Problems with firefox 58 after update, system freezes after opening a tab

I updated my manjaro system (sudo pacman -Syyu), which included firefox update (time: just now). After update, firefox doesn't work properly, after opening a new tab, the whole system freezes and there is nothing that I can do other than press power button.

System details:

1. Kernel: 4.15.0-1-MANJARO x86_64
  2. Firefox: 58.0-1

Is it possible to revert back to old firefox to fix the issue or should I wait for another update which can fix this problem?

Thank you !

Would you please attach some logs? I'm using 58.0.0 and 58.0.1 with flatpak from their day of release and they're working fine for me.

At first be sure you have up to date mirrors before perform upgrade:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Yes, it is possible if you have old firefox package in cache directory. i.e i have firefox-57.0.4 in cache, to install it:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/firefox-57.0.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
1 Like

One does not simply downgrade security relevant components like browsers. Especially not with a lot of drive-by attacks on website currently being possible.

FF 58 again contains a lot of security fixes.

2 Likes

I'm sorry, how do I get logs? When using firefox, the whole computer stops working (though not always, but when it stops, the whole computer hangs)

Thanks for the info, I'll update my mirrors from next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Run timeout --kill-after=10s 10s firefox >>~/firefox.log 2>&1. Also try to temporarily move your profile from .mozilla to .mozilla_old.

See also:

journalctl -k --since=today
And then you check what was the deal?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by