PineBook PRO - Manjaro 20.0.4 - NVMe

Hi,

I reveived my PBP last week and after an error I made with u-boot have reinstalled it with the latest installer for EMMC

But I have also a (very good working) NVMe drive installed and want(ed) to use it as an root drive for home and all binaries, logfiles etc. ATM I only have located /home on it.

But the forums are full of tips for doing this. But all of them seem to work only with the old 1-partion scheme on Manjaro. I have ruined my original installation with this.

My question: is there something like a "cookbook" for doing this with the new partition scheme of Manjaro? No problem if /boot has to remain on the EMMC

I do not want ruin my working istallation :wink: And it is very frustrating reading all the instructions for all possible and impossible u-boot versions.

Thanks in advance

This doesn't directly answer your question but here's how I recently had to re-setup my / install on my NVMe. (After the edit)

It should be as simple as booting a "live" Manjaro ARM image from an SDCard and making a / partition on your NVMe with the label ROOT_MNJRO and then rsync-ing the contents of / on the emmc to the newly created partition. You'd then delete the root partition from the eMMC. Before doing that verify that /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf (on your eMMC) has root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO set within.

1 Like

After bricking my PBP more than one time with flashing U-Boot i handled it in this way

1. install partitionmanger or gparted
  2. format the NVMe and make one partition with EXT4 on it
  3. mount the newly created NVMe partition to /mnt
  4. "cd /mnt"
  5. "mkdir dev proc sys mnt"
  6. "rsync -aHxv --numeric-ids --progress /* /mnt --exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt"
  7. start partitionmanager KDE or gparted
  8. edit the partition and rename the original partition label from "MNJRO_ROOT to MNJRO_ROOT_1 on the SD card
  9. edit and rename the partition label of the NVMe partition to MNJRO_ROOT
  10. apply all changes and reboot

Now the PBP boots from /boot on the EMMC and mounts / from the NVMe

Mission accomplished and no need for u-boot updates or renewals

NO warranties that it works the same way on other PBP's of other users !!!!

2 Likes

Works perfectly fine! Thanks for the write up...

EDIT one minor issue discovered: gnome-keyring-daemon complains about insufficient privileges and insecure memory, reinstall via pacman seems to solve the issue.

Hi DrLamb and Zash

Thanks for your comments: they might explain why my PBP is not booting from the SD card: the partitions on the eMMC are corrupt following that July update but still named 'BOOT_MNJRO' and 'ROOT_MNJRO' as are the partitions on the SD card. From the Unix command line (I seem to be able to get Arch Linux working but not Manjaro) do you know what commands I should use to change the label/partition name?

Thanks

SDCard should always have a higher priority then the internal eMMC. Even after changing the boot order to use the M2 SSD on my machine I’m still able to boot a separate system from microSD.

If that doesn’t work on your machine you should create a new microSD card from an up to date image.

EDIT: from within the OS booted from the microSD card you should be able to fix your internal eMMC, or completely replace the OS there with a fresh image.

Hi Appel

Alas the screen is always blank. I've tried three versions of 20.06 (XFCE/I3/KDE) and none of them work. It is a great mystery! Hoping someone out there will know what to do...

[edit] I have discovered how to log into the broken manjaro so am hopeful I can fix it up now. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 89 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by