Nvidia 440xx is not detected in my system

So I'm in an optimus system, intel + nvidia 960m, and I had installed nvidia-435xx, now I uninstalled that one and installed nvidia-440xx.

Screenshot_20200426_120705

The issue is that manjaro doesnt detect the new driver, this is what the system sees:

]$  inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting FAILED: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 

So is there some way to fix this?

You have dual-gfx and decided to install nvidia-440 alone. Luckily you still had xf86-video-intel installed .. otherwise you probably wouldnt have been able to boot.

Anyways .. thats not what you want.
See those actual hybrid choices? The 'prime' ones? Thats what you want.
Then you can check

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
2 Likes

Have you seen this tutorial:

Thats old .. we should probably fix that.
We now have ready-made prime selections available in mhwd/MSM as you can see above.

nvidia now supports optimus systems in linux, so there is no need to use bumblebee or prime, its just to use the normal driver and then to run a game with the nvidia card by using

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia %command% 

previously I was using video-nvidia-435xx, and now I switched to 440xx

Well as you can see it takes a little more setup than that.
PRIME selection automates this for you.
Besides what the profile install does in the background the definition of 'prime-run' is

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia "$@"

(oh yeah - btw .. this only works with 'modesetting' for intel .. so the older i915 xf86-video-intel being in use as shown by your output would definitely make your PRIME things impossible)

1 Like

So if I install the nvidia 440xx prime version, will it work in my case?

Its what its made for ..
I dont know what obstacles your past self may or may not have erected.

Thanks a lot, that worked, and I love to have this kind of stuff automated for me.

As a fun story, checking my old messages here I realized last time I installed the raw video-nvidia-435xx but I made it work thanks to some xorg configuration that I'm glad I did not have to touch this time

Great. Yeah.. thats the idea. For a while PRIME was only available with nouveau .. then only select cards with nvidia .. once some things were in place it basically usurped bumblebee (and just about anything else) as the preferred way to do it - hence the mhwd profiles.
This wasnt that long ago though .. so some tuts/faqs/wiki needs to updated to better reflect this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by