Question about dual-booting

Hello,
It's my first post here :grinning:
Soon, I'll get a new laptop with Ryzen 5 2500U and single 256 GB SSD. I want to shrink Windows' partition and install Manjaro on the new one. I read that some people had problems with dual-booting any Linux with Windows, because Windows would wreck their Linux installations after updates. I also read that for some people, running Windows (with updates) and Linux has never been problematic. So my question is - what's the best solution to dual-boot? I know that disabling Windows Update service doesn't actually stop it, it restarts and installs updates anyways. Maybe disabling WiFi would be enough (I wouldn't like to do this though). I need to dual-boot because I want to work on Linux and use some programs in Windows that aren't available on Linux (like Photoshop or some special programs eg. SharpCap). Have you ever encountered any problem with your Linux installation after updating Windows?

Thank you

as far as i know this happened only with 1607 update of windows (but do a bit of research to be safe)

1.Install both seperately on different hard drives
2. just install them in uefi modes and create separate efi partition.
Use bios boot options to change os
1st will definitely not make trouble
2nd I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to install this on separate drives, this laptop comes with only one SSD :slightly_frowning_face:

The second option seems to be interesting, I'll look into it, thank you

If you have DVD drive then remove that and add another ssd

Nope, it'll be an ultrabook, without a DVD drive bay

No m.2 drive also???

Thanks

I don't think so. Anyways, I wouldn't like to void a warranty on a brand new laptop :sweat_smile:

Increasing ram ssd doesn't void warranty afaik

A lot of information can be found in this post

It is also possible to run Windows in VirtualBox. That is - if you are not requiring 3D accelerated graphics.

For blocking Microsoft you would need to block a lot - I mean a lot of ips and hosts

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/so-what-m-broke-for-you-today-windows-10-1803/46238/21?u=fhdk

1 Like

Thank you, that's helpful!

You mentioned running Windows on a VM - would some specialized hardware be able to work on eg. Virtualbox? By specialized hardware I mean CMOS cameras for astronomy etc.

If you are connecting the devices through USB then using the VirtualBox Extension Pack will be able to pass the hardware on to the virtual machine.

1 Like

Thank you for help :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by