porting apps made for other distributions

I've been interested in switching to manjaro full time, but I am concerned about my ability to port over apps, for example their is the open source call/messaging app signal, but it appears to only support installation for debian based systems and windows/mac.

If I wanted to use manjaro, but still use this app, on my desktop how could I do it? Would I have to run a virtual machine or emulator? Or is there a better way perhaps?

Is that the same thing as signal-desktop which is available?

Repository      : community
Name            : signal-desktop
Version         : 1.31.0-2
Description     : Electron application that links with Signal on mobile
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://signal.org
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : electron  libvips
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : signal-desktop-bin
Download Size   : 40.19 MiB
Installed Size  : 117.61 MiB
Packager        : Nicola Squartini <tensor5@gmail.com>
Build Date      : Tue 11 Feb 2020 09:39:48 PM CST
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature
2 Likes

Yeah wanted to say that myself.... i think it is either already in the community packages or atleast in the AUR.
There is even a Noto emoji version. Don't know what that means though. :smiley:

Thanks for the reply and how do I find this? or make use of this? I am very new to linux and arch, so i'm not sure where I would install this from?

Like most other things you would install it from the pamac package manager. You would have to activate the option for Aur though first if you want the Noto emoji version.

1 Like

You can either use "Add/Remove Software" or open a terminal and type:

pamac install signal-desktop

In general, the way to install software in Manjaro is not to go to a website and download it but, instead to use the built-in tools such as Add/Remove Software.

1 Like

thanks both of you. I like the idea of installing directly from the terminal, I didn't know it would be that easy!

1 Like

Here's more info on pamac if you're interested, created by Manjaro.

Here is more info on pacman, created by Arch; current default Arch/Manjaro Package Manager:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by