NVIDIA Driver not detected, new installation, new laptop Nvidia 2070 MAX

I've just installed Manjaro 19 ISO on a new laptop I've bought and it doesn't seem to detect the new graphics card. It seems to be a hybrid Intel and Nvidia 2070.

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile / Max-Q Refresh] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: nouveau resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.7 direct render: Yes 

In Manaro settings it says that it only has the video-linux drivers installed, where I was expecting the Non-Free drivers.

How or where can I get the proper driver installed, without breaking my system?

First, have you choosen the nonfree option at the start of the installation ? Second, please post the output of 'inxi -Fxz' to the forum, that we are able to get an overview. What kind of gui etc. with your small snippet can no one work.

I didn't get the option to instll the non free during installation.. not that I remember.. it just installed without asking any questions like that.

System:    Host: NatsDellG5 Kernel: 5.7.0-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 Desktop: Gnome 3.36.3 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: G5 5500 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 06P54X v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.2.1 date: 05/08/2020 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 67.9 Wh condition: 67.9/68.0 Wh (100%) model: SMP DELL 72WGV05 status: Full 
           Device-1: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse MX Master 3 charge: 100% (should be ignored) 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-10750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: N/A L2 cache: 12.0 MiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 62431 
           Speed: 1272 MHz min/max: 800/5000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1298 2: 1297 3: 1255 4: 1253 5: 1243 6: 1255 7: 1211 
           8: 1254 9: 1250 10: 1299 11: 1260 12: 1253 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile / Max-Q Refresh] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: nouveau resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.7 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Dell driver: sof-audio-pci bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Device-2: NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.0-3-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 vendor: Bigfoot Networks driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 00:14.3 
           IF: wlp0s20f3 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 368.45 GiB (39.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital model: WDS100T3XHC-00SJG0 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: Samsung model: PM991 NVMe 512GB size: 476.94 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 223.63 GiB used: 25.33 GiB (11.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme1n1p7 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 78.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 50 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 345 Uptime: 28m Memory: 15.40 GiB used: 4.16 GiB (27.0%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 Shell: zsh 
           v: 5.8 inxi: 3.0.37

everyone get this option at start of the installation.

Purhaps I missed it? How do I get it back?

Only if you reinstall.

Quite possible that you do not have options for proprietary drivers in MHWD UI because that GPU is not yet in the MHWD database. You can try from terminal to run:
sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime
Make sure you fully update the system first, and make sure you read this

Those drivers "appeared" to install without any problem. But Manjaro settings still says the same thing: "Unknown Device Name (nVidia Corporation). But there is no option to use the non-free drivers it's all the opern source ones still. Is there something I am missing? nVidia X Server Configuration program seems to see it and connect to it though

Report back what this commands show:
prime-run glxinfo |grep glx
and
glxinfo |grep glx
I guess you rebooted the system.

What part of this

was not clear ?

prime-run glxinfo |grep glx:

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:

glxinfo |grep glx:

server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:

What part of this was not clear?

The part where I have no idea what that means... lol... I'm still new, still trying to figure out what is what... sorry for being naive.

Means the Nvidia GPU works fine

Without prime-run is using the integrated GPU. :slight_smile:

Still, the issue of understanding was related to the fact that MHWD doesn't recognize the Nvidia GPU to display the name and model correctly, but it managed to install the correct drivers.
For now you run on prime-offload when using prime-run
You can use that to make an application to use the Nvidia GPU. For example:
prime-run blender
or
prime-run firefox

No need to apologize, being unexperienced is nothing to be sorry about. Just make sure you reed trough the tutorial i shared. More things will become obvious and you will understand better a lot of things. :wink:

I finally figured out what was happening.. I was trying to run games in steam and it always looked like it was running with the intel GPU instead of the 2070 GPU. The difference seemed to be running prime-run %command% within steam. Meaning it was there, but it wasn't automatically running like I was expecting it to (as it did with my previous laptop).
Now that I know what prime-run does... it makes a lot more sense to me.

1 Like

Glad you sort that out. Indeed it requires just a bit of investigation, and once it becomes clear how it works on Linux, all things get better :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by