Qt configuration in GNOME edition is lacking in many ways

It's pointless to set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb. Qt currently automatically avoids using Wayland on Gnome by default:

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.

But yeah, some users like myself would love to be able to use Wayland as much as possible, but this would require Qt core to up its game in window decorations: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-63969

I believe this kind of changes should be documented in the upgrade notes (I'm on testing branch). It's very confusing for the user when they get an orphaned qt5ct package, and if they remove the orphaned package, it'd break their system. There should be instructions on what to change.

I understand that a rolling release can't "roll" everything, but IMO more effort could be made to help the users keep up with manual changes they'd need to make to have the most up-to-date / supported / recommended setup possible.

1 Like

Like this ?

1 Like

Hello you all! I saw the message after updating my system. But it isn't clear enough for me what to do (I suppose the message assumes we have certain knowledge already).

The message is:
==> We have switched into qgnomeplatform instead qt5ct so now
    -> qt5ct
    -> qt5-styleplugins
    are marked as orphans. If you want you can continue to use this two packages but
    if you want use qgnomeplatform engine you need to modify your /etc/environment
    with this changes:
    remove or comment this:
    -> QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
    add:
    -> QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
    -> QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gnome
    -> QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=kvantum
    This is all

So I went ahead and deleted the orphan packages:

sudo pacman -Rsun qt5ct qt5-styleplugins

And I see this in /etc/environment:

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"

Should I leave that alone, considering that I deleted qt5ct? This is the part that isn't clear.

1 Like

Disregard my last reply. You need to edit /etc/environment as mentioned in the instructions.

Do not delete qt5ct though. It is the only way (that I know of) to choose the fonts of some qt applications in GNOME: Help with correcting font issue in Plasma/Qgis combination
Cheers,

^ That's what I have. What should it be? I'm a total newb here. Should I re-install things to get default files somehow, instead of trying to make manual edits?

According to the latest guidelines I have seen, you should rather have (if using gnome):

QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="gnome"
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE="kvantum"

But this is linux. It is a matter of choice, as indicated in:

1 Like

Hi guys, has anyone taken a look at my point 3 above (regarding https://github.com/tsujan/Kvantum/issues/399#issuecomment-502512707)? Seems to be an easy fix for some issues with the theme.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by