Package manager notification keeps appearing (after running updates)

Hi,

I am using pacman and yaourt for updates and when I run pacman -Syu or yaourt -Syu I get a notification saying:

(A) Package Manager
1 available update

However both commands report everything is up to date. Any idea where this notification is coming from? I'm not using any other package manager.

Command output:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
$ yaourt -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
No database errors have been found!

Thanks!

You should read this

Install yay or trizen or simply use the pamac cli as described here

Quote from

Yaourt: Rest in peace

Yaourt has been removed from our repositories completely. We won’t maintain the yaourt package anymore, which means that you will not receive any updates from us for this package. A very old package named yaourt-gui-manjaro has been removed at the same time too.

If you are still using Yaourt, we strongly encourage you to switch to an alternative like Pamac CLI (package: pamac-cli ), Trizen (package: trizen ), Yay (package: yay ) or Pacaur (package: pacaur ); and uninstall Yaourt from your system.

In addition to that, we have dropped support for several packages that depended on yaourt : allservers , pacli and pacli-jwm . Those packages has been removed from the official repositories completely.

1 Like

If you have Pamac (install Update Software) installed, it includes some services and timers that don't use system mirrorlist.
pacman and (RIP)yaourt use system mirrorlist.
That's why the different messages.
If you don't like it, you may

1. disable/mask those services/timers.
  2. wait for your main mirror to sync with latest updates.
  3. change your mirror to one that is already in sync with the latest.

Whatever you choose is safe, it is a matter of preference.
I prefer the 1st one for myself.

1 Like

Thank you very much this is very helpful. I was using it unaware... ouch!

I'll have to subscribe to this RSS feed. Are there any other channels with essential information like this I should be following? I feel like this is a pretty critical change for something as important as a package manager and I definitely want to be up to speed on what's going on with software updates for packages of that level of importance that I have installed.

Also, are there any best practices for removing yaourt I should follow, for example, do I have to remove packages installed by yaourt before removing it? Or do I just run

pacman -R yaourt

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by