Preparations for Dual Boot Advice

As some of you may be aware I've been running Windows 10 for the past month while running all of the Manjaro Spins in VirtualBox looking for my next Manjaro Daily Driver. I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, SbK KDE and SbK LXqt.

The plan is to dual boot Windows 10 and Manjaro.

I think we're all aware of the plethora of posts about dual boot issues. What are some resources I can read to reduce issues with GRUB and dual booting in general?

The number one response I've noticed tends to be "Install Windows first, then Manjaro", which is certainly the plan in my instance.

EDIT: Side question. What's the difference between a Full and Minimal ISO. I understand that obviously the Minimal ISO has fewer packages. But is there a specified requirement between the two?, and is this universal between all Manjaro ISOs? I think I answered my own question with forum search.

EDIT: Checklist gathered from the advice of Respondees and the steps I have performed.

1. Backup Windows - Before Backup up I created a 100 GB partition on my secondary 1 TB hard drive and am using that as the backup. Settings>Backup Settings>Choose Drive>Review Folders for Backup. Backups are fairly quick. Less than 10 minutes for 84 GB.
  2. Latest Firmware via the Manufacturer website.
  3. No Intel Optane to disable.
  4. AHCI was already enabled.
  5. No RAID to disable
  6. Secure Boot already disabled.
  7. CSM already disabled.
  8. Fast Boot already disabled.
  9. Hybrid Sleep disabled.
  10. Hibernate disabled.
  11. Shrunk windows partition (C:) from 931 GB to 465 GB via Disk Management. Left remainder Unallocated.
  12. Cleaned windows by running Disk Cleanup as Admin(Running as Admin allows more items to be cleaned up, such as old windows update files, etc.).
  13. Before I shut the machine down from windows to install Manjaro, I'll need to run the following. Make sure to open Command Prompt as Admin.
    chkdsk C: /F
    chkdsk D: /F
    chkdsk E: /F
    I don't know If I need to run this for each drive, but it doesn't hurt anything and I'd rather be safe.

I'm not finished yet. Now it's on to installing Manjaro. I still have to make my choice between SbK KDE or SbK LXqt.

Make sure you have a backup of Windows before you resize the partition to make space for Linux. Other than that, just do it.

You have been around long enough to work through it successfully. There isn't much to it. It usually just works. If it doesn't work, deal with it afterwards.

3 Likes

Agreed, I just want to make sure I have my checklist in order. Whenever I make changes on my computer, I tend to go through that process in a slow manner that companies do before making the change.

I believe the best way to to learn is by doing.

Also, you aren't a newbie any more so you should probably start jumping in a little more deeply.

2 Likes

I guess the most prudent approach for resizing Windows is to do it from Windows itself. In case of UEFI installation, I would make a separate EFI system partition for Manjaro alone in order to eliminating any possible interference from Windows updates/upgrades in the future overwriting the Grub.

1 Like

If you are soliciting advice for dual booting with Windoze, mine is very simple.

Don't.

4 Likes

To be honest, I never understood people's affection for GRUB other than convenience. I'm perfectly fine with pressing the Boot Menu key(Esc in my case) and choosing the OS. People are just trying to eliminate pressing 1 key and their world turns upside down when that doesn't work.

Thanks for your advice, I'm going with this. Now on to find some information on effectively partitioning correctly for a separate EFI system partition.

2 Likes

Understood, but @Marte did give me a great idea that will require some delving for me that should eliminate any issues with the GRUB in the future.

The Boot Menu is in the BIOS of most devices for a reason. If I partition correctly and avoid using GRUB to Dual Boot, this should eliminate the headaches of fixing the GRUB.

Please have read at:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Installation_Guides
and also :arrow_down: (the relevant parts from page 29 onwards)

1 Like

Thanks, looks like pages 73-90 is exactly what I need.

1 Like

Have I overlooked it or has no one referenced the tutorial for dual boot?

2 Likes

I tried looking for something like this, but I wasn't finding it with my keywords. I think I was using "Dual Boot Guide" as my search term

EDIT: I'm going to setup dual boot differently, but there is still good info in here, such as disabling fast startup and Hybrid Sleep.

I wish I could mark two answer's as solutions. You guys have been great. I'll be posting a step by step guide in the post that solves the issue(I mean, there really wasn't an issue, just information gathering).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by