Realtek rtl8821ce 802.11ac WIFI PROBLEM

I have not yet started the installation of Manjaro 18.0.3 because I noticed that in the live usb the wifi network card does not work, maybe a driver problem, I don't know.
I use this computer for university, so before formatting and switching from windows to linux I have to be 100% sure that everything works, especially the wifi, do any of you know how I can solve it? thank you

Ah, I have already done a search on the web but I didn't understand anything :confused:

Lots of threads about this device: https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=rtl8821ce

If you still can't find an answer post back and someone will help.

I've already read them but I can't apply any of the methods because I don't have an ethernet cable, is there another way to install the packages offline?

however I don't understand "manjaro, enjoy the simplicity", where is simplicity?

Yes. Download them, transfer them, install them.

I don't understand.

You expect every piece of hardware ever made to work perfectly on every Linux distribution when the manufacturers only write drivers for Windows?

If you want simplicity, buy a $1 Ethernet cable. Also get a $5 USB flash drive.

Splash out the $6 and see how much easier life is.

I used Ubuntu and Debian before without problems... mine is not meant to be an offense, I just believe that the word simplicity is wrong, the system still needs to be improved before it can be defined as simple.

With this laptop? You only mentioned Windows before:

If something works perfectly for 90% of people, is it simple? There are always edge-cases where things don't work. Always. For everything.

If you're going to get caught up on semantics then this isn't going to be productive.

mhhh, at least can you tell me where I can download the packages? so I see if I can get it started.
As for debian and ubuntu, I downloaded their iso a little while ago and tried the live usb system to try to understand this wifi problem. I also have experience with debian and ubuntu because I used them in the past.
However I don't understand your attitude jonathon, you can't react bad to every little criticism, you make people run away to other distro.

Which ones?

So did it work with Ubuntu?

There are different kinds of criticism.

Criticism based on semantics is not helpful, and I'm a little tired of people signing up to complain that Manjaro isn't perfect.

Yes. We know. Manjaro isn't MS Windows. Manjaro isn't a multi-billion-dollar multinational. Manjaro isn't Ubuntu. Manjaro isn't funded by a billionaire and doesn't employ thousands of people.

Keep your expectations in check. Please.

1 Like

If it worked with Ubuntu, use Ubuntu.

At this point I prefer to wait for someone else to answer to help me, luckily people are not all bad like you.
Greetings from Italy

You're welcome.

Hello,

Might be late to the party, but have you done a search? here is one I found

This is a little outdated as I wrote it a while ago. Use yay rather than yaourt for AUR installs, or simply use pamac if you want to use a GUI installer.

Realtek rtl8821ce DKMS driver install:

You may have already tried unsuccessfully to install your Realtek rtl8821ce drivers.

If you have installed the linux-headers, or any other rtl8821ce driver packages previously, please uninstall them before proceeding.

If you have installed any other DKMS packages related to rtl8821ce, then uninstall them completely as well.

See the end section "Uninstalling A Non-Functioning Driver".

After uninstalling all related rtl8821ce driver, header, or dkms packages, perform the following steps.

Ensure your Manjaro installation is fully up to date with this terminal command:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Once the command has finished running, reboot the computer.

Installing the required linux headers:

You must install the required linuxXXX-headers package before installing the rtl8821ce drivers.

Install the linux headers package corresponding to your kernel version number.

You can find your kernel version by entering the following command in the terminal:

uname -r

The output will be similar to this:

4.14.36-1-MANJARO

Substitute the first 3 digits returned for "XXX" in the following command:

sudo pacman -S linuxXXX-headers

Example of the command to run:

sudo pacman -S linux414-headers

If you are using an older kernel version the package name may only contain 2 numbers.

You can search for "linux-headers" in your graphical package installer to find the correct package that matches your kernel version.

You can use the terminal (preferred), Octopi or Pamac to install the linux headers package.

If you find the above directions too confusing to install the linux headers, then you can simply use the command below.

This command will automatically install the linux-headers for the currently running kernel:

sudo pacman -S linux$(uname -r| grep -o -E '[0-9]+' | head -n 2 | sed 'N;s/\n//')-headers

It is also possible to install all the required linux-headers packages for all installed kernels with one command. If you would rather use one command to install all the linux-headers packages automatically, use the following command (courtesy of @AgentS):

sudo pacman -S $(ls /boot | awk -F "-" '/^linux/ { print $1"-headers" }')

Once the linux headers package installation is complete:

Reboot.

