NVIDIA Driver Problem (Primusrun & Optirun Performance Issue)

Does Manjaro install prime drivers on install?

I don't remember it doing this for my newer 1660 Super nvidia card on my desktop, and I have an intel gpu re the processor. When I installed Manjaro it setup my intel gpu drivers, which for me (desktop pc) was what I wanted. I then on boot, manually installed the proprietary nvidia 440 drivers and offered a fond farewell to the intel gpu. It never offered any prime/hybrid setup for me.

Manjaro never "offers" driver setups during install. You only choice is to use free or none-free, rest is done automatic depending on your hardware. If you are not happy with the choice, you can still change it after the install.

Till recently, Manjaro installed Bumblebee on all hybrid laptops, only very recently that probably changed, since many users claim to have hybrid prime drivers from the start. So it depends on WHEN you installed Manjaro. My install was 4 years ago so I did have and used Bumblebee for a long time. Then when DXVK and Proton showed up, I had to use nvidia-xrun, but then I decided to use optimus-manager and this is what I'm at right now and I'm happy.

Since my assumption is based on user posts, I can't be sure. It may well be that Bumblebee is still the default setup. However, with older GPUs that don't support 440xx or never drivers, it's still Bumblebee.

Prime Hybrid setup is a very new thing. It isn't even a full year till it showed up. No matter if Bumblebee is still default or not, you can easily switch to hybrid prime driver. However, with optimus-manager it doesn't matter that much, it works if you have initially bumblebee or hybrid prime setup. Mind you, we are talking here only about Nvidia and non-free drivers.

Thanks for the info, I was just curious. I have been using Manjaro for...I guess 3 years, maybe 4, but I recently built a new desktop and upgraded all my parts in the last 4 months or so. I think the 1660 Super support had just entered the 440xx drivers, so that could have been why also, not sure. Good to know regardless.

I would say that I started seeing 440xx prime hybrid drivers frequently on newbies topics since ca. 2-3 months. On the beginning of this year, Bumblebee was the default, so if it changed then it is a recent thing. Again, I may be wrong. Someone from Manjaro devs should confirm or deny that.

1 Like

First of all, thank you for this huge explanation.

I didn't know the origin of bumblebee.
Now I get it why it's performance isn't perfect.

Thanks for your tutorial but my GTX660M hasn't got Vulkan support I guess.

I think if other distros provide me the PRIME service, Manjaro can too, and should.
I don't play any games actually, only login for daily reward in DST.
But I really want to trust Manjaro %100 for everything, that's the problem.

I will search and try the optimus-manager, thanks so much.

Bumblebee is very prone to issues. For me it worked well, but I saw many times that on fresh installs it was erroring out. It does have overhead, much bigger than DXVK but it's not show stopping. It is possible that your bad performance is not because of bumblebee, but because bumblebee wasn't working at all.

So at the moment I see such choices for you:

• figuring out optimus-manager and make it work
  • if no, optimus-switch is simpler option that tends to work if optimus-manager fails
  • going back to bumblebee and figuring out if it works correctly
  • using nvidia-xrun
  • setting Nvidia only setup manually - there is guide here on the forum

Note that some solutions cancel each out, some don't. Bumblebee and nvidia-xrun doesn't work with optimus-manager, so if you want to try them out, you should uninstall it, bring back your old configs and enable bumblebee, then you can experiment with bumblebee or nvidia-xrun.

1 Like

I installed it successfully but there is an error that I miss I guess.
It didn't work.

Let's start from the beginning;
First I checked my DM;

[user@PC ~]$ journalctl -u gdm.service
-- Logs begin at Thu 2020-06-18 21:14:59 +03, end at Sat 2020-06-20 20:39:07 +03. --
-- No entries --

