Python programs don't work

So at any program with python it gives me this error:
I don't really know how I managed to fu*k it up like that. Yesterday I tried to install selenium and it gave me that error when I tried to import it. Now I can't even Backup my files. Everything else works but I am sure there is more programs which don't work. I also remember that I tried to reinstall pip after it did not work.(It still doesn't)
I don't know what I should do, as I'm pretty "new" to Manjaro (1 1/2 week).
Thank you all in advance!

Traceback (most recent call last):
** File "/usr/bin/pip3", line 11, in **
** load_entry_point('pip==20.0.2', 'console_scripts', 'pip3')()**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/main.py", line 75, in main**
** return command.main(cmd_args)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/base_command.py", line 105, in main**
** return self._main(args)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/base_command.py", line 224, in _main**
** self.handle_pip_version_check(options)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/req_command.py", line 143, in handle_pip_version_check**
** session = self._build_session(**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/req_command.py", line 84, in _build_session**
** session = PipSession(**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/network/session.py", line 241, in init**
** self.headers["User-Agent"] = user_agent()**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_internal/network/session.py", line 132, in user_agent**
** zip(["name", "version", "id"], distro.linux_distribution()),**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distro.py", line 122, in linux_distribution**
** return _distro.linux_distribution(full_distribution_name)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distro.py", line 677, in linux_distribution**
** self.version(),**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distro.py", line 737, in version**
** self.lsb_release_attr('release'),**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distro.py", line 899, in lsb_release_attr**
** return self._lsb_release_info.get(attribute, '')**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distro.py", line 552, in get**
** ret = obj.dict[self._fname] = self._f(obj)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distro.py", line 1012, in _lsb_release_info**
** stdout = subprocess.check_output(cmd, stderr=devnull)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 411, in check_output**
** return run(popenargs, stdout=PIPE, timeout=timeout, check=True,*
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/run/init.py", line 145, in new**
** process = cls.create_process(command, stdin, cwd=cwd, env=env, shell=shell)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/run/init.py", line 121, in create_process**
** shlex.split(command),**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/shlex.py", line 311, in split**
** return list(lex)**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/shlex.py", line 300, in next**
** token = self.get_token()**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/shlex.py", line 109, in get_token**
** raw = self.read_token()**
** File "/usr/lib/python3.8/shlex.py", line 140, in read_token**
** nextchar = self.instream.read(1)**
AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'read'

It impossible to know or even guess upon.

Reinstall - and don't repeat the mistakes.

Some of the advise to developers - also apply to ordinary users - especially the section on python - but also nodejs may present issues if it is not handled correctly.

Thanks for your answer, reinstall my whole Manjaro KDE?

You have tried several things - maybe even things you have not mentioned in your initial post - and this creates an xy problem.

With such issues it is impossible to provide any meaningful advise.

The only advise is to reinstall Manjaro - unless you are the problem solving type - in which case you will know how to backtrace what you did - reverting the steps one by one - until you reach the root cause - at which point you will have solved your issue.

Members of the community cannot possibly help you with that.

Which brings me to the advise - reinstall Manjaro - learn from the mistake - don't repeat it.

Ok, I will do that and try to not make any of those mistakes again.
Thank you really a lot for putting that much time into your answers! That‘s really nice.
Have a great day!

I cannot count the number of times I have messed up my system - and reinstalled it.

I have done it so many times I devised - for a lack of a better word - a protocol for it.

If I find myself at a dead end I can reinstall and have my settings/data/documents etc. back in 10-15 minutes.

It takes time to setup - but the time spent provides valuable insight in the inner workings of a Manjaro Linux system

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by