Problem with disc(DVD) mounting.

Screenshot_2020-04-22_16-12-52_cropped
Hi guys,

I found an old cd/dvd at my house and I inserted it in my laptop to find out its contents. The problem is that I cannot open it. It is visible under the "Devices" section but it won't mount. At some point it did mount but I could not access any file. They had a small lock icon. Judging from the contents, it must be a DVD since it had many different sort of files and folders. When I try ti mount the disc I get the aforementioned message.

I tried using some other discs which I found laying around at home and they worked just fine. They were CDs, containing only audio files. I tried using sudo mount /dev/sr0 /mntbut it had no effect either. The process could not complete. I waited for about 10 mins waiting to mount so I aborted it.

Moreover, I am not asked whether I want to take any action when I enter a disc into the laptop. This happened to the audio discs too.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Instead of
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt

you should try to use
mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt

I just tried that and I received the same message. Namely :
"mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error"

Then try

mount -t auto /dev/sr0 /mnt

is it the cd/dvd-Player or the this cd/DVD ? Have you checked a different DVD in the Player to make sure that the Problem is the Player or the DVD.

I tried but had the same results. I also followed @olli's advice. I was lucky to find another DVD laying around. The other DVD worked just fine. This leads me into thinking that the problem is with the first DVD. It is probably corrupt or excessively scratched.

Thank you guys for your help. It is much appreciated. I consider the problem resolved, hence I will close the topic.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by