[user@PC ~]$ journalctl -u sddm.service
-- Logs begin at Thu 2020-06-18 21:14:59 +03, end at Sat 2020-06-20 20:39:07 +03. --
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC systemd[1]: Started Simple Desktop Display Manager.
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Initializing...
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Starting...
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Logind interface found
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Adding new display on vt 1 ...
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Loading theme configuration from ""
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Display server starting...
Haz 18 21:15:01 PC sddm[860]: Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{a9ee2b64-4543-4154-bbec-ae1376b50>
Haz 18 21:15:02 PC sddm[860]: Setting default cursor
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm[860]: Running display setup script  "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup"
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm[860]: Display server started.
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm[860]: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop"
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm[860]: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop"
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm[860]: Session "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop" selected, command: "/usr/bin/startplasma-x>
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm[860]: Adding cookie to "/var/run/sddm/{a9ee2b64-4543-4154-bbec-ae1376b502d1}"
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm-helper[1089]: [PAM] Starting...
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm-helper[1089]: [PAM] Authenticating...
Haz 18 21:15:03 PC sddm-helper[1089]: pam_kwallet5(sddm-autologin:auth): (null): pam_sm_authenticate

It is sddm, so I followed this: https://github.com/dglt1/optimus-switch-sddm

[user@PC ~]$ sudo pacman -S linux56-headers acpi_call-dkms xorg-xrandr xf86-video-intel git
warning: xorg-xrandr-1.5.1-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: git-2.27.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: acpi_call-dkms and linux414-acpi_call are in conflict (acpi_call). Remove linux414-acpi_call? [y/N] y
:: acpi_call-dkms and linux56-acpi_call are in conflict (acpi_call). Remove linux56-acpi_call? [y/N] y

Packages (9) dkms-2.8.1-3  libxvmc-1.0.12-3  linux414-acpi_call-1.1.0-155 [removal]
             linux56-acpi_call-1.1.0-20 [removal]  acpi_call-dkms-1.1.0-287  git-2.27.0-1  linux56-headers-5.6.16-1
             xf86-video-intel-1:2.99.917+908+g7181c5a4-1  xorg-xrandr-1.5.1-2

Total Download Size:   16,22 MiB
Total Installed Size:  91,22 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      49,85 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 linux56-headers-5.6.16-1-x86_64              9,6 MiB  1221 KiB/s 00:08 [########################################] 100%
 dkms-2.8.1-3-any                            53,5 KiB  1783 KiB/s 00:00 [########################################] 100%
 xorg-xrandr-1.5.1-2-x86_64                  36,8 KiB  1838 KiB/s 00:00 [########################################] 100%
 git-2.27.0-1-x86_64                          6,6 MiB  1233 KiB/s 00:05 [########################################] 100%
 acpi_call-dkms-1.1.0-287-x86_64             11,7 KiB  0,00   B/s 00:00 [########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking keys in keyring                                          [########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking package integrity                                        [########################################] 100%
(7/7) loading package files                                             [########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking for file conflicts                                       [########################################] 100%
(9/9) checking available disk space                                     [########################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) removing linux56-acpi_call                                        [########################################] 100%
  > Updating module dependencies...
(2/2) removing linux414-acpi_call                                       [########################################] 100%
  > Updating module dependencies...
(1/7) installing linux56-headers                                        [########################################] 100%
(2/7) installing dkms                                                   [########################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for dkms
    linux-headers: build modules against the Arch kernel [installed]
    linux-lts-headers: build modules against the LTS kernel
    linux-zen-headers: build modules against the ZEN kernel
    linux-hardened-headers: build modules against the HARDENED kernel
(3/7) installing acpi_call-dkms                                         [########################################] 100%
(4/7) reinstalling xorg-xrandr                                          [########################################] 100%
(5/7) installing libxvmc                                                [########################################] 100%
(6/7) installing xf86-video-intel                                       [########################################] 100%
>>> This driver now uses DRI3 as the default Direct Rendering
    Infrastructure. You can try falling back to DRI2 if you run
    into trouble. To do so, save a file with the following 
    content as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :
      Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "DRI" "2"             # DRI3 is now default 
        #Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna" # default
        #Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa" # fallback
      EndSection
Optional dependencies for xf86-video-intel
    libxrandr: for intel-virtual-output [installed]
    libxinerama: for intel-virtual-output [installed]
    libxcursor: for intel-virtual-output [installed]
    libxtst: for intel-virtual-output [installed]
    libxss: for intel-virtual-output [installed]
(7/7) reinstalling git                                                  [########################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/5) Creating system user accounts...
(2/5) Reloading system manager configuration...
(3/5) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(4/5) Updating module dependencies...
(5/5) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install acpi_call/1.1.0 -k 5.6.16-1-MANJARO
==> Unable to install module acpi_call/1.1.0 for kernel 4.14.183-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.

