Printing not working [and] Can't install new printer either after yesterday's update

I've had the same problem with an HP3700 series printer - stopped working after upgrade (CUPS 2.2.11 to 2.3.0). I solved it in my case by installing the downgrade script and reverting to CUPS 2.2.11. Printer installed and functioning as before.

Please note that if you do this to make sure you downgrade libcups then cups itself. Remember to lock the downgrades against automatic upgrades when the script asks you. This procedure uses the command line and might seem intimidating to those users without experience - don't worry it's all straightforward!

I'm sure that the more experienced members could find a better fix but I went for the most simple and obvious!

1 Like

@erichalfbe, how did I not consider doing this? Thank you. I downgraded cups and libcups (both from 2.3.0 to 2.2.11) and can again install my office HP 7740 without issue. Thank you for the post.

EDIT: I also had to downgrade cups-filters from 1.25.4 to 1.25.1 as well. Before I downgraded this package as well, I was getting erroneous Out Of Paper messages and couldn't print.

The specifics of what I did, to be clear for someone who may be unfamiliar with downgrading:

1) One method of downgrading is to use the downgrade package:

sudo pacman -Sy downgrade

2) Assuming you still have the previous versions of the packages in your cache (your /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory), the following will then handle the downgrade:

downgrade cups libcups cups-filters

... You'll be given the opportunity to select the 2.2.11 version of cups & libcups, and the 1.25.1 version of cups-filters. After the downgrade, you'll be asked if you wish to add the packages to the IgnorePkg. I answered y to both.

(One simple way to remove this "hold" on the packages is by going to Add/Remove Software, that is to say pamac, Preferences > General tab > you'll see the "Ignore upgrades for:" list there where you can remove "holds" when it's appropriate to. .... OR you can manually edit the file /etc/pacman.conf, removing the two package names from the IgnorePkg = line.)

I will mark this as the solution. (I'm sure many would not consider downgrading a solution, but under the circumstances it's the solution for now.)

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you, downgrading these 3 packages also helped for me.
@philm Since multiple people have this problem, maybe you should downgraded these packages on the stable branch for everyone?

1 Like

Are there any news about it here?
It still doesn't work with current stable update, still have to use the dowgraded old packages to be able to print.

Another user on the forum seems to have found a method for getting it to work with the latest versions.

@Bleuzen, have you found a way to solve your problem?

I have not printed since this summer, during which it worked, on my different printers (a HP Photosmart-C3100-series and a RICOH-MP-C2503) and I tried again this fall. This time, it has not worked so I think that it must be linked with a update done between this summer and before the the update of the 14th November 2019. Reading this thread, I have downgraded cups-filters to 1.25.1-1 (from the Arch Linux Archive), cups and libcups to 2.2.11-2 as @rprpx in the above post advises. By doing this, I cannot see any difference, since these two printers seems to react in no way...

I have launched hp-doctor with my HP Printer and the interesting seems to be the following. They want me to install/reinstall or to find a compatible version of libidn, ghostscript, python-pyqt4, and pygtk but all of these are installed (just python-pyqt5 is installed instead of python-pyqt4 but I would think that it was already the case this summer where I could use my printer). Here some results of hp-doctor:

USB             Photosmart-C3100-series        Required        -        -        OK       Node:'/dev/bus/usb/003/002' Perm:'  root  lp rw- rw- rw- rw- r--'
Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'libidn' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'ghostscript' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'pygtk' package is missing/incompatible 
Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'xsane' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python2-notify' package is missing/incompatible

Should I install python-pyqt4 instead of python-pyqt5 or besides it?

Regarding the RICOH printer, I used a ethernet cable to be connected to this printer.

I have no idea what I can do. Should I upgrade again cups, libcups and cups-filters to their last version?

I do not see how the method cited by @lectrode in this last post above could help me (my two printers are already installed on my laptop).

Thank you in advance for your help. If someone has an idea, I would be grateful.

Yes, I found some kind of fix, more a workaround for now.

