Trying to install Manjaro for the first time, following this guide - [HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step. My prerequisites are as follows:
- a Linux user since 2004 (mostly Ubuntu/Mint), have tried Manjaro on VirtualBox for a month or so
- the laptop: Lenovo X1 Extreme with Windows 10 preinstalled
- the goal: keep the existing Windows 10 installation and make it a dualboot Manjaro/W10
- the limitations: keeping the Windows stuff is crucial as all my work is there and I can't afford a delay in work (no, you guys are not responsible if something goes wrong, it's just a forum of good people)
- the Windows stuff above is just a code folder and a programming/coding environment in the Ubuntu installation with some extra software within WSL2, which I'd like to move completely into Manjaro at the end
I have shrunk my Windows partition, freeing 272 Gb for the Manjaro, set off the Secure Boot option in BIOS, so now able to boot into my Manjaro USB stick and start the installation process. Then, at the disk partitioning step, I've got questions I'd like to have some answers before proceeding, because, you know, it's a potential data loss step. First, please see the screenshot of all the partitions I now have on the disk.
Please also see the screenshot from the GRUB "Detect UEFI partitions" menu item:
The installation guide says:
Select the unpartitioned space → Create
a. Size → input 512
b. Filesystem → select FAT32
c. Mountpoint → select /boot/efi
d. Flags → check boot and esp → OK
Question 1: I think I already have the EFI partition (
/dev/nvme0n1p1, FAT32, 260 Mb), so confused if the above means I shall create another one. Many other installation guides say the existing EFI partition can be reused. So, can I reuse my existing EFI partition? Shall I resize it somehow if so, as the guide says 512 but I have only 260? Shall I just mount the existing EFI partition to
/boot/efi in case it can be reused?
Question 2: what are those other partitions
/dev/nvme0n1p2, 16 Mb and
/dev/nvme0n1p4, NTFS, 1000 Mb?
Question 3: the installer says the partition table is GPT, I can remember it's ok, but double-checking here - is that ok?
Question 4: you see the above guide says
Flags → check boot and esp → OK. I see no
esp flag for the existing EFI partition, so if the existing partition can be reused, which flags should I set on it then?
Question 5: is that enough to have 60 Gb for the root partition, keeping in mind I'd like to have Timeshift as well? Any partitions size suggestions are welcome.
Let me please know if any extra info is needed, and thanks in advance.