Only 1 error, but it is about kernel 4.14, so I continued.

[user@PC optimus-switch-sddm]$ sudo ./install.sh 
[sudo] password for user: 
##################################################################
# be sure you have all requirements BEFORE running this script  ##
# linux*-headers acpi_call-dkms xf86-video-intel git xorg-xrandr##
# ****installing in 5 sec... CTRL+C to abort****                ##

#errors about removing files can be ignored, i wrote this script##
#with the most common files in mind, you will not have all of   ##
#them, this is ok!                                              ##
## IF YOU HAVE ERRORS ABOUT COPYING FILES, SOMETHING IS WRONG   ##
## MAKE SURE THIS IS RUN WITH SUDO AND FROM DIRECTORY           ##
## ~/optimus-switch-sddm/  (this is very important!!!)          ##

Removing current nvidia prime setup if applicable, file not found can be ignored......
Removing gpu configurations from /etc/X11/mhwd.d/  .......
Removing gpu configurations from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ........
Removing gpu configurations from /etc/modprobe.d/  ........
Removing gpu configurations from /etc/modules-load.d/
removing any display setup scripts.....
Copying contents of ~/optimus-switch-sddm/* to /etc/ .......
Copying set-intel.sh and set-nvidia.sh to /usr/local/bin/

Setting nvidia prime mode (sudo set-nvidia.sh).......

Setting permissions........

Currently boot mode is set to nvidia prime.

you can switch to intel only mode with sudo set-intel.sh and reboot.

same can be done for nvidia prime mode with sudo set-nvidia.sh

Install finished!

It was installed, so I used "sudo set-nvidia.sh" and reboot.

Opened the DST game, tested it

FPS: 50.6 :confused:
I could play it 60 fps, so it didn't work.

user@PC ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +79.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +66.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +62.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +66.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +69.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +106.0°C)
temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +106.0°C)
temp3:        +80.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

I couldn't get the GPU's temperature because nvidia-settings is not working.

[user@PC ~]$ nvidia-settings 
ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

By the way, running optimus-manager still gets error:

[user@PC ~]$ optimus-manager 
ERROR: a GPU setup was initiated but Xorg post-start hook did not run.
Log at /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20200620T212515.log
If your login manager is GDM, make sure to follow those instructions:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager#important--gnome-and-gdm-users
If your display manager is neither GDM, SDDM nor LightDM, or if you don't use one, read the wiki:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/FAQ,-common-issues,-troubleshooting
Cannot execute command because of previous errors.

[user@PC ~]$ cat /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20200620T212515.log
[18] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
[18] INFO: Requested mode is: intel
[18] INFO: Checking for GDM display servers
[421] INFO: Available modules: ['nouveau', 'acpi_call', 'nvidia', 'nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm']
[421] INFO: Unloading modules ['nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm', 'nvidia'] (if loaded)
[774] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
[775] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
[775] INFO: Writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
[775] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_post_xorg_start', 'switch_id': '20200620T212515', 'requested_mode': 'intel'}
[776] INFO: Xorg pre-start hook completed successfully.

It checks GDM, but mine is SDDM.
So I don't know how to fix this :confused:

But it looks like the main problem is, running the optimus-manager successfully.

edit: I forgot, ran the "sudo set-intel.sh" and reboot.
NVIDIA still is in the list.

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GTX 660M] driver: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.0.7 

I'm confused. Optimus-switch or optimus-manager? Those two are different setups and won't work with each other. I use optimus-manager, never tried optimus-switch so can't help with that.

Also, with optimus-manager YOU DO NOT RUN nvidia settings, it will ruing your optimus-manager configs.

Did you edit the SDDM conf as showed in the guide?

Oh sorry, I thought it was about optimus-manager (facepalm)

It is late here, tomorrow I will search tutorials about optimus-manager,
manjaro's guide looks very nice, I think I can do it.

If I get an error, can I tag you?

