Questions from someone considering Manjaro

1. Arch officially supports only Systemd. That stops no one.
  2. Pulseaudio is only installed by default in DEs that require it. However, the sound-server can be re-configured. JACK is certainly available.
  3. Yes. Manjaro offers multiple kernels by default.
  4. BitWig Studio v2 is availble in the AUR (Arch User Repository).

Blah, bah..

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. Dunno. I'm presently using Intel. Search the forum.
  4. Yes.
  5. Easy Peasy.

Regards

1 Like

I'm not sure about all your questions, but I'll try to answer what I can:

Yes, it's based on arch, and AFAIK arch did transition to systemd a while ago. At any rate, manjaro does use systemd, but we also have an openrc-based flavour for people who'd rather have a more traditional init system. Do note that I never used the openrc flavour and don't even know if it's actively mantained anymore.

At least on the XFCE flavour it's there by default, never tried removing it. We do have a netinstall flavour with only the bare minimum on it, not sure if that already comes with pulse too, but I'd doubt it.

Yup, and we have custom tools to simplify installation and mantainance of multiple kernels(at least those in the repos). And we do have RT kernels that work great in the official repos too.

Not sure about your particular card, but if it works on the same 375.x drivers mine does then it should be terribly simple.

IIRC at least on the XFCE version it comes pre-installed. But it shouldn't be much harder than manually installing the package on other flavours.

There is a great tutorial on this:

2 Likes

No, a single command or a few clicks (<5) will get it installed.

If you use the default install, Steam comes pre-installed. Otherwise, a single command will do it.
For example: pacman -S steam-manjaro

That is the most intelligent way I have seen - kudos :+1:

1 Like

It is actually quite easy, or you can make it very easy with AUR.
I use to compile linux-ck kernel and optimize it for my CPU AMD Jaguar.[1] There are however already some optimized ready-to-install kernel available like linux-ck-skylake which would suit your CPU. http://repo-ck.com/

There are some realtime kernels available from Manjaro repos (Manjaro realtime kernels)

eugen@mjaro ~> mhwd-kernel -l
available kernels:
   * linux310
   * linux312
   * linux316
   * linux318
   * linux41
   * linux410
   * linux44
   * linux48
   * linux49
   * linux-rt-lts-manjaro
   * linux-rt-manjaro
Repository      : community
Name            : linux-rt-manjaro
Version         : 4.9.20_rt16-1
Description     : The Linux-rt kernel and modules
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://www.kernel.org/
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : linux=4.9.20_rt16
Depends On      : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=0.7
Optional Deps   : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
Required By     : amdgpu-experimental  linux-rt-manjaro-acpi_call  linux-rt-manjaro-bbswitch
                  linux-rt-manjaro-broadcom-wl  linux-rt-manjaro-catalyst
                  linux-rt-manjaro-ndiswrapper  linux-rt-manjaro-nvidia
                  linux-rt-manjaro-nvidia-304xx  linux-rt-manjaro-r8168
                  linux-rt-manjaro-rt3562sta  linux-rt-manjaro-tp_smapi
                  linux-rt-manjaro-vhba-module  linux-rt-manjaro-virtualbox-guest-modules
                  linux-rt-manjaro-virtualbox-host-modules  manjaro-system
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 62.45 MiB
Installed Size  : 94.20 MiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Wed 05 Apr 2017 04:06:23 AM CEST
MD5 Sum         : 37e020a5399e0ea772b8e8b4ceee4a26
SHA-256 Sum     : 7f7c7593239db144ca1c43c0c2070598ce1014209246a7e8cccdf32d82ece1f2
Signatures      : DAD3B211663CA268
Repository      : community
Name            : linux-rt-lts-manjaro
Version         : 4.4.60_rt73-1
Description     : The Linux-rt-lts kernel and modules
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://www.kernel.org/
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : linux=4.4.60_rt73
Depends On      : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=0.7
Optional Deps   : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
Required By     : linux-rt-lts-manjaro-acpi_call  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-bbswitch
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-broadcom-wl  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-catalyst
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-ndiswrapper  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-nvidia
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-nvidia-304xx  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-open-vm-tools-modules
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-r8168  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-rt3562sta
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-tp_smapi  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-vhba-module
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-virtualbox-guest-modules
                  linux-rt-lts-manjaro-virtualbox-host-modules  manjaro-system
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 58.44 MiB
Installed Size  : 80.72 MiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Tue 11 Apr 2017 10:20:50 PM CEST
MD5 Sum         : 84f7b1f6e43a448e4d2b75b866695eac
SHA-256 Sum     : d7a4e90b2193162d30283b049542806937e19f686607c6e9b1c3abdd6d550447
Signatures      : DAD3B211663CA268

But you can complile your own linux-rt from AUR, and set -march=native -mtune=native in /etc/makepkg.conf to get it optimized for your architecture

CFLAGS="-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong"
2 Likes

[quote="ZophiasDad, post:1, topic:22679"]1. does your installer allow you to manually set up your HD's?[/quote]...been answered - yes.

[quote="ZophiasDad, post:1, topic:22679"] If so what partitioning tool is used? [/quote]I believe parted(libparted) is backend which it accesses via use of KPMcore. The front-end is from the installer design ...so not same as one might have seen before; similar of course to all such tools but unique to Calamares. It is pretty basic; not as robust as KPM(KDE Partition Mangler) or GParted.

[quote="ZophiasDad, post:1, topic:22679"]If you have your HD pre configured does the installer allow you to use your setup or do you need to do this inside the installer?[/quote]That's kinda loaded. The installer uses your setup meaning that it reads all connected disk drives and presents the list with a default install selection that it guesses is where one wants to install Manjaro.
The guess is almost always wrong of course, unless you are using a blank drive then it is always correct, :slight_smile:. That is the state of all partitioning tools; none I know of have learned to read mind of the $USER.

So one must normally tell it which partition to use or create a new partition and tell it to use it for the ML install.
Whether new partition or reusing a current partition, the chosen partition(s) must have a filesystem(fs) installed and then formatted.

ALL data will be irrevocably* lost on that partition when it is formatted.

Note that unlike some other OS, Linux can be installed on any primary or logical partition; i.e., it does not have to be a primary partition.

In addition one must specify where the bootloader gets installed as it always gets that wrong too. There is a list of choices so choose the correct one for one's desired setup.
Normally one wants it on the same drive (not partition) MBR where ML will be installed but there are valid reasons for choosing install to root partition or even some other partition or drive.

One needs to be careful. If one tells it to format and install to a partition it will do it. Choose unwisely and one could easily format over data one wants to keep. ...

If there are any doubts or special needs for the partitioning then perform it using a familiar tool, before beginning the install process. During the install just point Calamares to the desired pre-formatted/setup partition during that phase of the install. Also check that the bootloader will be installed to desired location.

Calamares makes the installation of Arch/Manjaro Linux pretty easy. One just needs to pay attention and check actions before clicking that mouse button to perform the function.

HTH ...

edit:
*irrevocably => not quite. These days with enough luck, time and money the data can almost always be retrieved from partitions that have been simply formatted. Fully formatted and/or written-over parttions present more of challenge so require more luck, money and time to piece it together.

Forum kindly sponsored by