Replace Network Manager with ConnMan

thats for hotspot.
but i never got it working

Ah thanks. Looks like the field can't be cleared only changed.

I hope it's still allowed to ask a question here (or should i open a new thread?).

So, i installed connman like explained and it works fine. Now, since connman is also able to do bluetooth, i'd like to get rid not only of NetworkManager but also of Blueman and let do connman the job.

But i do not see so clear how the coupling is done through connman.

Thanks in advance for any pointer!

connman only turn on and off bluetooth
you needs bluez-utils package for doing bluetooth task via cmd
and blueberry blueman bluedevil are just gui frontends

Thanks, i see. Practically, once i set connman to start with bluetooth enabled it would call the bluetooth daemon which then would connect/couple to the previously configured devices?

If so, i would not have to autostart blueman-applet or so. Correct?

connecting is not connmans job
its job is only to on/off

After a recent update, I am now receiving a signal strength (yay!) but I'm assuming the algorithm still needs tweaking upstream, as even if I have my laptop right next to the router, signal strength hovers either side of 75% even though the icon is mostly full. Still, I call that progress!

Just a very simple question: Once i have installed (successfully) connman i can completely remove network manager ... (?)

Uninstalling Network Manager is not an easy matter, as it has too many dependencies on most desktops. It is best to simply leave it masked IMO.

If you were simply using a Window Manager it would be less complicated to uninstall. Many DE's are simply too closely tied to NM for it to be easily uninstalled. I think it is best left masked, (unless you are really familiar with sorting out dependencies when uninstalling).

1 Like

I understand ... But, i'm using i3 and the only app which uses one part of networkmanager is blueman (specifically: libnm) all the rest is/would have been gone flawlessly ...

Once again, big thank you for your instructions! ConnMan is great, and in the end very very easy :slight_smile:

[EDIT]
This worked without any problem on an iMac running i3. But, differently i sticked with wpa_supplicant. iwd did not work - and i was too lazy to figure put why :wink:

But on an - old - Macbook (3,1 late 2007) it did not. And i do not understand why. By chance, do you have a tip where to check? Apparently the settings on both machines are identical ... :upside_down_face: )
[EDIT]

Replying to myself: I got Connman working since i completely disabled all networkmanager related systemd services and i did the same with wpa_supplicant.service and enabled iwd.service.

Remains one stupid problem: Booting the machine, connman does NOT connect automatically. I always have to do it handish using cmst. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

retain state, autostart and minimize on startup
in
cmst

I have that set like you say. Nevertheless ... (?)

Great writeup, followed the instructions and connman is working perfectly, j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶u̶t̶o̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶v̶p̶n̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶ ̶B̶a̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶N̶e̶t̶w̶o̶r̶k̶M̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶p̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶A̶P̶.̶ ̶ ̶W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶S̶o̶m̶e̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶p̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶N̶M̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶P̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶p̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶ ̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶m̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶a̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶p̶n̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶i̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶N̶e̶t̶w̶o̶r̶k̶M̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶ ̶
Anway, just thought it might be nice to include openvpn settings in this tutorial as well. I'll try to figure it out and share if I make any progress.

Thanks again for the instructions.

t̶e̶s̶t̶

1 Like

Please do share your findings. I do not use a VPN, so I definitely am not the one to ask in that regard. I believe NM is far more advanced than Connman when it comes to using a VPN.

One last thing I should mention. For those not running a Window Manager (rather than a full desktop) uninstalling Network Manager is very difficult. If you have Network Manager still installed, but in a masked state then you should probably put NetworkManager on your ignore list in pacman.conf to make sure it is not upgraded and enabled by mistake during a full system upgrade.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Skip_file_from_being_upgraded

1 Like

This is all a bit over my head, but as far as I can tell at this point connman requires users to manually add config files in '/var/lib/connman-vpn/' folder. the github version of 'cmst' by andrew-bibb claims to include support for openvpn config files, a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶z̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶v̶p̶n̶,

Either way, I've yet to find a gui available that can create ovpn connections, but I guess this is by design since connman seems to have been created mainly for embedded devices and is driven largely by cli. Maybe building cmst from aur could be an option. According to the gitub page cmst can create vpn, but I didn't see that option on the vpn tab of the version I install '2020-03-07-1'.

As of 2016.01.26 support for VPN connections (create, edit, delete, connect and disconnect) has been added. It is also possible to import an OpenVPN .opvn file. The import function will scan the .opvn file extracting and saving keys and certificates, and then place the proper lines into the provisioning editor.

edit

Note sure if this is relevant or not, but this site looks like it has some good information for anyone looking to dig further..

I have used cmst in the past, but I don't remember much support for VPN's. In that regard Connman is sadly lacking compared to NM.

I was rather surprised when you stated Connman recognized your VPN setup initially.

All the best, and keep us informed of your progress.

S*)t.... I had the vpn turned on at the firewall.... so I was wrong,,, it wasn't connman, it was my firewall that was connecting to the vpn. I'm going to go back and remove that from the post....

So to clerify for anyone else reading,,, connman did NOT recognize my vpn,,, that was my mistake.

if you want a gui for vpn

use qomui

its one of the best for linux

3 Likes

Just thinking out loud, because I'm not currently using Connman and cmst. Perhaps a better solution rather than adding NetworkManager to the pacman ignore list would be to wtite a pacman hook.

A pacman hook that would re-mask NetworkManager after an update might be a better route than freezing NetworkManager at an old version. This way it could be kept at the current version for all its dependencies, but it would be disabled after doing an update.

Here is a link with information on writing pacman hooks.

Anyone writining a hook for this purpose please be sure to post your hook here.

4 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by