1. Use the latest packages on stable. No downgrades needed.

2. Copy the ppd file of your printer to some location where you can edit it (for example your home directory). Original PPDs are in /usr/share/ppd/HP/.
    In case it is compressed (filename ends with ".gz") you have to extract it to have the plain ".ppd" file.

3. Run
    cupstestppd <your ppd file>
    on it.
    This will show you some errors with the ppd file. Just delete the lines mentioned in the output of this command.
    You have to run the cupstestppd command multiple times to catch all errors. It shows only one faulty line per execution.
    Lines with just warnings are ok.

4. Setup up your printer again, but this time use your edited ppd file with the deleted lines.
    This did not work for me within hplip itself. I used the gnome printer settings (also works on KDE and other desktops), because this one also has the option to select a custom ppd to setup the printer.

5. Enjoy your now working printer :slight_smile:

I know, it's not really a fix, but it works for now.
Something has to be wrong with the ppds on HP's side I guess.

Thanks a lot @Bleuzen ! I will try. Do you think that I should do the same with the ppd of my Ricoh printer? I mean, now my 2 printers does not work so I am not sure it is just something in relation with HP... Thanks again!

Don't know. I only have the HP printer.
Well, give it a try.

@rprpx Do you still have this problem? Did my post solve it?
If so, please mark my answer as solution, so other people comming around here can find it faster.

Running cupstestppd seems to give no "FAIL" result as you nicely show me on your image in your post above but a "PASS", see below:

cupstestppd /home/hp-photosmart_c3100_series.ppd 
/home/hp-photosmart_c3100_series.ppd: PASS
        WARN    Size "Card3x5" should be the Adobe standard name "3x5".
        WARN    Size "Card3x5.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "79.73x130.53mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "Hagaki" should be the Adobe standard name "Postcard".
        WARN    Size "Hagaki.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "103.72x151.69mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "Hagaki.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "100.19x144.99mm".
        WARN    Size "Photo4x6" should be the Adobe standard name "4x6".
        WARN    Size "Photo4x6.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "105.13x155.93mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "A6.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "108.3x151.69mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "A6.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "104.78x144.99mm".
        WARN    Size "Photo5x7" should be the Adobe standard name "5x7".
        WARN    Size "Photo5x7.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "130.53x181.33mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "Card5x8" should be the Adobe standard name "5x8".
        WARN    Size "Card5x8.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "127x200.03mm".
        WARN    Size "Oufuku" should be the Adobe standard name "DoublePostcard".
        WARN    Size "Oufuku.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "151.69x203.55mmRotated".
        WARN    Size "Oufuku.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "144.99x200.03mmRotated".
        WARN    Size "A5.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "151.69x213.43mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "A5.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "148.17x206.73mm".
        WARN    Size "B5" should be the Adobe standard name "ISOB5".
        WARN    Size "B5.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "176.04x246.59mm".
        WARN    Size "JB5" should be the Adobe standard name "B5".
        WARN    Size "JB5.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "185.56x260.7mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "JB5.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "182.03x254mm".
        WARN    Size "Executive.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "184.15x263.53mm".
        WARN    Size "16k" should be "7,75x10,75".
        WARN    Size "Letter.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "219.43x282.93mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "Letter.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "215.9x276.23mm".
        WARN    Size "A4.FB" should be the Adobe standard name "213.43x300.57mm.Fullbleed".
        WARN    Size "A4.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "209.9x293.86mm".
        WARN    Size "ExecutiveJIS" should be the Adobe standard name "FanFoldGermanLegal".
        WARN    Size "FLSA" should be the Adobe standard name "FanFoldGermanLegal".
        WARN    Size "Legal.Duplex" should be the Adobe standard name "215.9x352.43mm".
        WARN    Size "CDDVD80" should be the Adobe standard name "83.96x83.96mm".
        WARN    Size "CDDVD120" should be the Adobe standard name "5x5".
        WARN    Size "EnvB5" should be the Adobe standard name "EnvISOB5".
        WARN    PCFileName longer than 8.3 in violation of PPD spec.
                REF: Pages 61-62, section 5.3.

Thanks again!

