Plasma-Unity Look And Feel Package

Plasma-Unity Look And Feel package

Hi there, this is my first try making a Look And Feel package for Plasma and I would appriciate any help to make it better.
Right now there is no single installable package since I do actually not know how to include all the additional dependencies and configuration steps into one installable script or package.
But if you follow my installation guide, it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to set it up!

Additional AUR packages you may want to install first to have a complete Unity look:

humanity-icon-theme
ttf-ubuntu-font-family

EDIT: Installation Script Plasma-Unity-Look-and-feel.tar.gz

I've made a little installation script which is inside the Plasma-Unity-Look-and-feel folder -> called install.sh

This script is far from beeing perfect, but it works!

How to install?

1- Please make sure the folder Plasma-Unity-Look-and-feel is in your home directory - (copy it to /home/your-user-name/)

2- Inside the folder right click install.sh and make sure it is executable

3- Click on install.sh and click execute

What is it doing?

First of all it will make a backup of all your original folders where files will get copied to and save it inside the backup folder. So you can easy restore your original setup by copying this files back.

Then it will guide you through the complete setup with system popups by starting the right kcm modules.

It also makes this changes:
-Hot corners (top left - Present Windows of all desktops) and (top right - Desktop Grid).
-Activates 4 virtual desktops
-Activates mouse middle-click on left launcher to open new instance
-Hide titelbar for maximized windows
-Setup the included wallpaper as default

And some other tweaks

Enjoy!

What I have done so far:

Created a look and feel package called Unity which includes:
-Unity Ambiance Desktop Theme
-Color scheme called Unity
-plasmoids -> ActiveWindowControl, NetspeedWidget, Eventcalender, ResourcesMonitor
-Desktop configuration like Panels etc.

Changed the original GTK3 Ambiance theme from Ubuntu Unity to integrate with the plasma desktop, like scrollbars etc.
GTK2 theme is using the original Unity settings.

How to manual install this package Plasma-Unity-Look-and-feel.tar.gz
1- Extract the file to your prefered directory
2- Change to the new created folder
3- open a terminal in the same folder or navigate to it and type:

kpackagetool5 -i Unity.tar.gz

(This should install without errors)

Now copy all the folders to their directories or just their files if the folders do already exist.
4- copy .themes folder to /home/User/
5- copy color-schemes and plasma to /home/User/.local/share/

Setup the Theme:
Go to System Settings -> workspace theme -> Look And Feel
Click on Unity and check the Use Desktop Layout from theme checkbox. - Apply

Go to Splash Screen and chose your prefered Splash Screen Theme. - Apply

Go to Colors and chose Unity. - Apply

Go to Fonts -> Adjust All Fonts and chose Ubuntu. - Apply

Go to Icons click on Humanity and Apply

Go to Application Style -> Widget Style -> Fine Tuning tab, click on Menubar style and chose Application Menu widget. - Apply

Now go to Window Decorations and set Border size to -> No Side Borders.
Click on Breeze and click the menu button inside the window,
In the General tab set Title alignment to Left,
Button size: Small
Check Draw a cirle around close button. - Apply

Click on the Buttons tab and drag&drop close, maximize, minimize buttons to left (Delete the other buttons if you want). - Apply

Click on GNOME Application Style (GTK) and set Ambiance for GTK2 and GTK3 Theme

Click on Icon theme and set Humanity. - Apply

Adjust the top panel Height to about the size of your Window Title Bar and Width on Sidepanel to your like.

Maximize any window and right click on the min,max,close buttons in the top panel
-> Active Window Control Settings.
Check -> Hide titlebar for maximized windows. -Apply (OK)

Reboot,
Enjoy!

Additional info for konsole to make it look like Unity:
-Background color: #300a24

• .bashrc Prompt: PS1='[\033[01;32m]\u@\h[\033[00m]:[\033[01;34m]\w[\033[00m]$ '

How to remove it?
Delete all the copied files, or the 3 folders if they didn't exist before the install.

5 Likes

Hey there,
Congrats on your first theme :slight_smile:
I would like to mention a similar effort that is in kde store now called united.

I havent looked at either yours or united .. but I have a feeling if this is new to you that you might find some benefit in poking around their project for ideas. Or maybe you've covered a few things they've missed.
Anyways, kudos!

Hi and thank you for looking into it :slight_smile:
Actually the united theme is part of my theme :wink:
I was trying to make a all in one package with this theme, since there is actually no look and feel theme I have tried that would make all the necessary changes like GTK2/3, Icons etc. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ha. I suppose that was the other possibility :smiley:
Keep us updated. (oh also - you were featured on omgubuntu a while back)

1 Like

Looks sort of Gnome-ish to me... :scream:

Oh, wait. Never mind.

1 Like

Were you aware there is an already installable Unity theme via KDE System Settings>Look and Feel>Get New Looks and the United theme, by llucas? They are hosted at https://store.kde.org

And that is what I would advise you in order to get the widest KDE audience and to provide a much easier installation/removal system.

Regards

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like @cscs got to it first! :smiley:

Thank you guys for the tips.
Maybe I should point out some things, so that you hopefully better understand why I made all of this.

My problem was, that nothing I have tryed from complete Look and Feel themes, to single icon themes etc. gave me what I want to have. And that is a complete pre configured desktop layout with all the tweaks, plasmoids, color schemes, icon theme, GTK2/3 intergration and so on. So that at the end I will not have to change anything anymore by hand. With this I can setup any Plasma VM or new install within 5 minutes without spending hours on configurations etc. Thats a big plus for me.

I did not try to reinvent the wheel. Like you guys already pointed out, there are existing (partly) solutions.
I did combine the existing solutions with my own changes to make an -All In One- Package, which gives me the ability to set it up very quick without the need to touch it anymore afterwards.:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great.

I recently created my first look and feel package as well. I haven't been able to make it enable GTK2 and GTK3 themes or change wallpapers and Application Menu icon.

How did you do that?
I tried adding the required lines in $THEME/content/default where the rest of it gets changed, but no luck.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I have exactly the same problem and since I couldn't find any good documentation I decidet to simply include the GTK themes to the .themes folder, which is part of my zip.

That is one of the reasons why I can't upload this theme to https://store.kde.org to make it simple installable.

Ah okay. So you have the same problem, that you can include the theme, but not enable it when enabling the look-n-feel package. So not just me having this issue then. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I still need to enable it by hand after enabling the look and feel package. :sob:
Thought that I asked Mr. google the wrong questions :smirk:
But now I know I'm not alone :smile:

@pux, should we move this topic to the "tutorials" section and make it a wiki (so anybody can edit it - also in the future)?
or should we keep this topic here and make it wiki?

please tell us, whether you like my idea or not.

I think it's a very nice idea, for me either way would be ok. :slight_smile:

done.

1 Like

Awesome!

I've made a little install script and updated the article.
If someone could test it and report back, would be awesome!

The GTK3 theme setup I solved by copying config folder gtk-3.0 to ~/.config and to setup the wallpaper I use qdbus.
However this all are workarounds so far. Couldnt really find a solution yet how to integrate everything into the Look and Feel package.

Doing about the same. As mine is an installable package I install mine into /usr/share/ instead of .config.

I honestly didn't want to make a script which requires sudo rights

Forum kindly sponsored by