[POLL] Manjaro-ARM ressurrection?

Hi all.

I had a crazy idea!

Since the news about Red Hat Enterprise Linux supporting ARM I wondered if I should ressurrect Manjaro-ARM, but go more of the "server" approach with it.

I'm just wondering if there would be enough interest in the project.
I would basicly put up the repo's again and supply 1 "install image", which would be a "server" edition, preloaded with a LAMP stack, preliminary Snap support and no GUI. Would probably distribute it like Arch Linux ARM as a tarball.

But since it would require a large amount of work, I want to be sure the interest is there, and maybe some or willing to help in some way (mirrors, documentation etc...).

• I'd like and use this edition, plus help out if needed.
  • I would like a Manjaro-ARM server edition.
  • The project is dead, and should remain dead.

0 voters

3 Likes

I think it's better to focus on desktop, just look what happened at canonical when they tried their convergence project. Too much of work for too few people.

1 Like

While I do agree with that statement, I think that ARM is getting bigger and bigger players on the Tech market.
And Red Hat now has it as an official server image aswell, just indicate that Red Hat thinks ARM is competitive with x86 in the server space.

I run several "servers" at home on ARM hardware, and as such, they do the jobs they have just fine.

PS: I'm not part of the Manjaro Team, so the Manjaro Team would not be "stretching thin" on this at all.

2 Likes

I think RH by arm servers considers something more like this rather than homegamer stuff like RPi.

Anyway Arch and server in one sentence is kinda weird on it's own but if people were interested then why not to try.

1 Like

I know Red Hat are thinking about the high end ARM hardware, but it makes it possible to run on home and small business servers too.

Thanks for the input, and I will take it into consideration if/when I decide what to do. :slight_smile:

I loved Manjaro-Arm and would love to see a return. A server version would be usable, however I would make sure a desktop was available for download. I would gladly devote time to this but would need guidance, i.e. tell me what to do.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it.

If a desktop version is made, it should be a with a very lightweight desktop, since the hardware is not great for desktop usage.

XFCE, LXQT and Openbox come to mind as some, that might work fine on ARM. But browsers tend to hog down the systems.

I love to have a ARM-Manjaro iso.
It would be great because i wanted to boot my raspberry pi3 with manjaro (desktop or server)
I know that maintaining Package will be big task.
But if it include the AUR user can build package their own.

1 Like

Manjaro ARM desktop resurrection would be great, resources permitting, but an Arch based rolling ARM server is not the best idea IMO.

Rolling release servers is like sardine flavoured ice cream... all wrong, and could make you very sick!

9 Likes

I do support that, and would like to use it.
I recently bought a RPi3, but then I found out that Manjaro ARM was discontinued.

I also would try to help if needed.

1 Like

What are you doing with my sardines, that is just horrible.

I also would love running manjaro in a raspberry pi, would try to run my DE on it :grin: @Strit

I'm fairly sure your DE is lightweight enough.
Last time I tried it, it didn't have a session login though. It just runs in parallel with the other DE.

If there is a Manjaro-ARM edition again I will definitely buy an suitable device and try to learn LAMP server.

3 Likes

Maybe, as you mention before browsers hog a bit, also not sure if gobject works on arm

There are lots of gobject packages in the Arch Linux ARM repo's. So I think it would work.

1 Like

Does manjaro-tools work?

What is the work involved to make this happens?

Manjaro-tools does not work on manjaro. I won't be doing ISO either.
I'll probably do tarballs or in best case scenario .img files you DD directly to the SD/MMC card.

We have to get the infrastructure back into place. That means, main mirror, build server and github repositories needs to be updated.
Then loads of testing on devices and adjusting old images to be in line with newer versions of the software.
When the images are as they should be, they need to be copied, compressed and distributed.

It is a fair bit of work.

When I was thinking about getting a pi I was reading manjaro arm website, it seams that was some hardware issues at the kernel level if I am not mistaken with arm arquiteture?

The RPI's are very well supported by the mainline kernel at this point. i think the rpi's run on kernel 4.9 LTS.

1 Like

The idea is appealing to me. I'm currently learning servers and have a raspberry pi collecting dust. I have been planning on making meta packages to easily/automatically setup lamp, lemp and nextcloud. There have also been talks about having server setup menu in manjaro-architect.

It would be interesting to participate in this. However, I have some questions: what do we use for repos? Would get packages from arch arm? And what would differentiate manjaro-arm from arch arm, besides the initial setup?

Forum kindly sponsored by