Reset Password, now I can't login

I set a basic password when I created my Manjaro installation (gnome). I have been using it for about a week and decided to give it a better password. I went to the settings and changed the password. Now I am unable to login. I am pretty sure I am using a correct password. Are there any issues related to this? Really don't want to have to reinstall.

Thanks

Log as root from TTY and type
passwd YourUSER
you will be asked about root password again then you can change it for your user.

Sorry, can you explain in a little more detail? How do I get to tty and login as root? Thank you

Oh ... Ctrl+Alt+F2 will get you to TTY2
there you log in as root (if you used the same password as for your user when you first created it, then it will be your old password for root). From there you type what i said previously. Hope is not confusing !

okay, I think I got it. just so I know for the future, how do I login to gnome from tty?

Thank you so much for your help. Also, I need to log back out of root first right?

usually using startx but the thing is the server starts anyway on TTY1, so you have to kill it before you log in from TTY2.
Each TTY has is own "space" to call it so ... Ctrl+Alt+F1=TTY1
Ctrl+Alt+F2=TTY2
Ctrl+Alt+F3=TTY3
etc

Probably on Gnome you have to use startgdm

okay, got it. Thank you very much for your help. I was able to login. I am really glad I didn't have to reinstall.

It looks like now I have a keyring issue. I just loaded chrome and got this error: The password you use to log in to your computer no longer matches that of your login keyring

1 Like

That's a different thing ... you need to update that. Since i don't use Gnome and Chrome the way you do, i can't say how to do that.

I found a post talking about using Seahorse to change the passwords so it matches my current password. Is there a way to change root password so it matches or do I just change the chrome passwords?

This is the best i could find related to what you have happening there

Thank you. I have seahorse, but am not sure what to change. I am thinking it might just be easier if I change my password back to what it was.

You change user password with
passwd
Change root password with
sudo passwd
To change keyring, follow the seahorse advice. Simply replace password with current one
(in order for automatic unlock, keyring password needs to match user/login password)
The steps are something like

Seahorse > password tab > login and change the password to match user password

1 Like

Thank you. Is there a single keyring I need to change the password to. When I open seahorse There are "passwords" with a "login" folder and in that folder are several passwords for chrome and others. Then there is a "certificates" section, a "pgp keys" section and a "secure shell" section. Which of these do I change?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by