PACLI: CLI Pacman & Yaourt Helper

https://youtu.be/37btu107u7E
Some of you guys wanted to see this... SO... HERE IT IS! ENJOY!

8 Likes

if some of you guys want a simpler version of pacli please take a look at my github repository:

this makes it exceptionally easy to understand the source code and add your own improvements to it. but it does not bring translation support or config file settings.

The WIDE Drop-Down TERMINAL version is coming up next.... RIGHT?
If it does, I will consider adding it as a feature in the next mCOLe =D

1 Like

This is a nice review! I hope we get more bug reports on the account of this.

One thing though: Why do you not use the search in the search functions, for example "Install package" option? You can just start typing and it searches the list in real time from package names and descriptions.

I am HARD HEADED... and often STUBBORN... That said, if I get used to doing things ONE WAY, it is very difficult to convince me to try a different method no matter "how much easier" you think it might be... I used to CRY when one of my clients told me that she has an EASY JOB for me... because it meant that something exceedingly difficult was going to land on my plate GRRRRRR!

Yeah, easy is a difficult word. That being said, I think this review shows that options are insufficiently documented and not discoverable enough. It should be immediately apparent that it is a search field and not just a menu, and now that can be missed. And I think this actually makes the review better in a way, since it is aimed at linux beginners.

@ivan, you are writing about a fictive user. Show me such a user who would return to aptitude (why does aptitude exist if there is apt-get, and why there is apt-get if there is dpkg?) when he sees Pacli. :wink:

@ivan, you are entitled to your opinion.

i was the first guy to join pacman/tropper when he started to work on pacli, because i like the idea.

i never liked the GUI package managers. they always felt clunky and like bloat. also, they hid a lot of pacman and AUR stuff which was going on under the surface.
i used pacman and yaourt directly for quite a while, but sometimes i was annoyed by the CLI: when i want to remove a package with a long name - or worse: multiple packages with long names - i had to type all the long names correctly. there is no auto completion for that kind of thing! when i wanted to clean my system (update mirror, remove old and orphaned packages from cache, defragment database), i needed to correctly remember 5 commands which i do not regularly use: i had to look them up almost every time i needed them. when i had an error with the key database, i had to look up the commands, which fixed that issue.

all these things make the CLI cumbersome to use. in some cases the GUI is much more comfortable.
pacli was made for experienced people, who share these feelings. pacli does not get advertised as the ultimate package manager for manjaro beginners, but as a bash script for experienced users for complicated and cumbersome pacman / yaourt commands.

Terminator...

@ivan: I don't think pacli is really hiding anything. The help part explains everything thoroughly, and no pacman output is hidden.

@excalibur1234: there actually is autocompletion for this if you use fish or zsh (bspwm edition does). You can even have aur autocompletion for yaourt with right plugins. And there are cases where this is actually faster than pacli, for example when installing groups (base-devel, gnome, etc)

For me, main benefit of pacli is not needing to type sudo before commands, and being able browse repos for installation or installed packages for removal. Because I don't memorize package names and have more packages installed than I can remember.

not as elaborate as pacli but I use this method so often now that I even removed the notification area in xfce, turned off Update Notifier in session and startup which killed off pamac-tray task in turn saving 26.5mb of ram usage.

drop an alias in your .bashrc

alias update='sudo pacman-optimize && sync && sudo pacman -Syyu'

as normal user in terminal just type

update

of course this is a manual method and should be run often as you will no longer get update notifications.

Pacli isn't hiding the commands, it is a bash script in /usr/bin/pcali and its code is delightful to read.

in a way it does, because it masks the actual commands used by offering you different commands.

on the other hand, it explains all the commands it uses in detail:

read that and you actually learn something about how the underlying stuff in your OS works!

1 Like

I meant not hiding in a way like binary executable programms do.

not hiden in bin, just difficult to find in source code

ps: nice function this preview :yellow_heart:

1 Like

those who prefer non-cryptic names for packages and programs can have a look at pacmenu, a fork of pacli-simple:

https://beamstat.com/chan/manjaro/

https://beamstat.com/chan/manjaro/dbab1b0af811665cb5e98d3383dd284fa8eed7de80769f45e29dd5ecb5e17a48

Forum kindly sponsored by