Remove pacman repository of sublime-text

Hi there,
I had installed sublime-text through their website by adding their repo. I had uninstalled it through pamac-gtk . Although sublime text is removed , pacman still checks their repo for updates. I cant do system updates if for some reason their repo is down . whenever I do sudo pacman -Syyu I get this:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                       170.1 KiB   607 KiB/s 00:00 [##################################################] 100%
 extra                                                        2.0 MiB   467 KiB/s 00:04 [##################################################] 100%
 community                                                    5.9 MiB   369 KiB/s 00:16 [##################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                   195.2 KiB   723 KiB/s 00:00 [##################################################] 100%
 sublime-text                                              1824.0   B  0.00   B/s 00:00 [##################################################] 100%
 sublime-text.sig                                           543.0   B  0.00   B/s 00:00 [##################################################] 100%

So the question is how do I remove pacman remove sublime-text repo from checking for updates? I general be it any other custom added repo, how do I remove it from checking for updates?

Thanx in advance!!!

The repo should be specified in /etc/pacman.conf. Just edit the file and remove it or comment it out by putting # in the beginning of the line.

4 Likes

Woah that fixed it! Tyy! Just asking by curiosity isnt there any cmd-line utility to do this like ppa-purge in ubuntu ?

1 Like

yep its called nano the linux standard command line editor, or vim, and many more.
But i must ask why did you not install from the repro or AUR that is the Arch way then no need to add 3rd party repros that could break your system.
Sorry did you not learn from Ubuntu PPAs are bad very bad.

3 Likes

Glad you got it sorted out.

isnt there any cmd-line utility to do this like ppa-purge in ubuntu ?

Not what I am aware of.

1 Like

Yeap PPAs are kind of bad. I had installed it by following their instruction on sublime-text website. It was good untill I tried to do system update, but couldnt go further as one of ther repo of sublime-text repo was down. So installed it from aur again!!! Learnt the hard way !!!

Cant pacman -Scc remove unused repos ?

Hmm, don't know. Here is what man pacman says:

SYNC OPTIONS (APPLY TO -S)
-c, --clean
Remove packages that are no longer installed from the cache as well
as currently unused sync databases to free up disk space. When
pacman downloads packages, it saves them in a cache directory. In
addition, databases are saved for every sync DB you download from
and are not deleted even if they are removed from the configuration
file pacman.conf(5). Use one --clean switch to only remove packages
that are no longer installed; use two to remove all files from the
cache. In both cases, you will have a yes or no option to remove
packages and/or unused downloaded databases.

It certainly removes unused sync databases. But if the repo is still in pacman.conf, won't they get downloaded again at the next run of pacman -Syu or perhaps -Syyu ?

1 Like

oh yes they will. I guess I was just thinking of db.
yes. remove them from conf :wink:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by