Problem with GRUB after installing Manjaro

Here's what happened:

I have two hard drives in my computer ( I will refer to them as nvme0n1 and nvme1n1p1, since those are their device names ). On one harddrive, nvme1n1, I had installed Fedora as my main distro. I have used it for a few months.
Since I initially came from Manjaro, and greatly value the Arch ecosystem, I decided to install Manjaro alongside Fedora. I did, however, not want to split up the hard drive which Fedora -nvme1n1p1- was installed on, an decided to install Manjaro on my second drive, nvme0n1.

I downloaded Manjaro i3, since I am used to tiling window managers.
Since I did not want to change the boot order in my Bios every time I'd decide to boot Manjaro, I chose during the Calamares install to install the bootloader on the Master Boot Record of nvme1n1p1, the drive Fedora was installed on, so I could simply switch between the two distros. The install completed successfully.
At first glance, everything seemed to be alright in the grub boot menu. Both Manjaro and Fedora were available. Manjaro booted fine. Fedora, however, didn't.

When trying to boot into Fedora, I got the following message: "error: file '/boot/initramfs-4.19.2-300.fc29.x86_64.img' not found."

Since I can choose which version of Fedora I'd like to boot (kernel-wise) under "Advanced Options for Fedora", I tried to boot the "Rescue" version, which worked. It takes ages to boot the rescue version, though.

What exactly is wrong? Since I can verify that the OS is completely fine by booting into it in rescue mode, it must be a misconfiguration of grub, right?
Is there a way to fix this manually?

I'd appreciate any guidance :sweat_smile:

Have you waded through any of these 50+ postings on grub problems?

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=grub%20problem

If you want help you should also consider posting information about your setup. You can use
inxi -F

There is the short way of solving this and the long way. I would suggest the short, simple and more logical (to me). Fedora users and experts would know better what is wrong with your failed boot to a Fedora installation, the errors should have better meaning for them, just like Manjaro users/experts would know about a failed boot to Manjaro. You should contact Fedora forum or other help site and ask to get some idea.
Then bring us any advise or info they give you and we can help with your overall system to work best.
The long way would be to provide a lot of relevant info about your system and your way you have installed and booted, so after a lot of assumptions clear out we can start guessing for a solution. This will take longer, wasting time from all (including yourself).. :wink:

An educated guess would be that Fedora 's LVM installation, Fedora 's Grub options/CMDLINE and kernel modules are messing with Manjaro 's.
It would be better if you haven't installed Manjaro Grub on Fedora's disk, but on the same as Manjaro installation, so you could have both Grubs(:upside_down_face:) active and being able to select your best behaving as permanent from your BIOS settings.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the sensible recommendations, I appreciate them! :slight_smile:

I did, however, choose the "easy way out", by simply backing up my system, including a list of installed packages and such, and then nuking the hard-drives to start from scratch :man_shrugging:

While this isn't a satisfactory solution to the actual problem, the situation is now fine for me and I can continue working. I have freshly reinstalled Fedora and Manjaro, this time with their respective bootloaders on separate drives.

Again, thank you all for your time :+1:

@ksr I almost always up end doing it 'your' way. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by