Pamac - Am I up-to-date or out-of-date?

The wording of checkupdates is a little confusing.

$ pamac checkupdates -a
Your system is up-to-date.

Out of Date:
protonmail-bridge  1.2.3-1  AUR

It turns out that protonmail-bridge is flagged as out-of-date in the AUR.

Maybe change the wording to include "Flagged" or similar so that our OS isn't in the super-position of being up-to-date and out-of-date at the same time.

3 Likes

I'm enjoying the quantum references...

2 Likes

Sure, but let's keep "Schrödinger's Update" as a thought experiment. We don't need no collapsing wave functions around here!

2 Likes

So, pamac doesn't update things from the AUR -> so it's correct.

On the flip side protonmail-bridge from the AUR is out of date (I also use it) -> so that's also correct.

If you would like to update your AUR programs - as it seems you're using the terminal, you will want to use

yay -Syu

Or whatever AUR package helper you're currently using (pacaur, yay, etc)

Just reverse the polarity ..

@fbodymechanic .. technically .. it is best practice to not use a helper for updates .. to only use it for the aur .. and to not use one to incur a possible partial upgrade. Its a bit pedantic .. but .. it should go something like this
sudo pacman -Syu
yay -Sua
(though some helpers, like yay, do put in safe guards or call pacman first, etc)

..oh yeah .. not to mention --devel which might be handy for those git packages ..

1 Like

Umm.....yes it does.

The issue here is that the package needs to be updated by the maintainer. I think the OP is just recommending the verbiage be changed.

1 Like

It does? Huh. Even as long as I've been using this, there's so much more to learn.

1 Like

AUR page has a link in comments to another pkgbuild script on protonmail site

https://protonmail.com/download/beta/PKGBUILD

• later version - pkgver=1.2.5
  • depends= has 3 identical dependencies, but qt5-base appears to replace hicolor-icon-theme
  • different value for sha256sums=

could try to use either new pkgbuild, or edit old one

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by