Oracle VM Virtual Box and USB [Solved]

I am running Manjaro Linux latest version with Windows 10 installed on a VM. The main reason for this is so I can run Powerpoint - I know LibreOffice Impress is very similar but it cannot do exactly what I want. There is a problem with very accurate scaling when printing slides.

W10 runs fine in Virtual Box except that it does not recognise USB devices. The USB options in the Devices menu in VB are greyed out.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to get this fixed. Thanks!

You need the VirtualBox Extension Pack for USB to work.

2 Likes

You can get this from AUR, package is virtualbox-ext-oracle, just make sure it is the right version before you install / update.

This AUR package is updated in line with Arch updates, which will take some time to reach your Manjaro branch, just wait until it does before updating the Oracle extensions.

Thank you both very much. I am going to work soon but hopefully tonight I will sort this out.

No success with the download. My version of VB is 6.0. I am running Linux 4.14.105-1-MANJARO

I downloaded the extension for VB 6.0 and got this error:

Failed to run /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxExtPackHelperApp --stdout /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-6364uq/stdout --stderr /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-6364uq/stderr --elevated install --base-dir /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks --cert-dir /usr/share/virtualbox/ExtPackCertificates --name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' --tarball /home/howard/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.4.vbox-extpack --sha-256 8887d5dd9dd26bd376926b38857715e28f2d678b6d3a034144ddc3fde4a387d9.

I'd be grateful for advice.

Thanks. First part installed with updated kernel 4.19. Joined vboxusers group.

But when running extension pack, the process stalled here. Two problems:

I do not know what this means;
Even if I knew, I do not know how to use the highlighted commands at the bottom using a laptop keyboard.

Screenshot_2019-03-17_08-01-49

Any ideas? Maybe I missed something obvious?

I'd be grateful for advice.

Looks like you somehow opened the Nano text editor. You can quit the editor via ctrl-x.
^ represents the ctrl key.

I assume you got here when building the package so I suppose the build will continue after you quit the editor.

1 Like

Thanks, TomZ,

I am not sure why but next time I ran the the extension installer from AUR it installed without a hitch.

The USB is now recognised. But, I cannot connect with my local network (wired). I get options like NAT and NAT network which don't make much sense to me.

I'd be glad of advice on this.

Normally a NAT network works fine.

You should be able access any server in your local network by providing the IP address despite the virtual machine is running on a virtual network created by the host VirtualBox.

If you set your network adapter in the guest configuration to Bridged the virtual machine will connect to the DHCP server on your local network which - if private home user - usually is your router and ask for an IP address. This will connect your virtual machine to the same network as your host.

Thanks, fhdk, this really helped. The Bridged network routine didn't ask me for a router IP address. It provided a default - enO or something like that which I think derives from firmware within this MacBook Pro.

In Summary, with advice on these boards, this 72 year old 'newbie' has a 2011 MacBook Pro running Manjaro Linux with Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine. The VM connects to a W10 PC on the network and with One Drive, and accepts USBs.

The objectives, i.e. to run PowerPoint, recognise USBs, and make network connections have been achieved. I can even print from the VM to a network printer!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by