Optimus-Switch Indicator Extension for Gnome

@linesma: This is awesome! Is this stable and working?

Yes it is stable and working. I am using it every day.

1 Like

Great. I will give it a try.

I went to install Argos, but for some reason the Gnome-Firefox extension isn't working for me. I'll have to figure that out first.

@shockwave Sorry it took me so long to reply. I missed the notification that you had posted. Were you able to figure out your problem with the Firefox Extension? If not, you can always install the Firefox extension directly from Firefox's Addon site:

Make sure that you log into the Gnome Extensions website as well. If that still does not work, you can also install the Argos extension manually. They have directions on how to do it on their GitHub page.

I have had the problem with the Firefox extension as well. Sometimes restarting my computer worked, others I had to just install the extension I wanted for Gnome manually. They then updated when through the "Tweaks" program.

1 Like

I wasn't able to make it work yet. I'll take a look at the links you sent. and see if I can get it working and report back.

I was finally able to get the gnome extension to work by allowing in private window, and got argos installed.

However, I am stuck on this step:

cp -v icons/* ~/.local/share/icons/

I get the following error

cp: failed to access '/home/workstation0/.local/share/icons/': Not a directory

If I do sudo nano ~/.local/share/icons the file is there and contains

! [ -d "~/.local/share/icons" ] && mkdir --parents ~/.local/share/icons || trueg

Is there something I am missing/doing wrong?

Oh, I think I see the issue, This line of code is to create the directory not what to put in it. I removed what I created and started over a again.

! [ -d "~/.local/share/icons" ] && mkdir --parents ~/.local/share/icons || trueg

I then went through the steps as posted, but I have no new icon showing my intel/nvidia status? Any idea? I tried a reboot as well just in case but still nothing.

I just noticed I didn't install pkroot. Is that my problem?

Do you have the Argos extension enabled in the "Gnome Tweak Tool" program? If you do not install pkroot, you will not be able to change the graphics settings. The Optimus-Switch scripts require root access to run. Pkroot allows you to run bash scripts as root from shortcuts.

1 Like

Argos is enabled. I didn't install pkroot as I didn't initially see it.
Do you recommend the full install?

$ git clone https://github.com/cyberalex4life/pkroot.git
$ cd pkroot
$ chmod a+x runwithpkexec pkroot
$ sudo cp org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.runwithpkexec.policy /usr/share/polkit-1/actions

## If "/usr/local/bin" does not exist, create it ##
$ ! [ -d "/usr/local/bin" ] && sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin || echo 'Folder exists'

$ sudo cp -t /usr/local/bin runwithpkexec pkroot

Also, will I need to run these commands again after installing pkroot?

sudo cp pkroot /usr/local/bin
sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/pkroot

@shockwave Thank you for catching that! I missed adding the pkroot stuff to my repository. :man_facepalming: Dang Gummit. I have updated my repository adding the needed files. I would do this instead.

git clone https://github.com/linesma/Optimus-Switch-Indicator-Argos-Manjaro.git
cd Optimus-Switch-Indicator-Argos-Manjaro
# copy polkit policy in place
sudo cp org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.prime-select.policy /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/
# copy pkroot to '/usr/local/bin' and make sure it is executable
sudo cp pkroot /usr/local/bin
sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/pkroot

Sorry about that, and thank you again for catching that.

As for your Argos issue. Navigate to

~/.config/argos/

and make sure that the optimus-switcher.sh file is there. If it is, we may need a permissions change to it. Try this:

sudo chmod +777 ~/.config/argos/optimus-switcher.sh

1 Like
git clone https://github.com/linesma/Optimus-Switch-Indicator-Argos-Manjaro.git

gives me following error

atal: destination path 'Optimus-Switch-Indicator-Argos-Manjaro' already exists and is not an empty directory.

It contains the following

ls Optimus-Switch-Indicator-Argos-Manjaro
icons                                                 pkroot
LICENSE                                               README.md
optimus-switcher.sh                                   screenshots
org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.prime-select.policy

Should I skip that step?

Also,

~/.config/argos/
Contains optimus-switcher.sh

Yes then go to the second step.

Did you run the following command in the terminal as I suggest in my last post?

This changes the permissions of the file, it maybe needed for Argos to read the file.

1 Like

Yes, I ran that command. I skipped the first as you mentioned and completed the others. The icons showed up along with the temp. Ill give it a restart and see if it works

Let me know.

1 Like

It works! I booted back up to Intel and it seems to be working fine. Thank you very much for making this. Along with @dglt's awesome switch this makes it totally usable. Also, thank you for helping me get it going.

2 Likes

You are welcome. I am glad that we finally got it to work.

I also want to thank you for your help. I did not need to change the permissions of the optimus-switcher.sh file on my system. I have added that step to the Readme in my repository. I have also edited the readme to make it easier to read.

1 Like

I'm glad I was able to help you make it a bit better. When I first tried to install Manjaro on this laptop, it was almost unusable because of the Graphics card. Now it is fully functioning thanks to the hard work from you and @dglt. Really appreciate it.

3 Likes

I will no longer be keeping this project up to date. I have done a more "universal" GUI that works on multiple DE's. You can find this new project at the link below.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by