Installing the rtl8821ce-dkms-git driver:

The rtl8821ce driver may not install correctly if the USB adapter is plugged-in before the driver is installed.

Do not insert the rtl8821ce WiFi dongle into any USB port until the driver installation is complete.

Before installing the drivers we will install the required dependencies.

This step is not normally required, but some DKMS driver versions may not install properly (when using some AUR helpers) if they are not installed first.

Install with the following command:

sudo pacman -S bc dkms git 

You can install the "rtl8821ce-dkms-git" driver package using yaourt, pamac, octopi, or any other AUR helper.

However, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the WiFi drivers via the terminal.

If you don’t have an AUR helper installed, then install one such as yaourt with the following command:

sudo pacman -S base-devel yaourt --needed

Then Install the rtl8821ce-dkms-git driver package.

yaourt -S rtl8821ce-dkms-git --noconfirm

To change all network adapters status to unblocked, enter the following in terminal.

sudo rfkill unblock all

Power down the computer.

Plug in your USB network adapter directly into the computer, (not through a USB hub).

The rtl8821ce adapter has been reported to sometimes work better over USB 2.

Try plugging the adapter into a USB 2 port to start with.

Unplug your wired network LAN cable prior to powering up the computer.

Restart the computer, and test if your connection is now working.

If the WiFi connection has not been automatically detected continue with the following steps.

Next we want to ensure your adapter is loaded into the kernel and its status is "up".

Load the driver module:

sudo modprobe 8821ce

If the WiFi connection is still not detected, continue with the following steps.

Run the following command to find your network adapter info:

inxi -n

Is your wireless network adapters status reported as "up" in the output of the "inxi -n" command.

If not, substitute your adapters ID for "wlan0" in the command below:

sudo ip link set "wlan0" up

Example: substitute your adapters ID in the command below, (and run it):

sudo ip link set wlp3s0 up

Then run:

sudo rfkill unblock all

Network manager may need to be restarted to properly detect your adapter.

Enter the following command in the terminal:

sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager; sleep 5; sudo systemctl start NetworkManager 

If your adapter is still not working, enter

sudo depmod -a
sudo mkinitcpio -P

If still not working, then unplug the wireless network adapter from the USB port.

Then, power down the computer.

Once the computer is off, plug the WiFi dongle into a different USB port.

Ensure the WiFi dongle is attached directly to the computer, (not through a USB hub).

If the WiFi was on a USB 2 port initially, then switch it to a USB 3 port, (& vice versa if an alternative is available).

Restart.

If your connection is still not working then you will need to post diagnostic outputs on the forum.

Enter the following commands individually in the terminal, and post the command output on the forum:

lsmod
sudo rfkill list all
dkms status
inxi -Fxxxz
journalctl -b -1 | grep 8821ce
find /etc/modprobe.d -type f -name "*.conf" -print -execdir cat '{}' \; -execdir echo \;
pacman -Qsq linux | grep linux | grep -v -E '(arch|util|sys|api|firmware)'

Please post the input/outputs of all the above commands, (as well as any error messages returned during the installation process).

Uninstalling A Non-Functioning Driver:

Ensure your Ethernet connection is working properly before uninstalling a problematic WiFi driver.

First, uninstall all unneeded linux headers packages from your system,(substute your kernel number):

sudo pacman -Rns linux414-headers

Remove any other linuxXXX-headers packages that were installed for other kernel versions as well.

If you would rather use one command to uninstall all the linux-headers packages automatically, use the following command (courtesy of @AgentS):

sudo pacman -R $(ls /boot | awk -F "-" '/^linux/ { print $1"-headers" }')

Now we begin the process of completely uninstalling any improperly installed drivers.

Unload the module of the driver you want to uninstall:

sudo rmmod 8821ce

Uninstall the non-functioning driver package:

sudo pacman -Rns rtl8821au-dkms-git

Substitute the driver you installed in the above command in place of "rtl8821ce-dkms-git" (if you installed a different driver version).

Uninstall the dkms package if it is still installed:

sudo pacman -Rns dkms

Unloading the wifi modules is not always successful with an rmmod command. Rebooting is the surest way to ensure the uninstalled driver modules are removed.

Reboot.

Then continue following the directions in the "Installing the required linux headers" and "Installing the rtl8821ce-dkms-git driver" sections (from the beginning).

2 Likes

That's a great guide.

There's just one problem. He does not have internet on the device in question. :slight_smile:

That's what phone tethering is for. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by