Root Login

What file systems are you using on these 18TB of storage?

ext4 and XFS

Jonathon has already given you the answer. You can remove the requirement to enter a password for sudo access.

1 Like

So you are not going to give me what I want, even though it is available? Your going to insist that I do it your way. Nice service thanks for that, so I guess I will RIP out the install and thank you for the complete and utter waste of my time and consideration. What is the point of a UI, if you to launch every freaking app from a command line. So thanks, I will remember to take back andy good comments I might have made to folks about you

2 Likes

How many manual documents have you read till now? (rhetorical question..).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Configuration
Example of what you are looking for is included
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Example_entries

Sorry for the poor support to your kind request!
We need more improvement as your servants.. :sob:

2 Likes

Have you ever considered you have been doing things wrong for the last 30 years, I have 10 terabyte of storage. Have never used root to access and read write files. Most DEs don't load a graphical interface as root now a days WMs still do.
And of course slackware does but its still stuck in the 90s not meant as a jibe i use it for years as a second machine.

Also note when wayland become mainline it will not be able to open the interface as root

2 Likes

The awesome community edtion uses LightDM (same as Xfce) but with the slick-greeter instead of the gtk-greeter.

I absolutely agree with @jonathon here (especially considering the comment of Emmanuele Bassi (a GNOME developer) on running GUIs as root):

However, concering the topic of selecting another user in LightDM, there is something which needs to be changed to allow the login in lightdm:

Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and search under [Seat: *] for #greeter-show-manual-login=false. Uncomment that line and change from true to false and save the file. Reboot, as it is required to enable this setting.
Afterwards you will see Login under the login window click on it and enter the username as which you want to login. (Confirmed in a VM of the community edition).

Again: IMO you should not run a graphical session as root.

1 Like

Again I am NOT looking for information to "Allow" me the privledge of typing in sudo every time I want to open something, my request was simple. Considering you do allow it on your normal installs I assumed this would not be a vast undertaking. Apparently though someone got up on the wrong side of the bed and just felt like saying no. So I after spending a lot of time doing installs of distros now have to scrap all of that because some jack booted overlord with delusions of grandeur can prove his worth. I could understand it more if it wasn't natively offered but it is, in that case we wouldn't be talking and wasting more time, so if my sarcasm seems a bit much you might want to consider that.

then whats the point of a UI??

thank you very much!!

You are totaly missing the point I dont type sudo nor does 99% of users just to acces a drive or open a document. please look and learn. users will help you time have moved on.
what is the point of having all this amount of data you do not own?

1 Like

Possibly right, but that is water under the bridge, good to know about wayland at least have time to prepare. Also thank you for a reasoned approach to the question.

Let me ask a different question: Whats the point of running code as root which also could be run and work perfectly fine as an user without the ability to access and change any file in the system including critical ones?

Simply the effort to change everything in system, how I work etc, I don't browse, I don't surf, I work and currently have more than I can get to

Typically the display manager has a setting which allows for typing in the username.

LightDM does not offer that option by default. Many distributions use LightDM with Slick Greeter which defaults to not showing all users nor does it default offer to input both username and password. This is a sane default suited most users - but if it does not suit you and you don't know how to change it - after 30 years?

You have to change that in the configuration.

To accomodate that you can edit by hand - if you know what setting to change - or you can use either lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings or lightdm-settings application. Depending on your chosen ISO it may not be readily avaiable and you need to install it.

1 Like

More I didn't know the setting existed and actually, I was a big KDE user, so a little new to the "newer" gtk stuff. I left gnome several years back when it started changing, moved to KDE but now that is changing so I am back with gtk. Thanks I appreciate your help

I am just curious.
What Manjaro install lets you login as root from the DM login screen?
As far as I know, no Manjaro edition has done this, as long as I have used it.

1 Like

XFCE for sure, I did a full install of it. Ok I am going to bite the bullet. Show me the command that I can use to change the owner ship to my user rather than root. chown jerry:jerry /mount-point?

Most have been a long time ago. Policies change, security gets tightened.

Almost.
sudo chown -R jerry:jerry /mount-point

This changes the ownership of all files in the mount-point and sub directories.

Actually XFCE was version 18 and last week, thanks gonna give this a shot

one thing though I still need to get rid of the password on sudo, thanks

Forum kindly sponsored by