Hm, I'm sorry, in this case I don't really have a fix for you. On the ppd of my printer this gave some FAILs to me.

1. Have you updated all packages again and removed everything from IgnorePkg in pacman config?

2. How did you add / setup the printer? In HPLIP or in system printer settings? (for me it did only work in gnome printer settings, also try to select your copied ppd there during setup)

Yes, I have.

I unfortunately do not remember how I have done that. I can just figure out that I can not open hplip anymore, but I don't know why...

Launching cupstestppd for my other printer (RICOH) gave my a FAIL message:

cupstestppd /home/Ricoh-PDF_Printer-PDF.ppd 
/home/Ricoh-PDF_Printer-PDF.ppd: ÉCHEC
      **FAIL**  Unable to open PPD file - Bad CloseUI/JCLCloseUI on line 193

Removing the whole line 193 of this file (which is "*CloseUI: *InputSlot"), gives me this message:

ÉCHEC
      **FAIL**  Unable to open PPD file - OpenUI/JCLOpenUI sans CloseUI/JCLCloseUI préalable on line 195.
                REF: Pages 42-45, section 5.2.

Removing *InputSlot of this line, gave me the following error message in cupstestppd:

ÉCHEC
      **FAIL**  Unable to open PPD file - Bad CloseUI/JCLCloseUI on line 193.

Do someone has an idea of to solve this?
Thanks again.

You have to run cupstestppd multiple times and remove all FAIL lines until it outputs only warnings / PASS.

Also, you have to remove always the whole line, not only a part of it.

Try removing the printer in settings and re-add it in systems printer settings with your custom ppd selected.

Thanks a lot for your answer @Bleuzen.

Apparently, I have found a temporary solution for my RICOH printer by myself by downgrading Gutenprint from 5.3.3 to 5.3.1.

Indeed , if I have tried to print with it: I have seen this "job-printer-state-message": "The PPD version (5.3.1) is not compatible with Gutenprint 5.3.3. Please run '/usr/bin/cups-genppdupdate' as administrator. So I have launched sudo /usr/bin/cups-genppdupdate and the results are the following:

/etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-MP-C2503.ppd: no valid candidate for replacement.  Skipping
/etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-MP-C2503.ppd: please upgrade this PPD manually
Unable to retrieve PPD file for /etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-MP-C2503.ppd!
Failed to update any PPD files

I don't know where to upgrate manually this PPD (the PPD that I have found there dates from 2018 whereas Gutenprint 5.3.3 is present in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ since the 28th August 2019 - it should be since this new Gutenprint version that I cannot print anymore and it corresponds indeed to the last Gutenprint update of the 5th September, see here) so I have downgraded Gutenprint from 5.3.3 to 5.3.1 and I could print again with my RICOH printer!!

I don't know if there is more long-period available solution. Does it work for you @rprpx, @lectrode and @erichalfbe?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue of not being able to print on HP 3055 Laserjet after an update.
The following errors came up "Can't detect file type" and "Filter failed"

The solution was, cups-pdf was not installed, somehow cups-filters-driverless replaced my cups-filters after an update.

All I had to do was install cups-filters and cups-pdf and remove cups-filters-driverless.
Perhaps someone wiser knows why cups-filters-driverless automatically replaced the cups-filters on update.

1 Like

I too, am having a problem with a new HP 415 Wireless Deskjet Printer. My previous one (two months ago) worked fine with the previous version of Manjaro. This seems to be the problem in a nut shell!
' warning: manjaro linux distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
hp-doctor[5154]: info: :[01m'

So I'm having a problem setting up my printer. It's a HP Deskjet ink advantage 4675 and I'm not able to set it up properly. I'm coming from fedora and before I had no such issue.
I'm trying throw the settings menu to add the printer. It finds it but when i click add pops a message saying it failed to add the printer.
I'm trying throw the HPLIP app, it manages to add the printer but when I try to print a file but it never gets printed.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Hello Vir,

thank you for this hint. The same problem occurred with my HP Officejet Pro 8600 after updating to HPLIP 3.20. With your hint I could solve my problem.

Regards Thomas

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by