Pamac shows false update notifications

System:
Kernel: 5.4.43-1-MANJARO x86_64
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5
Branch: Stable

Since the past one or two weeks, Pamac has been showing false update notifications in the system tray. It happens quite frequently, sometimes multiple times a day. On running

sudo pacman -Syu

it says there are no updates. Never had this problem before.

[Edit] I should have pointed this out before. The update notification goes away after Pacman's "no updates" message. But then it comes back again after some time, and this cycle has been going on since the last couple of weeks.

Use the Refresh databases option from pamac :hamburger: menu

1 Like

Welcome to the Manjaro Forum

Have you installed anything form the AUR, any Flatpacks or Snaps? These don't get updated by Pacman.
sudo pacman -Syu
Will not show any updates.

If there are any AUR updates available then:
pamac update -a
will install them. Or you can use the Pamac GUI.
Note -Do not use sudo with pamac

1 Like

For me, I have seen the update notification on KDE, I open a konsole, and:

$ sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                             170.1 KiB   868 KiB/s 00:00 [-------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                                              2.0 MiB  5.18 MiB/s 00:00 [-------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 community                                                          5.9 MiB  8.36 MiB/s 00:01 [-------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                                                         195.2 KiB  19.1 MiB/s 00:00 [-------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: fontconfig: local (2:2.13.1+12+g5f5ec56-2) is newer than extra (2:2.13.1+12+g5f5ec56-1)
 there is nothing to do

And the tray notification goes away, confusing me. What I think happens is that there was an AUR update, so when I use pamac as my AUR helper to update my AUR packages, there is something to do.

So, I think the bug in the pamac notifier is not that it falsely shows a repo update possible, but that when there is only an AUR update, it resets after you update your repo packages.

could this be similar issue to this:

?

A fix will be soon available.
And as a side note you can use pamac with sudo

3 Likes

Okay, the Wiki needs updating then.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pamac#Using_the_Pamac_CLI
Warning: Never use sudo with pamac. It will ask for escalated rights if it needs them

2 Likes

The output you shared is exactly what I am also getting, except the warning. After that the notification goes away.

I noticed that there indeed is an AUR update, but I think there's also a bug. Pamac shows me that multiple updates are available.

No. It doesn't download anything. When we go and update it says there's nothing to do. See @mparillo's reply.

Can is not the same as should.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks.

My Flatpaks are managed by Discover. Snaps auto-update. I checked and saw that there was one AUR update. But still, Pamac was showing that multiple updates are required while (as I found out now) there was only one AUR update and no regular updates. See @mparillo's answer. That's what's happening.

I guess it's the same as doing sudo pacman -Syyu. I have tried that. Didn't solve the problem.

Sorry, I was taking @guinux to mean 'can' as in it is permitted or okay to do, rather than 'can' it is possible. English is the worst language, and I'm a native...

Second apology in one message for being off-topic!

No you understood it well, it's permitted and OK to use pamac with sudo. It's just that you also can use it as user.

Are you doing something to ensure makepkg doesn't get run as root when you do sudo pamac build package?

1 Like

That is an excellent question and probably the reason why some AUR helpers do issue big warnings if run as root.

Yes you can't use the build command as root. All other actions are possible.

That is why we recommend not running pamac as root. Because it is mush simpler than explaining that some operations can be run as root while other should not. Today it may only be build but tomorrow you may add some other cool feature that also shouldn't be run as root. This advice works since pamac does a good job of escalating privileges when it needs to.

1 Like

Use the Refresh databases option from pamac :hamburger: menu

I guess it's the same as doing sudo pacman -Syyu

pacman-mirrors to update mirrorlist is not the same as pacman
(or pamac checkupdates)

suggest reset mirrorlist if it has not been updated for a while

wiki.manjaro.org - Pacman-mirrors -Reset
You will come to a point where you want to reset to defaults

sudo pacman-mirrors --country all --api --protocols all --set-branch stable && sudo pacman -Syyu

are you saying that if you also have discover installed along side pamac and you install a package via discover, updates to those packages wont show up in pamac as well?

Forum kindly sponsored by