(RIP: Netty) "She's dead, Jim!"

There are some more kernels to test. I will tell when it is ready.
Update: Ready!

1 Like

LOL! I was considering doing a new install to Netty, using Manjaro-Architect, based on what I've learned doing this, in order to give Debbie a little bit better user-experience vis-a-vis lighter, more Arch-like.

But I've never used Manjaro-Architect before so I may do so on Lappy first, I dunno. Think I'll have a smoke and wait for your reply. :wink:

Better remove the packages you have to the CLI level and then install from that.

If you want to use manjaro-architect anyway, I strongly recommend to use your currently installed system and not the live USB. This way you can use the existing pacman cache.
Just shrink an existing partition to have space where to install with manjaro-architect.
But there isn't any Openbox profile anyway.

Or even better: Install archlinux32 to be the ultimate elite. :face_with_monocle:

Buh-buh-but...wouldn't downloading fresh packages during a clean install produce better results? Does not M-A work that way?

I mean, I have no problems refreshing keyrings, etc. from within if M-A is anything like the old Architect installer...

Even if you launch manjaro-architect from your running Xfce system it will install the newest versions of packages for the selected branch. If you already have the newest version of a package (in pacman's cache) m-a won't download it.

Just try in your xfce4-terminal

sudo pacman -S manjaro-architect
sudo manjaro-architect

OK, I'll see what we're looking at here...it just seems so foreign to me. Yeah, I know I can just del* back to base packages and re-install from there, but clean wipes out all those hidden configs outside /home and that's what I'm looking at doing by going new/clean.

As lightweight as Manjaro Xfce is, it needs to be lighter on Netty for her to perform as well as the Arch Xfce install I wiped. :smiley:

I may put this off 'til tomorrow and play with it in a VM first. A new year, a new install. Besides, I just d/l-d the new 17.1 Plasma & GNOME spins and wanna take them for a drive. :smiley:

Here I agree with you. I woulda lso consider Xfce - even after making it as slim as possible - too heavy for 1GB RAM nowadays.

I would pesonally install JWM, it can be lighter than LXDE if you remove all unneccessary startup applications and services. But for some reasoms which I cannot explain LXDE is the lightest environment which works OOTB for me. Especially when it comes to automounting external devices. But one can also just add devmon to autostart, but it doesn't allow an unmount by the user.

There is not much hidden configs outside /home in Manjaro. And if there were any tey would not be specific to the Xfce edition. MHWD tries to go Xorg out of the way, there is no file /etc/X11/mhwd.d anymore by default last time I checked.

Anyway, have a nice celebration! :fireworks::sparkler:

1 Like

Nice to know that has changed. That was what I was trying to avoid. I will most definitely check out JWM. I've been steering clear of keyboard-driven WMs since my fingers don't work anymore (I'm very grateful for the forum spellchecker), but my wife is not so restricted. In fact, she prefers the keyboard.

You too, my old (in Linux-years) friend! :smiley:

1 Like

You can use my config for jwm if you get stuck it really is simple.

1 Like

Isn't there also Lxqt?

In my experience, if it has a DE it isn't truly appropriate for a netbook such as mine. Openbox, however, makes Netty smile very much. :smiley:

Old screenshot with Netty running Manjaro Openbox in August, 2014:

LXQt is heavier in its minimal configuration. But LXDE(-gtk3) can well get below 100MB at startup.

Glory be! It just so happens I still retain a large collection of old (3 years) Openbox tint2, obmenu, pipemenus, etc. for both Arch and Manjaro installs to Netty.

I recall Arch's setup being a real bear for me, since an unconfigured Openbox is a rather "sparse" environment. :wink:

I'm not going to do anything further to Netty until tomorrow. There's a lot going on outside of computing today that I'd like to take advantage of.

Tomorrow, Imma gonna re-think my "strategy" and will probably take @philm's new i686 Xfce for a spin--maybe install it--then install OB and plunk my old settings down on top of it all. THAT could be an interesting enough experiment, but I'll have Xfce as a fall-back if I run into anything unusual. Besides that, I think Xfce and Openbox compliment each other very well.

Happy New Year! :smiley:

1 Like

Just remember that vanilla [fully normally updated] Windows XP SP3 is 130MB of ram.
So that ought to be your bar. :grin:

As long as you are comfortable without compositing or aliasing and a host of gadgets on your desk then it isnt unreachable.
My old Majnaro-netbook (open-box) ran at somewhere around 117MB. 90-something if I got finnicky and killed not-always-necessary-but-nice-sometimes stuff [wallpaper and panel included and running].

1 Like

Ofc with XP not having compositing either, that shouldn't be a point.
More seriously, and practically relevant OTOH, the windows 7-based "thin pc" edition used 240MB last time I tested in a VM.

Which I guess should give plenty of rom to breath.

LOL! I'll go sub-90 on my wee beastie in OB, compton compositing included, or i'll eat my hat!

(Oh wait, I don't have a hat.)

A cut-down version of WinXP came with Netty. It was a slug-a-bed.

