Reinstalling Manjaro to fix boot issues

A recent Manjaro update completely broke my system. Now, instead of booting into Manjaro, it just shows a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I've exhausted any attempts to fix this -- it looks to be impossible at this point. Instead, I just want to reinstall Manjaro from scratch from a bootable USB on a dual-boot UEFI system with Windows 10 and GPT. However, the Manjaro Linux Installer is making partitioning difficult by being incapable of automating this process. On the "Partitions" section, the only option it's giving me is "Manual Partitioning". No other options are given.

Can someone give me the step-by-step process on how I can safely wipe out the existing Manjaro installation and re-install into the same partition (/dev/sda4), without doing any damage to Windows 10 or any files stored on any other drives/partitions.

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-03%2018-45-16

Great tutorial by @linux-aarhus [HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step

I appreciate the link, but the instructions given are not matching with my current system setup. Specifically, I do not intend to create multiple additional partitions (I already have one) or mess around with the boot manager (I already have GRUB installed and working fine). I think I could use something more tailor-made for my specific scenario.

Well you need to tailor it to your own needs.

If you have the partitions ready then you just mount them in the installer. If you have UEFI system mount the Windows UEFI/Boot partition in the installer to /boot/efi (dont format it) and put the BOOT and ESP flags for it

2 Likes

Select sda1 as EFI (do NOT format) and sda4 as / (this should be formatted to ext4), then install.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by