Sure, although you did so many things already, that it's very likely to mess it up unfortunately, unless you keep meticulous notes or have backups so you are able to reverse to the default setup.

That's usually the hardship - it's never a clean slate, and then we have to figure out what is wrong.

I stuck before the install optimus-manager.
I think I should install the Nvidia driver before installing optimus-manager, so these are my steps:

1. Fresh install
  2. Installed updates and reboot
  3. Removed video-linux driver and installed video-nvidia-390xx and reboot
  4. Stuck in black boot screen.
  5. Reinstalled a fresh Manjaro for posting this message.

Shouldn't I install the video-nvidia-390xx?
Should I install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee?
I thought, if I want to use optimus-manager, I shouldn't install bumblebee.

There is confusion here. You say:

then you say:

The thing that people usually fail to understand is that MHWD shows CONFIGURATIONS, that include driver packages or other related packages with their configurations, so they would work correctly in certain hardware combos.

Drivers itself are a different thing:

• AMD drivers have in kernel and some crucial additional components for it is Mesa
  • Nvidia proprietary packages include nvidia-440xx-utlis packages plus kernel modules like linux56-nvidia-440xx (numbers depend on driver series and the kernel you use), plus there are 32bit versions of drivers that are also needed for some games.

When it comes to Nvidia drivers, since they come from Arch and have vanilla configs, most likely, without proper configuration, installing them will cause your X session fail to start, unless you are advanced user and know how to manually preprepare configs. Because of that it is strongly advised to avoid installing drivers directly on Manjaro! For that we have MHWD, which is simply a script with preconfigured combination of packages and configs to install. Oftentimes, to install one MHWD configuration, you must uninstall the previous one and this has to be done in the same graphical session, unless you risk not booting to graphical environment.

We have constantly Manjaro newbies who treat Manjaro as Ubuntu and meddle with driver packages and then come here for support because they are stuck in black screen. Arch is for advanced users, hence MHWD exists, but people ignore it and assume that installing drivers as packages is safe. Not it is not.

Another troubling thing is, when you use MHWD manually, you can choose whatever configuration you see on the list, but it's not guaranteed to work, because some configurations are better suited or not, plus MHWD script is not perfect and cannot account all possible hardware configurations.

So note the default configuration that does work after OS install, once you stuck in black screen in the future, log into tty, delete the current MHWD configuration and install the default one. Sometimes the script will show you error because you installed some conflicting packages so you need to uninstall them first.

So now when this is out of the way and you have a freshly installed Manjaro, you need to give me some info, otherwise I have no way to help you.

Show me output of:

inxi -Fxxx

2 Likes

Oh now I understood the problem, thanks.

output of inxi -Fxxx

System:    Host: PC Kernel: 5.6.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 tk: Qt 5.15.0 
           wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: GE60 0NC\0ND v: REV:1.0 serial: <root required> Chassis: type: 10 
           serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-16GA v: REV:1.0 serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: E16GAIMS.514 
           date: 03/12/2013 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-3630QM bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 38334 
           Speed: 2176 MHz min/max: 1200/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2027 2: 2395 3: 2395 4: 1741 5: 2380 6: 2188 7: 2396 
           8: 2036 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           chip ID: 8086:0166 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GTX 660M] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:0fd4 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa 
           compositor: kwin_x11 tty: N/A 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.0.7 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:1e20 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.6.16-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: alx v: kernel port: c000 
           bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 1969:e091 
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: 8c:89:a5:0b:0b:21 
           Device-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: c000 bus ID: 05:00.0 chip ID: 8086:0892 
           IF: wlp5s0 state: up mac: 0c:d2:92:2e:c0:39 
           IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: 02:42:87:97:ca:f6 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 817.88 GiB used: 9.88 GiB (1.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD7500BPKT-22PK4T0 size: 698.64 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s 
           rotation: 7200 rpm serial: WD-WXB1E92WMF27 rev: 1A01 scheme: GPT 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: SanDisk model: SD5SF2128G size: 119.24 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: 131340400206 rev: 4.00 
           scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 58.81 GiB used: 9.79 GiB (16.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 46 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 237 Uptime: 4m Memory: 7.67 GiB used: 1001.4 MiB (12.8%) Init: systemd v: 245 Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 
           Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.37 

OK, on Windows the latest driver line for this GPU is 425.31 so you have choices to use configuration:

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee

Obviously, the newer driver is better, so take 418 configuration.

