Nvidia Prime vs Optimus-manager

Thanks. I red it twice and didn't see it somehow... ;p
So basically it looks like we should switch to Prime first, make sure if it's working and then install optimus-manager.

I kinda hoped that it would magically set all things correctly with mhwd since it's in Manjaro repos but I suspected that it won't be the case, so I had to be sure. So installing on bumblebee would rather cause conflicts and make system unbootable.

I wish that mhwd introduced support for this package or even integrated it so it would be capable of switching between bumblebee and prime with switcher automatically.

EDIT: @philm, can you consider integrating mhwd with optimus-manager so we could finally choose between bumblebee and switchable prime in an automated way? Too many people are messing with gpu drivers and wasting their systems and ubuntu-land newcomers expect to have something like that, which isn't a bad idea considering that Steam Play needs vulkan while bumblebee doesn't support it.

2 Likes

no, you can be on your loaded bumblebee setup at the same time as uninstalling bumblebee and installing video-linux and video-nvidia and then following the optimus-manager tutorial(pay close attention to removing the gpu related files/modules in the directories or cp them. just dont reboot until your sure you followed all the steps or you'll end up with issues.

it didn't work for me. I ended up getting a blank screen at reboot so I decided to go with the prime option which works for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by