Remove Manjaro, Install windows 7, Add Manjaro as dual Boot

wiped, re-formated with gparted to NTSF, re-burned with woeusb.......same result! load failure

my system has two partitions, Manjaro is on an ext4 file system and my other is fat32

No, that's GRUB.

As far as booting the Windows ISO from GRUB, that is possible though I've never done it.. The Manjaro on a Stick Tutorial also has a section about having its Grub boot ISOs.

It's what I did to install Windows 10.

I downloaded a 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft, used WoeUSB to write it to a USB drive, and used the 7 Pro key on the sticker on my PC when prompted for a key.

Before posting, I did some reading up and some systems can be finicky with NTFS installation media and that using exfat or fat32 is recommended. I'd try the FAT option in WoeUSB

You might want to consider wiping the disk with disk dump and creating a new GPT table in GParted prior to flashing with WoeUSB.
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4M status=progress

I'm just guessing /dev/sdb based on that GParted screenshot. Replace /dev/sdb with your actual USB drive. Why is /dev/sdb2 labeled UEFI_NTFS with a FAT16 file system? Seems odd.

That's what woesusb creates when writing to NFTS , the Fat16 part contains a few files like bottmgr.efi. i think it used to access the NTFS part if your system is set up in uefi mode. Either way it doesn't work. i've also tried writing to fat32 , that didn't work either, just went straight through to grub. I haven't wiped as you suggested. i will try that tomorrow. i did get a fresh download in case the previous one was corrupt, haven't tried that yet.

If that's not my BIOS then how do i access it?

I'd say that you should use 'msdos' as partition table, but otherwise I agree that you should delete all partitions before using woeusb.

Check instructions from the motherboard's manufacturer, but usually you have to press F2 just after you started the computer. Usually you will see a motherboard logo or a screen where the computer checks the installed RAM. It happens just before GRUB, which is the 2nd photo in your post above.

What we are trying to achieve here is to
A) set correct boot order in BIOS, which I assumed you had done already.
B) create a bootable Windows USB stick (7 or 10, whatever)

Pretty much what @TheApologist said. Other keys to try are Esc, Del, & F12.

I also assumed that you had set it to boot from USB in the BIOS.

What kind of system is it?

HAHA well i did have my suspicions that it wasn't the BIOS menu but that's what came up when i was pressing f12......f2 did't do anything. when i googled manjaro BIOS, there are lots of images that show my GRUB screen or similar. I wrongly assumed that it must be what it looks like on linux( i also had suspicions because i previously assumed BIOS was on the hardware and loads pre-OS .

But as i could change the boot order through terminal i didn't think it really mattered.
Anyway it turns out it's Fn+F2 to access BIOS. it's a lenovo flex

I will now wipe the drive as you have suggested and try again!!

OK so i've have now been messing around with the bios options with both the Fat and the NTFS versions of the iso.

Create ISO in fat32=

UEFI mode/secure boot (windows 8 setting from bios) =
"secure boot message: image failed to verify with ACCESS DENIED press any key to continue."
<<<<disable secure boot/stay in uefi mode =
nothing! goes straight through to GRUB, that's with having USB as first boot option and with choosing USB manually in boot menu.

Legacy mode/try legacy first/then try UEFI first give same result =
nothing! goes straight through to GRUB, that's with having USB as first boot option and with choosing USB manually in boot menu.

Create ISO in fat32=

UEFI mode/secure boot (windows 8 setting from bios) =
"secure boot message: image failed to verify with ACCESS DENIED press any key to continue."
<<<<disable secure boot, stay in uefi mode/and legacy mode/all options =
[FAIL] Load failure: [3] Unsupported press any key to exit

so basically with either Fat/NTFS secure boot blocks it from accessing image. Without secure boot or in legacy mode the fat does nothing, is not even recognised and the NTFS version fails is unsupported.

I do not know anything about UEFI, but you have managed to install Manjaro in the past, presumably from an USB stick?

Yes, no problems at all with that. I had windows 10 installed and installed via ISO on the same usb drive I'm using for this.

Not sure what else I can try other than chain loading from GRUB, I read somewhere you can boot a usb from there. You need to load some modules and have the full file path to the correct file on the usb.

I'll have a look into that. It's a bit above my payload really but I'll see if I can work it out.

Try using Rufus on a Windows machine. That did the trick for me once.

Still, I really don't recommend Windows 10 to anyone, but that's beside the point.

Hey fellas,

Thanks for all your help! Even though we didnt get there! Haha I have given up and am working on finding alternative apps for doing my work. Probably a better solution anyway, this way I dont have to deal with windows!! That has to be good. Manjaro has been lovely to use, except for the odd freeze here and there (need to check drivers etc to see what's causing the hanging etc) I'm pretty happy with it. Anyway, good luck and thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by