Proposed changes to wiki submission guidelines

Given the size of our wiki, it is ludicrous the amount of duplicate and overlapping content we have.
I think we should make some guideline changes to try to lessen this.

Here are the current guidelines:

Do

Write in plain language
Provide examples
Provide simple and clear explanations
Break up complex guides into simple steps
Use screen-shots where possible
Keep in mind that the wiki is intended for absolute beginners
Try to keep the general layout and formatting of your articles consistent with the others
Write in your own style - it makes life a bit more interesting!
Take your time - quality over quantity

Don't

Rip off other wikis or articles - EVER - even if your work is based on them. There's always a way to improve and elaborate
Create articles that basically just link to other wikis and/or articles. At a push, it is OK to create introductory articles that link elsewhere if necessary. But the article itself must still be substantive and provide a good foundation for new users to start with
Write lazy, slap-dash crap. It helps no-one and reflects badly on all concerned, including those who have put in a lot of hard work. This includes not putting personal opinion as fact.
Get possessive over your content. This is a collaborative effort, and others are entitled to make tweaks and changes here and there, just as you are.
Delete content without first contacting the Wiki Admin for permission.
Undertake any major revisions or re-structuring without first contacting the Wiki Admin for permission.
Write insulting, derogatory, or libellous claims against other organisations or people
Submit copyrighted content

I would propose we change this to the following:

Do

Write in plain language
Provide examples
Provide simple and clear explanations
Break up complex guides into simple steps
Check for existing articles which can be added to before creating a new article
Link to existing content instead of duplicating content whenever possible
Use screen-shots where possible
Keep in mind that the wiki is intended for absolute beginners
Try to keep the general layout and formatting of your articles consistent with the others
Take your time - quality over quantity

Don't

Rip off other wikis or articles - EVER - even if your work is based on them. There's always a way to improve and elaborate
Create articles that only link to other wikis and/or articles. The article itself must be substantive and provide a good foundation for new users to start with
Copy articles and use them as a basis to create new articles with overlapping contents
Write lazy, slap-dash crap. It helps no-one and reflects badly on all concerned, including those who have put in a lot of hard work. This includes not putting personal opinion as fact.
Get possessive over your content. This is a collaborative effort, and others are entitled to make tweaks and changes here and there, just as you are.
Delete content without first contacting the Wiki Admin for permission.
Undertake any major revisions or re-structuring without first contacting the Wiki Admin for permission.
Write insulting, derogatory, or libellous claims against other organisations or people
Submit copyrighted content

Anyone opposed?

2 Likes

Looks fine to me.

For the lazy;

Added to 'Dos':

Check for existing articles which can be added to before creating a new article
Link to existing content instead of duplicating content whenever possible

Removed from 'Dos':

Write in your own style - it makes life a bit more interesting!

Added to 'Donts':

Copy articles and use them as a basis to create new articles with overlapping contents

Revised (to) in 'Donts':

Create articles that only link to other wikis and/or articles. The article itself must be substantive and provide a good foundation for new users to start with
2 Likes

Glad to see this wiki being a bit more alive again. It is good to have one centralized documentation. I hope it will be regularly updated in long term.

Just some warnings:

This article violate this rule. It is pretty much a copy-pasta from Arch Linux wiki.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacnew_and_Pacsave_Files
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

As for this article, it is quoting the Arch Linux wiki directly in the beginning, although it is clearly written that it is taken directly from it.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=System_Maintenance
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported

Sadly, that is one of the existing rules.

Thanks for pointing those out. I will put those on my list to update when I get to those sections if nobody addresses it before I get there.

I am trying to be somewhat methodical so I miss as little as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by