Nvidia "Prime Profiles" Not Show

Hi,

I installed Nvidia driver like this tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am7xeUFQ8uY

But, "Prime Profiles" is not showing Nvidia Setting.

When I run nvidia-smi on terminal, this codes outputs. But I don't switch Intel and Nvidia Graphic Cards.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 418.43       Driver Version: 418.43       CUDA Version: 10.1     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 105...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   49C    P0    N/A /  N/A |    276MiB /  4040MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0       678      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                                 28MiB |
|    0       835      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                          24MiB |
|    0      1038      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                                 87MiB |
|    0      1101      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         132MiB |
|    0      5032      G   /usr/bin/nvidia-settings                       0MiB |

Please help.

Please don't make the confusion between Bumblebee - that gives the possibility to switch between iGPU and dGPU, and Prime - that uses only the dGPU.

Also, considering that i know that video, i hope you did not make the same mistake as the one who did it, to install LightDM and GDM in KDE Plasma that has SDDM by default. The level of confusion of that guy is beyond any common sense.

Are you referring to this profiles?

You didn't read the tutorial carefully :slight_smile: and now there is the confusion with the Ubuntu nvidia-prime that i think is something else...

Maybe is better to look at this

or try this one

Note: do not mix the installations and approaches as the one in the video, chose just one suited for your installed DE

1 Like

if you try optimus-manager and it doesnt work properly, pay close attention to every step you did to set it up because you'll have to undo it in reverse and also run the --cleanup before trying to uninstall it, otherwise every configuration you try after it wont work.

i remember this one too, that user spread links to that video all over the forum :man_facepalming:
i thought they all got removed, apparently not so.

@eprianu if you want switchable graphics, i would suggest optimus-switch and so you know, i am bias towards it because i made it but thats not why i suggest it.

optimus-manager uses either bbswitch or nouveau to handle disabling the nvidia gpu and requires bbswitch along with nouveau drivers to be installed along with the nvidia drivers. bbswitch is a pain in the arse and is known for being problematic, even more so on gtx 1050 according to arch wiki. and nouveau? no thanks.

optimus-switch uses an acpi call specific to your GPU to fully power down/disable the gpu in a way that doesnt cause lockups after suspend for example. also needs only video-nvidia package, no nouveau, no bbswitch. this allows you to switch between nvidia(prime) mode just like the tutorial you were trying to follow, and intel-only mode which disables/powers down the nvidia gpu. the instructions are easy to follow. for you on KDE you would use the sddm version.

if you did follow that video, undo everything you did, get rid of GDM,LightDM

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by