1 Like

My values above are from a 2GB RAM netbook running a bspwm, just started up. It is not the minimum for bspwm, there are some lightweight background services running like screenlocker, update-notifier (the one which uses dunst), NetworkManager. lxdm. It's good that you don't have a hat!
90MB might be from years ago.

eugen@mj Linux 4.4.108-1-MANJARO i686 17.1.0 Hakoila
~ >>> sudo ps_mem
[sudo] password for eugen:
 Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used       Program

64.0 KiB +  47.5 KiB = 111.5 KiB       rootmenu
 88.0 KiB +  52.0 KiB = 140.0 KiB       sleep
104.0 KiB +  40.5 KiB = 144.5 KiB       bspc
 92.0 KiB +  62.0 KiB = 154.0 KiB       cat
132.0 KiB +  63.0 KiB = 195.0 KiB       tail
 72.0 KiB + 125.0 KiB = 197.0 KiB       i3lock-wait-for (2)
124.0 KiB + 171.5 KiB = 295.5 KiB       mylime (3)
260.0 KiB + 119.5 KiB = 379.5 KiB       xtitle
340.0 KiB +  58.0 KiB = 398.0 KiB       sxhkd
308.0 KiB + 214.0 KiB = 522.0 KiB       udevil
288.0 KiB + 244.5 KiB = 532.5 KiB       update-checker
408.0 KiB + 140.5 KiB = 548.5 KiB       bspwm
316.0 KiB + 239.5 KiB = 555.5 KiB       default-termina
440.0 KiB + 188.0 KiB = 628.0 KiB       lxdm-binary
604.0 KiB + 107.5 KiB = 711.5 KiB       crond
552.0 KiB + 232.5 KiB = 784.5 KiB       devmon
436.0 KiB + 455.0 KiB = 891.0 KiB       gdbus
692.0 KiB + 240.0 KiB = 932.0 KiB       xev
504.0 KiB + 561.5 KiB =   1.0 MiB       tmux: client
356.0 KiB + 724.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB       bspwm-session (3)
804.0 KiB + 389.0 KiB =   1.2 MiB       lxdm-session
860.0 KiB + 433.0 KiB =   1.3 MiB       tmux: server
764.0 KiB + 558.5 KiB =   1.3 MiB       systemd-logind
976.0 KiB + 423.5 KiB =   1.4 MiB       dbus-launch (3)
824.0 KiB + 597.0 KiB =   1.4 MiB       (sd-pam)
  1.3 MiB + 119.5 KiB =   1.4 MiB       awk
868.0 KiB + 565.0 KiB =   1.4 MiB       at-spi-bus-launcher
  1.1 MiB + 438.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB       ntpd
992.0 KiB + 684.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB       at-spi2-registryd
  1.3 MiB + 637.5 KiB =   1.9 MiB       systemd-udevd
  1.3 MiB + 609.5 KiB =   1.9 MiB       systemd-journald
  1.5 MiB + 518.0 KiB =   2.0 MiB       sudo
  1.5 MiB + 929.5 KiB =   2.4 MiB       st
  1.6 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   2.7 MiB       dbus-daemon (5)
  2.2 MiB + 878.5 KiB =   3.1 MiB       lemonbar
  3.9 MiB + 147.5 KiB =   4.0 MiB       wpa_supplicant
  1.4 MiB +   2.7 MiB =   4.1 MiB       systemd (2)
  2.9 MiB +   1.4 MiB =   4.3 MiB       zsh (2)
  3.3 MiB +   1.4 MiB =   4.7 MiB       conky-cli
  3.9 MiB +   1.6 MiB =   5.5 MiB       dunst
 10.9 MiB + 832.5 KiB =  11.7 MiB       polkitd
 10.1 MiB +   2.2 MiB =  12.3 MiB       NetworkManager
 11.4 MiB +   1.1 MiB =  12.5 MiB       compton
 14.8 MiB +   1.9 MiB =  16.7 MiB       Xorg
---------------------------------
                        112.3 MiB
=================================

PS: For me it is a no-brainer to install the Manjaro bspwm edition - you can't get a better OS for less RAM. You can get a less usable OS for much more RAM, that's for sure. And the great Arch doesn't have such a well crafted bspwm setup.

It is a matter of two-three commands on Manjaro:

sudo pacman -R manjaro-xfce-settings
sudo pacman -S manjaro-bspwm-settings

manjaro-bspwm-settings should pull all bspwm as a dependency.
I would like to write cp -a /etc/skel/* ~/
see this

but that doesn't work, because dotfiles don't get copied.
Therefore copy the contents of /etc/skel in the file manager to your home folder, overwrite the existing ones if in doubt.

1 Like

She did it before, she can do it again. But sigh that was 2.5 years ago, and nothing stays the same. There will be some kernel-creep, so to speak.

-compton,-conky and you're in the 90's :wink:
Minus dunst and update-checker too and I think you might get in around 89 from those readings.

Forum kindly sponsored by