Nvidia 450 drivers

Is there any way I can test the latest Nvidia drivers (450). My laptop has 2 GPUs. All external monitors connect via the Nvidia GPU and at the moment the only way to use an external monitor is by disabling the intel GPU from the BIOS. I read that the new drivers can allow external monitors to work without having to disable the intel GPU.

I kinda doubt thats necessary. Heck, even if nvidia somehow couldnt handle multiple monitors (it can) .. then you would want both the intel and the nvidia so that one of them can be used for rendering output on the second screen.

But if you want to .. you can try and grab the beta/dev builds and apply them manually .. you may have to gut mhwd as well to avoid conflicts.
(ex there is nvidia-beta in the AUR)

To be clear - this isnt an 'easy' task for 'newbies' .. I wouldnt really recommend it in general..
best make backups if you decide to go ahead.

Until it makes it into Manjaro Repo, you're going to have to use it via AUR:

You only need one of those packages.

What you do mean by you doubt that's necessary ? If I don't disable the intel GPU from the BIOS, my external monitor doesn't work. It is common knowledge that this is the case for people with laptops where all external monitors connect to the Nvidia GPU.

I actually tried one of them and didn't notice any difference.

Are you sure you were actually running 450 with those packages? Did you check inxi -G?

You mean you are forcing it to use nvidia only and not something like PRIME (most likely intel by default)
Just because you havent configured that to work with 2 monitors doesnt mean its impossible.

Otherwise, assuming you set up something like PRIME, your only real 'find' there is that the intel isnt working well with the dual-monitors .. which itself is a solveable issue.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead

(what you would need to do is create a working xorg conf)

Do I need to first remove the current drivers (440) ?

Here's the output of inxi -G.

Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] driver: nvidia v: 440.100
Device-3: Chicony Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.4

I do not know how NVIDIA stuff works on Linux, so you'll have to read on that:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

OK. So that looks like a normal PRIME set up.

(you know .. where you use prime-run to invoke the nvidia)

So .. to set the dual-monitor to work with your dual-gpu .. you probbaly need to make something similar to this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead#Example:_dualhead_configuration_using_relative_coordinates_with_custom_resolutions

Or maybe that was all common knowledge .. it is in the wiki ... so :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by