! :smiley:

Seriously, one little copy/paste line. Considering the time it would take to install & setup Arch + DE on six machines, that doesn't sound like a horribly difficult required intervention. Those happen fairly infrequently, as can be noted on the Archlinux homepage, right?

2 Likes

It's not just the running 1 line on 6 machines that frustrating. It's taking the time to make sure I do it on all the machines, and I know it happens infrequently, it's just I don't really want to futz with it anymore like I used to. I liked delving into the command line, breaking things to fix them, etc.. but these days, I'd rather have stability over breakages, but want to continue rolling release systems.

I don't recall the last time I had "breakage" on my Arch systems. Rolling releases do require a modicum of diligence on the part of the user. If a user is unwilling in that regard, there's just no sense running one. Best to go with a fixed-release.

Sure, that's easy to understand. Since you value stability but want it in a rolling release type of OS, have you considered CentOS Stream? It's a "slow" roller but is as stable as stable gets, since it's a Red Hat animal. I have had no problems with it.

regards

Thanks for the heads-up. I've got the news feed in my rss reader but I don't always have it open before updating. And whenever security-related items are involved (nss in this case,) I always reboot for good measure. :slightly_smiling_face:

OK, I got this today:

yay -Syu
[sudo] password for oldrocker99: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) lib32-nss-3.51.1-1  nss-3.51.1-1

Total Installed Size:  7.95 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
nss: /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
lib32-nss: /usr/lib32/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
Error installing repo packages
[oldrocker99@oldrocker99-nitroan51542 ~]$ yay -Syu
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date

Packages (1) nss-3.51.1-1

Total Installed Size:  5.02 MiB

(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
nss: /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
Error installing repo packages
**[oldrocker99@oldrocker99-nitroan51542 ~]$ pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib\*/p11-kit-trust.so**
error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root.
[oldrocker99@oldrocker99-nitroan51542 ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib\*/p11-kit-trust.so
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date

Packages (1) nss-3.51.1-1

Total Installed Size:  5.02 MiB

(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) upgrading nss                                [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
[oldrocker99@oldrocker99-nitroan51542 ~]$

I did manage to delete one file and reinstall, then I saw this on the Arch forum, dated today:[(https://www.archlinux.org/news/nss3511-1-and-lib32-nss3511-1-updates-require-manual-intervention/

And that fixed it.

In other words, The Arch forums can be invaluable.

And yes, I'm using the Unstable branch. :crazy_face:

1 Like

And yet you're running on the unstable branch. :wink:

2 Likes

I'm trying to be a good citizen, and the unstable branch lets me do testing (this is the first error I've gotten since I changed branched).

1 Like

Which is a great thing to do. You just can't complain that something in Arch needed manual intervention when you're running package versions effectively on-par with Arch.

If this affects people running stable then people will complain a lot - and rather more understandably.

1 Like

Next time just use the forum search if you find an issue and post in the right topic. But the general attitude is fine! :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course, do you have a USB stick with the latest Manjaro on hand to fix in the Live session with CHROOT what was damaged by the last update? It can be difficult without these tools. Someday :thinking:

I have the Arch news site set up as my second Firefox homepage. Its rare that manual intervention is necessary but I rather always take 2 seconds before updating.

2 Likes

Thanks for helping make Manjaro great! On unstable, I always check the Arch newswire prior to updates. Usually you'll find stuff like this and know to expect it for your unstable update.

https://www.archlinux.org/news/nss3511-1-and-lib32-nss3511-1-updates-require-manual-intervention/

:arch: :crazy_face: :manjaro:

1 Like

I have (not really knowing about the Arch newswire prior to your mentioning it) placed the site in my bookmarks folder. I am very happy to know about it. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

First time in over a year I had to use --overwrite on Arch.
What's the world becoming? :rofl:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by