Observations on the 18.0 KDE beta

A couple of observations on the current (v5) beta of 18.0 KDE.

KGet is the default torrent file handler, but cannot actually download torrents as libktorrent is not installed. Is there a need for both KGet and qBittorent in the default install?

manjaro-printer would be very welcome as a default installed package (as it is in other Manjaro editions.

Other than that, everything was very smooth in VirtualBox, and I'm looking forward to the final release :slight_smile:

2 Likes

KGet is download manager, I believe it handles all sorts of downloads not just torrents. I think qbittorrent should be managing the torrents by default and KGet any other download types. Unless I have missed something?

Yes, KGet handles lots of download types (including torrents once libktorrent is installed).

Maybe there is a case for that, but currently the default after install is for KGet to handle torrent files (even though it needs an additional package to do so). There is also a case for considering whether both KGet and qBittorrent are needed in the default KDE install. Why have two torrent downloaders when there is only one web browser (Firefox) etc etc?

I'm not sure why KGet is needed? Qbitttorrent is one of the best if not the best torrent client ever IMO and torrents are still important. However, I can't figure out the need for download manager these days. I haven't been using one since 16 or more years. KGet is not an essential package.

manjaro-printer is a meta-package so it isn't needed if needed packages are already there. It is possible that one of the manjaro-printer files is replaced by one specific to KDE so the meta packages is marked as not installed.

I just installed beta-5, and I noticed that Octopi did not have its usual AUR tab between General and Backend under Tools > Options.

I had to install an AUR Helper (in my case, Trizen) before the AUR tab would even display. Was it always that way? In my case, that was a minor problem as I could only recall the other AUR helper that Octopi can use (yaourt) and when I learned that yaourt might be abandoned, I tried Trizen instead and preferred it, but could not recall its name, and resorted to booting a different computer and looking in the Octopi AUR tab.

No, it wasn't always that way, but a few months ago that yaourt is no longer shipped by default and you need to install an AUR helper in order to have AUR support in Octopi.

So rest assured it wasn't a problem in your install or nothing alike. It's been discussed many times in the forum and the staff thinks it is better that way. After all, the AUR is not official, neither for Arch, nor for Manjaro.

I understand that one needs to install an AUR helper before Octopi can actually install from the AUR. I understand keeping the checkboxes 'off', even after the AUR helper is installed, until a user actually clicks the checkboxes. What surprised me was the tab was not even present so the user does not even know which two AUR helpers are supported by Octopi.

Three. Pacaur is also supported yet I believe.

But yeah, I feel what you are saying. The thing is that if the user wants to use the AUR, he should know what's up: It's not official, user mantained, not completly secure, may break, used under his responsability... blablabla

So, if he knows what's up, he should know about the helpers and all the stuff. Or should've read/asked about it in the forums or whateva.

I've always thought that a section in manjaro-hello explaining the situation a little bit could be a good compromise between the complete "darkness" we have now, and setting the thing too easy. But that's just me.

I feel that Manjaro should come with AUR helper by default. On one side Arch and Manjaro cannot support AUR but without AUR Arch and Manjaro wouldn't be in the position they are today. AUR is a must and since Manjaro aims for less tech savvy users, having AUR helper would help. My bet would be on trizen on Manjaro KDE since it support Octopi and trizen can be strongly tweaked (default behavior is not ideal).

As to AUR tab not present there, it's hard to say if it was always there. Before Manjaro had yaourt pre-installed so the tab was always present. I agree that this provides an issue to a overal system friendliness.

AUR may not be supported but it's essential to have an easy switch on for it. With that tab gone this is a big roadblock and lot of work for us to explain it over and over to newcomers!
@philm, can Manjaro KDE have trizen pre-installed? What would be the con? If we had yaourt for so long and it worked fine, I see no issues to replace it with different one. I can already anticipate the frustration for new users when they won't see and won't find any AUR access. This is against Manjaro friendliness IMO.

We've had this debate many times already. This is beating a dead horse and offtopic to this thread.

If you want and AUR helper, you have a couple of them in the repos. Nobody is stopping you.

But one thing is to try and be "user friendly" and other to bloat the install with things that not all users need. Not all users need the AUR. More than that, you can use the AUR without a helper. Even one could make the argument that the proper way to use the AUR is precisely without a helper.

So I disagree in that regard, I don't think Manjaro should come with a helper by default, even though I use them myself. Because in that case, many users would dare to use the AUR without even informing themselves about what they are really doing, thinking it is just another repo.

And then a debacle like the recent with the glibc update occurs and the ■■■■■■■■■ breaks. Or worse, that recent infected package that tried to spy on users. You have to take a compromise between user-friendliness and user-riskiness.

I still think that a visible link to the proper wiki article in the manjaro-hello should be more than enough:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

If the Manjaro-Hello had this well pointed out, then this would be enough. But so far all Manjaro welcome screens are ■■■■■■■ Almost every other distro got it better and some did an awesome work. Manjaro welcome screen looks really, really bad in comparison.

I split the AUR helper discussion to a new thread.

28 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lack of AUR helper by default

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lack of AUR helper by default

Found time to try beta 6 today. Both KGet and qBittorent are still installed by default.

I also tried to install my Canon MG5750 printer before installing manjaro-printer (which also installs gutenprint as a dependency). No joy as it could not find a ppd file for that printer. Installing manjaro-printer and gutenprint (with its multitude of ppd files) resolves this.

So, given that it is a Manjaro tool and is installed by default in many (if not all?) of the other Manjaro editions, I would suggest that including manjaro-printer in the default KDE installation would benefit many users.

:printer:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by