If you don't have it, install it through mhwd. Don't touch other packages. If MHWD shows error, read what it says, it will probably require uninstalling previous setup, before you install a new one.

Reboot and if graphical session will work, do a backup with timeshift and install optimus-manager using my guide:

Read carefully, be sure you changed the SDDM config and disabled bumblebee and other graphical related configs.

1 Like

I installed it via "Hardware Configuration" (gui of mhwd I guess)

The output is:

Waiting for user input...
Starting
> Installing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
:: Synchronizing package databases...
warning: xf86-video-intel-1:2.99.917+908+g7181c5a4-1 is up to date -- skipping
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: primus will be installed before its bumblebee dependency

Packages (9) egl-wayland-1.1.5-1  eglexternalplatform-1.1-2  primus-20151110-8  bumblebee-3.2.1-22  lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils-418.113-1  lib32-primus-20151110-4  linux56-bbswitch-0.8-20  linux56-nvidia-418xx-418.113-20  nvidia-418xx-utils-418.113-2

Total Download Size:    90.83 MiB
Total Installed Size:  307.60 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
downloading eglexternalplatform-1.1-2-any.pkg.tar.zst...
downloading egl-wayland-1.1.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
downloading nvidia-418xx-utils-418.113-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
downloading linux56-nvidia-418xx-418.113-20-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
downloading linux56-bbswitch-0.8-20-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst...
downloading primus-20151110-8-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz...
downloading bumblebee-3.2.1-22-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz...
downloading lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils-418.113-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz...
downloading lib32-primus-20151110-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz...
checking keyring...
checking package integrity...
loading package files...
checking for file conflicts...
checking available disk space...
installing primus...
installing eglexternalplatform...
installing egl-wayland...
installing nvidia-418xx-utils...
==> If you run into trouble with CUDA not being available, run nvidia-modprobe first.
Optional dependencies for nvidia-418xx-utils
    gtk2: nvidia-settings
    xorg-server-devel: nvidia-xconfig
    opencl-nvidia: OpenCL support
installing bumblebee...
Don't forget to add yourself to the 'bumblebee' group to use Bumblebee
Optional dependencies for bumblebee
    xf86-video-nouveau: nouveau driver [installed]
    nouveau-dri: 3D acceleration features fo nouveau
    bbswitch: switch on/off discrete card [pending]
    nvidia: NVIDIA kernel driver [pending]
    virtualgl: alternative back-end for optirun
    lib32-virtualgl: run 32bit applications with optirun
    lib32-primus: faster back-end for optirun [pending]
installing lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils...
Optional dependencies for lib32-nvidia-418xx-utils
    lib32-opencl-nvidia-418xx
installing lib32-primus...
installing linux56-nvidia-418xx...
In order to use nvidia module, reboot the system.
installing linux56-bbswitch...
(1/8) Creating system user accounts...
(2/8) Reloading system manager configuration...
(3/8) Reloading device manager configuration...
(4/8) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(5/8) Updating module dependencies...
(6/8) Updating Kernel initcpios for Nvidia-DRM...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux56.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.6-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.6-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.6.16-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Runni
ng build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.6-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux56.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.6-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.6-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.6.16-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.6-x86_64-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful
(7/8) Fixing hardcoded icons...
G: Fixing Nvidia Settings...
(8/8) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf'
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bumblebeed.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service.
> Successfully installed video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee

Done ...

