Question about design choices for Gnome

Hello everyone. I’ve been using Manjaro for a short while now and am wondering about the reason behind some of the design choices of the default Gnome installation. Just to be sure, this post isn’t meant as criticism, it’s just my curiosity.
Also, I’m new to this forum and not quite sure where to post this so I thought the newbie corner is as good a place as any :face_with_monocle:

I love Gnome shell a lot. It’s a modern DE designed to get out of your way and be mainly keyboard driven. It’s pretty like KDE and (loosely) tiled like i3 but with the option to still click around if you would want to :sunglasses:

I recently did a fresh install of Manjaro after experimenting a bit with QubesOS, and I noticed that someone tried to really emulate the XFCE experience with the default Gnome settings. Dash to dock, the application menu and the presence of the minimise and maximise buttons are some examples. It doesn’t seem to fit in the workflow for which Gnome was intended imho. So I was curious as to why these design choices were made. (Reminder: this is no criticism)

I'm not the maintainer of the Gnome edition, but these are my thoughts.

I think the idea is to not make it to different of a workflow for people coming from Windows. Remember, Gnome got official status, so it's one of the 3 primary editions new people will try out.
To keep people from going back to Windows, it has to look familiar enough for them to stay and try it out.

It could also just be personal preference from the maintainer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by