NVIDIA Drivers Proprietary not working correctly (GTX 970)

Hi I am completely new to Linux and Manjaro, I decided to try it, and I have fall in love with the system how customizable it is, and how snappy it feels. After configuring and installing the programs that I want to be using, I want it to try to install the NVIDIA drivers, (I might install Steam in the future).

I have tried installing the drivers through the "Hardware configuration" in system settings and selecting "Auto install Proprietary Driver" this installs the nvidia 440xx drivers.

the problem I have is that when I restart the system, the graphical interface starts to bug out, the simple menu does not open some applications are laggy, and all the interface is just buggy.

I was wondering if I installed the drivers incorrectly (*Maybe there is a better way to install them), or the kernel version is not compatible, I heard that Linux works fine with games and graphic drivers nowadays. I am really excited to try this system and I am loving it so far. hopefully someone will be able to help me. I want to thank anyone in advance. I will leave my current system specs bellow:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.7.0-3-MANJARO
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 8x 4.4GHz
GPU: NV124 ( Driver currently installed - nouveau)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (My actual graphic card)

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:!
According to the information you gave us, something seems to have gone wrong with the driver installation. "nouveau" is actually the free-and-open-source, reverse engineered driver.
My first suggestion would be to clean install the nvidia driver via the command line.
In your case, you can use the following command:

sudo pacman -Syyu linux57-headers mhwd-nvidia-440xx linux57-nvidia-440xx nvidia-440xx-utils opencl-nvidia-440xx libvdpau lib32-libvdpau vdpauinfo vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils vulkan-tools

Once this completes, reboot your system. Check if it helped and report back.
Furthermore, providing the output of the following command would help us troubleshoot your system:

inxi -Fxzc0
2 Likes

On Manjaro using the mhwd either command or UI is the way to do it.

Nvidia drivers and kernel modules are offered by Manjaro precompiled, always compatible with that specific kernel, that is why the install goes trough mhwd.

The mhwd scripts are installed by default and in most cases the linux headers are not required (not for nvidia drivers unles using nvidia-xyz-dkms from AUR), so running
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-440xx
should simply do the job.

Yes, the headers aren't required but I would highly recommend to install them as they are essential for a lot of things including AUR usage.

MHWD is usuallly the way to install the nvidia drivers on Manjaro.
Hovever, at this point in time MHWD's linux-latest-nvidia-440xx package still points to the Kernel Modules compiled for linux 5.6.X instead of 5.7.X. This means if a user using Linux 5.7.X runs mhwd, the following things could happen:
(1) The driver will be installed for linux 5.6 which isn't being used.
(2) The linux 5.7 kernel has no graphics driver to work with AT ALL since the nvidia package also blacklists nouveau, leading to a broken / unbootable system.
Therefore I cannot reccomend using MHWD for systems running Kernel 5.7.X at the moment. However, this will likely be fixed in the near future.

If that's the case, we should ping @philm - but i'm on kernel 5.7.0-3 with video-nvidia-440xx and have no issues.

1 Like

It only happens in very specific cases, e.g. if you had kernel 5.6 + nvidia installed and then upgrade to 5.7 it should work without issues, the problem may only happen if you freshly install the nvidia driver on a system with 5.7.X, and even then it may sometimes work and sometimes it won't. I'll try to contact @philm about the issue.

1 Like

Hi Again, Thank you for your help on the last post,
I followed the command you mentioned and that installed the drivers, but after a few days trying the system (almost a month) I still noticed some glitches on the system interface, for instance one of them being while watching a video on YouTube or even while scrolling down on a page horizontal graphical tearing occurs, this also translates to other domains in the interface.
Another problem I noticed was that the Nvidia X server settings do not open at all.
From what I notice it appears that there is still some compatibility issues.
As you mentioned on that first post I will post the full specifications from the command you mentioned, thank you again for your help

Host: dantek-desktop Kernel: 5.7.0-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: MAXIMUS VII HERO v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3201 
           date: 01/24/2017 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 63989 
           Speed: 1299 MHz min/max: 800/4400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1300 2: 1299 3: 1299 4: 1300 5: 1301 6: 1301 7: 1301 
           8: 1302 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV124 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.0.7 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Device-3: SteelSeries ApS General Purpose USB Hub type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
           bus ID: 2-3.3:6 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.0-3-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-V vendor: ASUSTeK driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 597.28 GiB (51.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 78.24 GiB used: 32.26 GiB (41.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb5 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nouveau temp: 32 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 598 
Info:      Processes: 227 Uptime: 7h 42m Memory: 31.31 GiB used: 1.16 GiB (3.7%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 
           clang: 10.0.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.37 

No, they did not installed properly. Here is why:

Nouveau are the free drivers that make that GPU to underperform. If you want to install the proprietary drivers, first run:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-linux
then

If somehow you feel the KDE Plasma to not behave as you expect after installing the proprietary drivers, then follow this too:

1 Like

sudo mhwd -r -pci video-linux

When I try running this it says

invalid use of option: -r/--remove

1 Like

My apologize. I was typing an extra - where i should have not.
Corrected now

1 Like

It seems to have work, the output says is using nvdia drivers as well as the nvdia settings are working now, Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help

System:    Host: dantek-desktop Kernel: 5.7.0-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: MAXIMUS VII HERO v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3201 
           date: 01/24/2017 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 63987 
           Speed: 2399 MHz min/max: 800/4400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2399 2: 2400 3: 2399 4: 2399 5: 2401 6: 2400 7: 2402 
           8: 2404 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 440.82 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.82 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Device-3: SteelSeries ApS General Purpose USB Hub type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
           bus ID: 2-3.3:6 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.0-3-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-V vendor: ASUSTeK driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 597.25 GiB (51.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 78.24 GiB used: 32.23 GiB (41.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb5 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 39 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 0% 
Info:      Processes: 269 Uptime: 1m Memory: 31.31 GiB used: 1.42 GiB (4.5%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 
           clang: 10.0.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.37 

1 Like

Hi Again I believe this will be the last time I will be asking something o this thread, but as you mentioned I went through the instructions yo gave me, to solve the interface issues with KDE Plasma, after I installed the drivers the graphical tearing got away but some areas of the interface were a bit slow so then I did what you mentioned on the mhwd.d driver configuration, this fixed the animations of the interface, but there is one noticeable problem, which is not that bad but I have noticed today (I think I am being picky)

The problem is most noticeable when I am watching a video on YouTube or any other platform but it happens in any other occasions, while watching any video on YouTube and I open any other program (like dolphin) the interface freezes for a second and then the program opens. This tend to happened before with a longer duration of the glitch, but after changing the configuration on mhwd.d the time that it freezes has considerably been reduce, it is not that noticeable, but I was wondering if you knew how to fully fix it.

I have a theme installed using Kvantum which adds transparency to some areas of the interface, I was wondering if that was affecting the interface in that way

Thank you for the help in advance

Hello,

No worries, and you can ask any question as long this topic is opened. Either i will reply or somebody else will come by with some ideas.
Regarding what you describe, i can confirm it too on one of my install (same hardware) where i test more things and then i revert back to default. My working main install has a few more tweaks, and to me makes a bit of a difference, but it should not be necessary to use them as will render a wayland session unusable.
My /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh has this entries:

export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
export __GL_YIELD=USLEEP
export __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1

Another tweak i think is useful in my case, is this scheduler rule

Except the NVME entry.

That installation is almost perfect for me, no hiccups, so now i try to see if i can get the same with different approach. For now this is all i have. Kvantum themes should not influence any of the performance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by