Persistent Storage on USB - How to Save Settings

I did find this article on how to create persistence storage on the USB using MinitTool.

I did that but the second part about mounting and selecting the disk doesn't work.

I can't believe I am the only person having this issue. Surely other users must want to save changes. Unless I'm missing something.

You seem to be misunderstanding the second option, you have to use the installer on the live-iso.
You are trying to simply use an iso-writer. This solution however is that you boot to a live-iso and proceed with the install as if you would install it on the computer, but instead of selecting an drive as the the install target you select another USB drive.

That article is written for Kali and will very likely not work with Manjaro.

Most users just install Manjaro to their computers or in a virtual machine

2 Likes

Have a look at the following article to have an idea about the second method linked above by @bogdancovaciu:
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-os-on-usb-drive/

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I don't have the knowledge yet.
So what you're saying is run Manjaro (which I am running for the USB now), then click on the CD Icon to install Majaro live onto another USB on the same computer. If that is correct will it automatically create a persistence section?

I will eventually do that but am really concerned about notting up my system so thought it best to try on USB first.
I suppose there is a tutorial on here for that, will find.

Thanks. I read it. Seems to be a big issue with changes to the hard on Windows, and that's what I'm fearful of. I read the comments below the article.

But on the right track at least.

Yes to that. You will have to use manual partitioning

It will create an installation like it would on the computer, but the data will be located on the USB drive.

In that case I would recommend to use a virtual machine e.g. with virtualbox. There is plenty of information on that, it will be a better experience than using an USB drive and you can create snapshots as backup points.
You will not need all of this as e.g. installing virtualbox in Manjaro is also included

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=VirtualBox

In that case I can only recommend you a virtual machine once again.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to point out the differences.
I will go with option 1 for now, to install live on a USB.
I am not at the virtual box stage yet - if I lost my current computer function it would hard.
Once I get my second USB I will report back.

BTW, one thing I don't understand. Why does Rufus when loading Mint XCFE ISO allow for persistent storage but when Manjaro is the ISO it doesn't. Isn't it easier to code Manjaro to be the same as XCFE?

Debian-based Mint & Arch-based Manjaro have little in common, other than they are both Linux distributions. The quicker you stop comparing Mint to Manjaro and start learning Manjaro, the quicker you will become proficient.

Xfce can be found anywhere. It's just a DE.

regards

4 Likes

Explanations are already present in the thread that @bogdancovaciu linked to above. Here it is again:

Worth reading:

I didn't know that. But it makes sense. I thought Mint and Manjaro were near equal. Thanks.

@ Marte
Yeah I was confusing making a USB (writer) with USB to USB Live (using Manjaro on the first USB). Is why I will do the Live from another USB. Thanks.

@jonathan
Not sure what part you're suggesting I reference. I installed Manjaro and am working through a live install. It's not clear to a newcomer on the differences imo with persistent storage. All Manjaro states is 'your data will not be saved'. Rather than "this is how to save data".
I don't usually post without trying to find an answer on the forum or web.

Part of gaining critical mass is making installs easy. Is why I stated XCFE was so easy to install through the writers (USB Installer) because it automatically creates persistent storage, not having to go through multiple steps as Manjaro isn't recognized. I should probably be asking USB installer about the issue.

Manjaro is not the same as other distros so don't expect it to work in the same way.

I don't see why that would be the case. A Casper-based "persistent USB" is something which Ubuntu (and Mint?) offers. As far as I know, no other distro has that as an option as an installer image is intended for installing the OS.

Ok, Cooter explained that. True.

I am relying on USB Installer to know this if it has persistent storage if the field appears to select the amount of persistent storage one wants. I assume if that field doesn't appear there is no option for PS (which is right since Manjaro doesn't).

All good.

I don't know whose "USB Installer" you reference, but Manjaro has little influence on things outside of Manjaro. If you mean Rufus, then it is up to you, the Windows user, to explore how it works with Manjaro, and that requires a little--just a little--research on the part of the intended user.

As you are learning, not all breeds of Linux are alike. You'd have had difficulties with the various RPM-based distributions, as well. That's why, for example, they usually have things available like the excellent aforementioned Manjaro Wiki.

As well, there is the also stated forum FAQ and the forum Search tool. We're a very active community, so it is important that you help us to help you.

There is a wealth of other resources, as well. The longer you're here the better able you'll make use of them, please and--now that you've gotten your start--please do so. I would also be remiss if I did not post the link to the Arch Linux Wiki. Manjaro, though its own distribution, is based in Arch Linux (similar to how Mint is based in Debian), and the Arch Wiki is renowned for its documentation.

Welcome to Manjaro Linux! :smiley:

4 Likes

Not sure what your point is. I already tried to find answers to my questions before posting. And I already stated (if you read) USB installer from PendriveLinux wouldn't accept Manjaro as a distro allowing persistent storage. And there is little information on using 2 USBs processs but Firefightux provided it.
Simple.

Nevermind. :smiley:

1 Like

So I loaded Manjaro on the first USB (16GB) , works fine with my system. HP, i7, Windows 7.
I purchased a second larger USB (USB 2, 32GB ) to install a persistent version.

I followed the steps I found online to use the Launcher to create the bootable version on USB 2. I created the partitions on USB2 using the "Erase" command in the launcher, which made 1 big partition.

All was fine when starting at install - now stuck over an hour at 22% for, so I cancelled it.

I searched forums regarding problems, main issue is drivers for the video card.

However, Manjaro runs fine on the first USB with my computer.

Any ideas why the issue is just with USB2?

Thanks

BTW, Firefightux mentioned:
Yes to that. You will have to use manual partitioning

But the article I read the fellow used the Erase command for partitons and it worked for him.

Create a partiton on the USB stick, copy the home folder from the live user there, logout, login as root on TTY, mount the new partition on /home, login as manjaro on different TTY, run startx.
Next time, boot to TTY, login as root, mount the partition on /home, login as manjaro on different TTY, run startx.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by