Nvidia GPU display lag and overheating

Whenever I run some steam game (well, only tested on terraria) using prime-run (so it uses the nvidia GPU), the game looks like it's being really laggy, but according to steam's fps counter it's running 60fps.

The lag also happens on other programs, such as GLFW's OpenGL tearing detector test program (just a white bar moving across the screen)

Also, even on the very simple tearing detector test program, the gpu very quickly gets pretty hot, a lot hotter than if I use the intel iGPU, which I have no issues using.

Relevant section of output of inxi -Fxxxz:

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:8a56 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX230] driver: nvidia v: 440.82 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:1d11 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: nouveau 
           alternate: fbdev,intel,nv,vesa compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (ICL GT1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.6 direct render: Yes

Here's a screenshot of my mhwd configuration:
Screenshot_20200527_154045

Would it be a good idea to download and install a driver from nvidia's website? Would that work any better?

Probably not - from your screenshot it appears you are nvidia driver.

Okay. I've tried some of the other drivers available, but they all either resulted in nothing except my cursor being displayed or I just couldn't boot.

I am assuming this is a driver problem.

Remove video-linux.

Thanks for the reply, but that didn't seem to help, unfortunately. Still get the exact same

The overheating part might be due to some dust on the cooling system - intake, pipes, fan. I think is worth investigating that part too. My proposal to remove the video-linux vas more ... cosmetic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It's a new computer, so I really hope it's not that! I may as well take a look though.
I haven't noticed any differences from before and after removing video-linux actually, but maybe it's just that I haven't noticed it

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by