OpenVPN connects, but no internet

Hi,

I just moved into a new room and am experiencing issues with OpenVPN. Previously, I could use the command sudo openvpn <path to config file> to initialise a VPN connection. Now, while the VPN does connect (Initialization Sequence Completed), I can't connect to the internet, with pages loading indefinitely in Firefox.

How would I go about resolving this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Does it work without VPN?

If yes then verify your VPN dns settings.

Yes, I have a working internet connection when not connected to my VPN.

How would I go about verifying my VPN DNS settings?

well - you could install the package bind-tools and when connected through vpn try do a dns-lookup on a known name. You can choose what you like - but wikipedia.org, gitlab.com, google.com, mail.google.com are good candidates.

dig wikipedia.org

If it return an ip address your dns is working.

If it does not - your must check with your VPN provider.

Yes, check your DNS settings.
Especially check /etc/resolv.conf (don't necessarily post it here), with and without VPN started.

Also, it might be a better idea to start vpn either via NetworkManager, or if you don't use NM, systemctl start openvpn-client@name_of_vpn.service.

dig wikipedia.org results in a time-out

/etc/resolv.conf is the same, regardless of whether the VPN is active.

NM quits on me when I try to add an OpenVPN connection/try to import the configuration file. systemctl spits an error with reading the config file (I converted the .ovpn file to a .conf file by changing its name)

resolv.conf doesn't change "automatically".
Read this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#DNS

Which error?

Shouldn't happen. Which version?
If you don't use NM, what else do you use for your networking?

[SOLVED]

I have found a workaround. I installed the official AUR client of my VPN provider (AirVPN). It works.

I use AirVPN too, but don't need any client.
Their generated configs work just fine both in NM and in OpenVPN.

Anyway, if it works, it's good.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by