So there are 2 drivers installed;

[user@PC ~]$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI

And added myself to bumblebee group:

[user@PC ~]$ sudo gpasswd -a $USER bumblebee
Adding user user to group bumblebee

Now I will reboot (will edit this message)
edit: Yep, it didn't stuck, I could reboot.
Now I opened Timeshift first time, which one is better?
RSYNC vs BTRFS

edit2: google say, Rsync is more flexible, so I choosed it.
edit3: taken a snapshot

edit4: installed optimus-manager

[user@PC ~]$ sudo pacman -S optimus-manager

Packages (1) optimus-manager-1.3-1

Total Download Size:   0,06 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0,24 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
 optimus-manager-1.3-1-any                                                                                          60,7 KiB   345 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                 [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                               [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                    [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                              [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                                            [#######################################################################################] 100%
optimus-manager : removing obsolete auto-generated files left over by previous versions
(1/1) installing optimus-manager                                                                                                               [#######################################################################################] 100%
optimus-manager : enabling optimus-manager.service
Please reboot your computer before using optimus-manager
Optional dependencies for optimus-manager
    bbswitch: alternative power switching method [installed]
    acpi_call: alternative power switching method
    xf86-video-intel: provides the Xorg intel driver [installed]
(1/2) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

And installed optimus-manager-qt via pamac

edit5: tried to disable bumblebeed.service but when I check, it still runs

[user@PC ~]$ sudo systemctl status bumblebeed.service
● bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-06-21 23:18:12 +03; 16min ago
   Main PID: 773 (bumblebeed)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 9400)
     Memory: 1.9M
     CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
             └─773 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog

Haz 21 23:18:12 PC systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Haz 21 23:18:12 PC bumblebeed[773]: /usr/bin/bumblebeed 3.2.1-2017-02-27-Format:%h$ started

[user@PC ~]$ sudo systemctl disable bumblebeed.service
Removed /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bumblebeed.service.

[user@PC ~]$ sudo systemctl status bumblebeed.service
● bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-06-21 23:18:12 +03; 16min ago
   Main PID: 773 (bumblebeed)
     Memory: 1.9M
     CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
             └─773 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog

Haz 21 23:18:12 PC systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Haz 21 23:18:12 PC bumblebeed[773]: /usr/bin/bumblebeed 3.2.1-2017-02-27-Format:%h$ started

Still, left it finally with sudo systemctl disable bumblebeed.service.
Maybe I should stop etc?

edit6: step of config files

[user@PC ~]$ cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
[user@PC xorg.conf.d]$ ls
00-keyboard.conf  30-touchpad.conf  90-mhwd.conf
[user@PC xorg.conf.d]$ sudo mv 90-mhwd.conf 90-mhwd.conf.bak

I skip step 4 because I don't have any configs in there, just folders

[user@PC xorg.conf.d]$ cd /etc/X11/
[user@PC X11]$ ls
mhwd.d  xinit  xorg.conf.d

edit7: I did the sddm.conf step
But stuck at autostart step, I pressed "Add Program" but optimus-manager-qt isn't in the list. "Optimus Manager" is exists but I'm not sure that it is same with qt one

edit8: took second snapshot (bc couldn't did the autostart) and reboot.
Now it booted, there is no tray icon of course. But we can do it later I guess.

manager service is running:

[user@PC ~]$ systemctl status optimus-manager.service
● optimus-manager.service - Optimus Manager Commands Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/optimus-manager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-06-21 23:54:13 +03; 1min 57s ago
    Process: 810 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/python3 -u -m optimus_manager.hooks.pre_daemon_start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 863 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/python3 -u -m optimus_manager.hooks.pre_xorg_start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 911 (python3)
     Memory: 31.3M
     CGroup: /system.slice/optimus-manager.service
             └─911 /usr/bin/python3 -u -m optimus_manager.daemon

Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[863]: [399] INFO: Unloading modules ['nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm', 'nvidia'] (if loaded)
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[863]: [430] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[863]: [431] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[863]: [431] INFO: Writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[863]: [432] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_post_xorg_start', 'switch_id': '20200621T235412', 'requested_mode': 'intel'}
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[863]: [432] INFO: Xorg pre-start hook completed successfully.
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC systemd[1]: Started Optimus Manager Commands Daemon.
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[911]: [2] INFO: # Commands daemon
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[911]: [3] INFO: Opening UNIX socket
Haz 21 23:54:13 PC python3[911]: [3] INFO: Awaiting commands

I clicked Optimus Manager, lol it is the qt one (facepalm again) Okay i will add this to autostart.

Clicked right and select nvidia, it rebooted.

