Partitions not working

I have just moved over to linux and if im honest my first opinions are a bit iffy as ive hit a problem i cant seem to work out. I have multiple drives that I couldnt access as they had a locked symbol on them. So i deleted them but now the drives them selfs I cant mount or partition. I keep getting the error No object for D-Bus interface.

As a side not is there anyway of getting a more futuristic or nicer looking look of the linux im on. Im using XFCE version and it just doesnt look right for me but i cant seem to change it at all.

Thx for the help

Hi there.
Xfce is plenty customizable. You can find examples among the captures shared by other Manjaroos, and many, many themes to choose -- some of them being available in the repository / AUR.

how did you delete them? Also, why did you delete them?

can you show output of sudo fdisk -l /dev/hard_drive(*) (* check e.g. dmesg to get correct name or just check /dev before and after connecting drive) ?

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdc: Permission denied

Needs admin rights: sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdX (replace X with the correct letter, see output of lsblk).

When you get the dbus error

• in case of usb drives replug the drive
  • in case of internal - reboot the system

If you are dualbooting with Windows you need to disable Windows hybrid sleep and fastboot.

If those windows features are active when you reboot it will make the Linux ntfs driver lock the drives as the filesystem is in a dirty state. You will be able to read them but not write to them.

Some help in that regard can be found in this post

Disk /dev/sdc1: 223.6 GiB, 240055746560 bytes, 468858880 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I am not dualbooting as I have reformatted windows just to have Linux
Rebooting the system doesnt seem to work

How did you delete them?

If you did a partitioning in Linux you need to format the partition too.

When a drive has one or more partitions and those are formatted, an output of fdisk could look like this - for a 8GB usb stick.

~ >>> sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdl
[sudo] password for fh: 
Disk /dev/sdl: 7,3 GiB, 7807696896 bytes, 15249408 sectors
Disk model: DataTraveler 2.0
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xfd0bf22d

Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdl1  *     2048 15249407 15247360  7,3G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

When you have prepared a drive - you need to mount it and to have the correct permissions for the folder holding the mounted partition.

Using GParted

Somehow it just seems to be working now after like 10 reboots dunno why. Buy i have another thing. is there a way to make it stop asking me for passwords every single time. Gets annoying

Sure there is, it's easily done by installing Windows. Linux is a secure operating system and the passwords are there for your protection.

I thought your boot was borked as per your other post. Seems you have way more than one issue going on here.

Yes haha not the best first impressions ever but I'm getting there this is an older post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by