Nvidia x server settings

Hello everyone, I finally am able to use my nvidia card with linux. I know on windows that the nvidia driver knows when to switch back and forth. From what I have read that should also be the same with the 435.21 driver.

I also know that you sometimes have to tell the driver to switch when playing certian games because they are not known to to the driver. How exactly do I know that the nvidia card is being utilized and not the igpu. How do I set up the xserver settings to use the driver when a game is started.

Also my hardware set up only works with automatic prime offloading. There is no option to switch between the iGPU and the dGPU. I do not have the optimus manager or any other prime software installed as my system will not work if I do. I simply have the amd and nvidia driver installed with an xorg config that tells it how to run. Which I really like because that whole prime setup seams like a giant pain in the ass and I am glad I dont have to use it.

I honestly don't know if you are asking for help, or simply making a statement of the actual facts based on this

implying that would be ideal to tweak that ... or?

The command from terminal:
glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
usually shows what GPU is in use.

While I have a bootable desktop with the configuration I figure out. My system still wont use the nvidia card. I am wonder how do I setup a profile so when I start a game it switches to the nvidia card. If install prime I get a black screen. How do I get this driver to properly switch based on what I am doing.

You need to prepend the executable with these environment variable(s) if you want to run an application using Nvidia GPU.

For vulkan application or game:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1

Example:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 vkcube

vkcube is part of vulkan-tools, so install it first if you want to test it.

For OpenGL/GLX application or game:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia

Example

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo | grep vendor

Personally, I would like to alias or wrap these environment variables in a shell script so I can run any application on Nvidia GPU without having to type that long, hard to remember, environment variables.

If you want to check if an application/game is running with Nvidia GPU, you can use nvidia-smi.

You can read everything about PRIME render offload here

i got the same issue with my laptop, what worked for me was uninstall all nvidia proprietary drivers, reboot then install the latest nvidia driver 435.21 using mhwd and before reboot again install optimus manager.

see this link: https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/blob/master/README.md

after that i rebooted and can switch the vga with de icon tray

Thank you for your replies, I am officially throwing my towel in with this laptop and linux. It has this wild hybrid system that doesnt have the ability to be controlled manually. It strictly relies on the nvidia driver, and the 435.21 driver is close for it to be able to work. The rest of the pieces havent falled into place yet, the manjaro has patched thier xorg server to work. The xorg 1.21 update is suppose to have the full support for the prime automatic offloading. From what I have read it unsure of when that release is coming. Either that comes or I just build a System76 laptop and install manjaro on it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by