I think it is okay,

[user@PC ~]$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
17348 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3469.549 FPS
17555 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3510.829 FPS
17648 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3529.471 FPS
X connection to :0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
[user@PC ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GTX 660M] driver: nvidia v: 418.113 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.113 

No, it's OK. Disable means disable at boot. If you want to stop it now, use stop in command. But you will need to reboot anyway, so it doesn't hurt that bumblebee is running now. It won't be after reboot.

1 Like

I think it is okay

[user@PC ~]$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
17348 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3469.549 FPS
17555 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3510.829 FPS
17648 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3529.471 FPS
X connection to :0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
[user@PC ~]$ inxi -G
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.113 

I will try it in DST, I will edit this post in 30 mins.

Thanks so much sir <3

edit1: After switching to intel, I realised that fan is still going crazy even inxi says:

[user@PC ~]$ inxi -G
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.0.7 

It is like, Nvidia still runs :confused:
And the turbo led -which runs only when Nvidia GPU using- is still on. Interesting.
After waited 5 mins, CPU temperature is not bad(59C), but fan is still odd (not crazy, but odd)

Before switching to nvidia, temp:

[user@PC ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +57.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +57.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +48.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +53.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +52.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
temp3:        +59.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

After switching to nvidia, t0 moment temp:

[user@PC ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +61.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +60.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +54.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +56.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +53.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
temp3:        +62.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

After wait 3 mins on idle, temp:
[user@PC ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0: +56.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +55.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +49.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +53.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3: +54.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +106.0°C)
temp2: +29.8°C (crit = +106.0°C)
temp3: +57.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

Game Test (DST);
After 4 mins of playing, temp:

[user@PC ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +73.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +71.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +65.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +68.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +69.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
temp3:        +75.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

FPS: 59.7
FPS is very good, you fixed it.
But even FPS is good, there was so much screen tearing and other thing like vibration of sprites when chracter moves.
But at least, I can use nvidia GPU's power much now, it was 47-49, now fixed to 60. Thanks so much sir.

Is it possible to fix this tearings?

Did I understand it right, that when you start in Intel, all is fine, then you switch to Nvidia, all is fine, but when you go back to Intel, Nvidia is still on?

This is odd and shouldn't be happening. So you have few options:

• when you're in Nvidia mode, don't switch back to Intel, rather reboot
  • somehow figure out what is wrong and fix it
  • uninstall optimus-manager and try optimus-switch, however, optimus-switch requires reboot to switch GPUs so this won't be any improvement over optimus-manager, because then switching to Nvidia will need reboot as well.

Or maybe this whole Intel session is malfunctioning and Nvidia is on right after the boot?

1 Like

When I reboot after install optimus-manager-qt,
it started in intel gpu, but turbo led was on. In default (in bumblebee) it was off, and fan was silent.

But now, even if I switch to intel, turbo led is still on, and fan is more strong.

But in the paper, everything is like right (outputs of inxi -G)
Switching is working.

in nvidia mode (wow..):

[user@PC ~]$ glxspheres64 
Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
GLX FB config ID of window: 0x10d (8/8/8/0)
Visual ID of window: 0x27
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2
1210.805872 frames/sec - 1351.259353 Mpixels/sec
1238.116253 frames/sec - 1381.737738 Mpixels/sec
1227.930323 frames/sec - 1370.370240 Mpixels/sec
1227.389531 frames/sec - 1369.766717 Mpixels/sec
1226.463741 frames/sec - 1368.733535 Mpixels/sec

in intel mode:

[user@PC ~]$ glxspheres64 
Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
GLX FB config ID of window: 0xb3 (8/8/8/0)
Visual ID of window: 0x11c
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
60.637603 frames/sec - 67.671565 Mpixels/sec
59.939607 frames/sec - 66.892602 Mpixels/sec
59.945747 frames/sec - 66.899454 Mpixels/sec
59.989881 frames/sec - 66.948707 Mpixels/sec
59.931000 frames/sec - 66.882996 Mpixels/sec

Temperatures are fine.
Even in idle 3mins of Nvidia, temp is 56.
In Pop!_Os, it was like 63.

But again, in the paper, everything is good.
FPS and temperatures are good.

Thank you so much sir.

The only things that I will try to fix are: fan speed and screen tearing in Nvidia

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by